Nov 27, 2013
1428 posts
1825 upvotes

Smith & Wesson AR-15 - $765 /22% off

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
211 off
Great deal on the cheapest american made AR. It does have a dust cover and forward assist. 1:9 twist unfortunately.

This is $60 more than a chinese made clone so well worth it.

38 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
Dammit. I want one.
I already have 3 lowers I want to build on but that's a hell of a price for a name brand.
Mar 15, 2008
305 posts
129 upvotes
Thats actually a really good price. I bought a Palmetto State Armoury AR15 back when the dollar was closer to par for about this price and it didnt even include the rear sights. Ive since sold it and replaced it with a Windham Weaponry AR15 chambered in 7.62x39 since the true RFDer in me isnt interested in paying the premium on .223 and I dont have enough room in my apartment to reload.

Edit: Just read the description and it includes an LAR magazine.. even better!
Mar 6, 2012
720 posts
201 upvotes
Is this thing semi-auto? I didn't think they were legal in Canada.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1428 posts
1825 upvotes
Decivox wrote: Thats actually a really good price. I bought a Palmetto State Armoury AR15 back when the dollar was closer to par for about this price and it didnt even include the rear sights. Ive since sold it and replaced it with a Windham Weaponry AR15 chambered in 7.62x39 since the true RFDer in me isnt interested in paying the premium on .223 and I dont have enough room in my apartment to reload.

223 isnt that much more expensive if you dont count the x39 corrosive stuff.
Canada ammo has the IMI m855 brass cased at less than $15 per box of 30. Why buy anything else.

Not worth reloading
Mar 15, 2008
305 posts
129 upvotes
toy187 wrote: Is this thing semi-auto? I didn't think they were legal in Canada.
Yes Semi- Auto. Need your restricted firearms license. Lots of uses such as 3 gun competition, just target practice, etc.
Mar 15, 2008
305 posts
129 upvotes
RaphaelG041 wrote: 223 isnt that much more expensive if you dont count the x39 corrosive stuff.
Canada ammo has the IMI m855 brass cased at less than $15 per box of 30. Why buy anything else
Got my last case of 1000 rounds non-corrosive new manufacture 7.62x39 for $282 taxes in, works out to just over 28 cents per round. The bulk .223 I was buying was closer to 50 cents a round. Corrosive stuff is even cheaper, but I save that for my SKS. I dont think the gas tube on the AR would appreciate that lol.
Dec 6, 2008
128 posts
78 upvotes
Canada
Is this the weapon at the centre of the controversy regarding reclassification from restricted to non-restricted? CBC Radio As it Happens interviewed Tony Bernardo, Executive Director of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association yesterday, his group is behind the move to reclassify, personally I found his arguments non-compelling. But as they say, different strokes . . . . And to OP, what is wrong with the 1:9 twist?
Mar 15, 2008
305 posts
129 upvotes
bknight wrote: Is this the weapon at the centre of the controversy regarding reclassification from restricted to non-restricted? CBC Radio As it Happens interviewed Tony Bernardo, Executive Director of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association yesterday, his group is behind the move to reclassify, personally I found his arguments non-compelling. But as they say, different strokes . . . . And to OP, what is wrong with the 1:9 twist?
I am doubtful reclassification will happen under the current liberal government, but it would be great day for us AR owners. No reason its classified as restricted currently, just because it looks "scary".

In any case, to answer your question, most prefer a 1:7 . If you shoot regular 55 gr .223 you'd probably see no improvement between a 1:7 and 1:9.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1428 posts
1825 upvotes
bknight wrote: And to OP, what is wrong with the 1:9 twist?
It wont stabilize heavier bullets like the 62gr NATO standard as well. If you're shooting 55gr 1:9 is perfectly fine
Mar 15, 2008
305 posts
129 upvotes
Unfortunately this rifle is restricted by name (even with an 18.6" barrel its still restricted), or coyote (among others) hunting could be added to that list. Since its restricted and bound to use at ranges only, competition/targets is its only use.
Mar 15, 2008
305 posts
129 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Btw, how's the quality of this AR-15. I was gonna get either NEA one or build one from scratch.
NEA had a lot of QC issues in the beginning, but it appears they have ironed things out (at least what I have read in CGN, I do not own an NEA but was in the same position as you last year). This AR15 is very well reviewed and this sale even includes an LAR magazine. IMO Id go with this due to their proven track record.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1428 posts
1825 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Btw, how's the quality of this AR-15. I was gonna get either NEA one or build one from scratch.

I believe they are pretty much on par. You will have a better selection of barrels lenghts, colors, etc with an NEA but they are more expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5281 posts
3762 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Decivox wrote: NEA had a lot of QC issues in the beginning, but it appears they have ironed things out (at least what I have read in CGN, I do not own an NEA but was in the same position as you last year). This AR15 is very well reviewed and this sale even includes an LAR magazine. IMO Id go with this due to their proven track record.
Thanks, I'll heavily consider this. I want to change to quad rail, any suggestions?
Apr 28, 2011
285 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver
Nice deal too bad I just bought a cz 858 =(
Mar 15, 2008
305 posts
129 upvotes
john69est wrote: Nice deal too bad I just bought a cz 858 =(
Lucky you, sold out while I was ordering!