Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Northern Coffee

Northern Coffee - 10% bonus

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2022 8:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1342 posts
1265 upvotes
Calgary

Northern Coffee - 10% bonus

Deal Link:
Expiry:
December 12, 2022
Retailer:
Northern Coffee
Screenshot_20221208-151733.png

Posting because Northern Coffee has come up a few times in other coffee threads. They offer freshly roasted (to order) coffees significantly cheaper than Pilot, Detour, Monogram, et al. Starting at $12.50/lb for their cheapest blend to about $15.50/lb for single origins.

To make the price even better, they have a Christmas promo on where you get 10% more beans (eg. you get 500g when you order a 454g bag).

They are a bit more of a traditional roast than say Monogram, so their "Light" would be closer to a Medium at hipster places, but a lot of people prefer that over a brighter more acidic cup.

Free shipping requires you to buy an unreasonable amount of coffee, but the shipping cost is really not bad (strangely cheaper for 4-9lbs of coffee at $5 than 1-3lbs for $9 to Alberta).
30 replies
Sep 27, 2011
14 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Before I buy, can you tell us where they are based, how long they have been around? Looking for good espresso beans, have you tried theirs, what would you recommend? Thx!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7516 posts
3692 upvotes
Canuckland
cdnmember wrote: Before I buy, can you tell us where they are based, how long they have been around? Looking for good espresso beans, have you tried theirs, what would you recommend? Thx!
They’re from Sherbrooke Quebec but I’ve never tried them before
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1342 posts
1265 upvotes
Calgary
cdnmember wrote: Before I buy, can you tell us where they are based, how long they have been around? Looking for good espresso beans, have you tried theirs, what would you recommend? Thx!
Not sure how long they've been around, you can probably find that on their website.

I bought from them regularly for about a year and a half from 2019-2020 before I got a subscription from Monogram because I find I like the lighter roasts and single farm single origins. I don't like dark roasts, so I typically ordered a combination of the Ethiopia yigacheffe (under fair trade), Costa Rica terrazu, and Tanzania peaberry and used it for both espresso and pourover. Never really tried their blends, and really didn't care for the Monsoon Malabar (must be an acquired taste).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7516 posts
3692 upvotes
Canuckland
Strider wrote: Not sure how long they've been around, you can probably find that on their website.

I bought from them regularly for about a year and a half from 2019-2020 before I got a subscription from Monogram because I find I like the lighter roasts and single farm single origins. I don't like dark roasts, so I typically ordered a combination of the Ethiopia yigacheffe (under fair trade), Costa Rica terrazu, and Tanzania peaberry and used it for both espresso and pourover. Never really tried their blends, and really didn't care for the Monsoon Malabar (must be an acquired taste).
How is it compared to monogram? I wanted to try them but jumped on a sub recently May buy some to freeze
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1385 posts
2127 upvotes
Hammonds
Does anyone else think it's strange that their coffee is taxed?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1385 posts
2127 upvotes
Hammonds
I was wondering why there was tax, ignoring a $9 shipping fee.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7516 posts
3692 upvotes
Canuckland
Ruciz wrote: Does anyone else think it's strange that their coffee is taxed?
I am guessing that’s how they make their money back after the discount. Still cheaper than most
Dec 17, 2009
565 posts
358 upvotes
Not that big of a discount I'd rather still buy from my local beanery.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1342 posts
1265 upvotes
Calgary
Ruciz wrote: Does anyone else think it's strange that their coffee is taxed?
What province are you in? I only see tax on the shipping.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5485 posts
5777 upvotes
I'll have to give this roaster a try. So far I definitely feel like there are two to three tiers of fresh coffee Roaster's and the quality and flavour usually go up as the price goes up. For me it goes

Top tier: Monogram, De Mello, Road Co,

Mid tier: Pilot, Equator Coffee, The Ministry of Coffee and Social Affairs.

Low tier: ByCoffeeCanada, International kafia coffee ltd.

Some of this is flavour dependant as well. I like lighter, citrus and fruity flavours so that informs my rating. In general I'd happily drink any coffee from top and mid tier. The lower tier can be a hit or miss. Of course all three tiers above are far better than Tim's, Starbucks, Kicking horse etc.
Last edited by fatestkid on Dec 9th, 2022 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1342 posts
1265 upvotes
Calgary
DealCanuck wrote: How is it compared to monogram? I wanted to try them but jumped on a sub recently May buy some to freeze
Would definitely be closer to the "warmth" series at Monogram.
A bit hard for me to compare, as I have a Monogram "wonder" subscription. This gives a lot more variety and diverse coffees / flavor notes, which is great because you get more interesting flavors but also sometimes end up with ones that just aren't up your alley. Northern still has some diversity, but a bit roastier and less adventurous, more average coffee notes, but still a great cup.
Dec 9, 2014
440 posts
313 upvotes
GTA
rohit91 wrote: Not that big of a discount I'd rather still buy from my local beanery.
Any beanery's in the GTA?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7516 posts
3692 upvotes
Canuckland
KnobHillFarms wrote: Any beanery's in the GTA?
Pilot, Detour, Balzac’s (freshness depends on location), Rufino
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7516 posts
3692 upvotes
Canuckland
fatestkid wrote: I'll have to give this roaster a try. So far I definitely feel like there are two to three tiers of fresh coffee Roaster's and the quality and flavour usually go up as the price goes up. For me it goes

Top tier: Monogram, Detour, Road Co,

Mid tier: Pilot, Equator Coffee, The Ministry of Coffee and Social Affairs.

Low tier: ByCoffeeCanada, International kafia coffee ltd.

Some of this is flavour dependant as well. I like lighter, citrus and fruity flavours so that informs my rating. In general I'd happily drink any coffee from top and mid tier. The lower tier can be a hit or miss. Of course all three tiers above are far better than Tim's, Starbucks, Kicking horse etc.
Detour is just way overpriced though, most roasters do 340g or 12oz while their packs are of 300g. No doubt their coffee is good
Nov 27, 2010
111 posts
80 upvotes
Doesn’t seem to indicate processing method. Washed natural etc.

Anyone know?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5485 posts
5777 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote: Detour is just way overpriced though, most roasters do 340g or 12oz while their packs are of 300g. No doubt their coffee is good
Woops, I meant to say De Mello and not Detour. Still have to try Detour.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2535 posts
3393 upvotes
West GTA
fatestkid wrote: Woops, I meant to say De Mello and not Detour. Still have to try Detour.
Detour is pretty similar to Pilot in terms of quality in my opinion. Slightly different product mix, but same 'tier' of coffee. I like their half-caf, hard to find a decent pre-blended one and it helps moderate my caffeine intake.
Oct 26, 2010
45 posts
17 upvotes
Orleans, ON
I used to buy my beans regularly from Green Beanery but the shipping was quite high. I switched over to Northern Coffee over a year ago. Their coffee is fantastic, I really like their Tanzania Peaberry coffee. I have tried a lot of different beans and they were all fresh. The shipping is great as well, I usually buy 5lbs at a time and shipping is 5$.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7516 posts
3692 upvotes
Canuckland
Tmem wrote: I used to buy my beans regularly from Green Beanery but the shipping was quite high. I switched over to Northern Coffee over a year ago. Their coffee is fantastic, I really like their Tanzania Peaberry coffee. I have tried a lot of different beans and they were all fresh. The shipping is great as well, I usually buy 5lbs at a time and shipping is 5$.
How long do they take to roast & deliver?