• Apr 10th, 2021 10:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8836 posts
3305 upvotes
Toronto

Norwegian joins many cruise lines to require guests to be fully vaccinated

Norwegian joins many other cruise lines to require guests and crews to be fully vaccinated. The others include Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Cunard, Crystal, Windstar, P&O, Hornblower, Saga, Virgin. This is good news. If I'm going on a cruise, I'd be more comfortable that others are also fully vaccinated, in the enclosed spaces of a ship.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise- ... any-2021-2
35 replies
Penalty Box
Oct 8, 2005
5607 posts
1348 upvotes
Anyone who wants to go on a cruise should watch this.

Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21954 posts
25344 upvotes
Toronto
Also the American Queen Steamboat company

https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompa ... nd-safety/

VACCINATIONS
COVID-19 vaccination is required for all guests and crew for all sailings beginning July 1, 2021
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9271 posts
1331 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Have there been any updates on a "standard" for vaccination confirmations globally?

Kind of similar to how most countries don't accept foreign IDs other than passports, I feel like if there isn't some form of standardization that fakes will start popping out all over the place and without a standard to verify against, it will be much more difficult to verify authenticity.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5646 posts
2468 upvotes
Toronto
I'm surprised HAL isn't one of them. I'm pretty sure all of their passengers would be eligible... ;)
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11596 posts
3855 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote: Anyone who wants to go on a cruise should watch this.

Did you ever went on a cruise. just because of one accident, is not meaning cruise is dangerous or unsafe,

If you think that way, that's fine, stay home but cruise is still the safest way to travel.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1491 posts
361 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: Anyone who wants to go on a cruise should watch this.

Internet Historian is god-level legend status.

IH and All Gas, No Brakes make the best content on Youtube.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2606 posts
1314 upvotes
Ottawa
uber_shnitz wrote: Have there been any updates on a "standard" for vaccination confirmations globally?

Kind of similar to how most countries don't accept foreign IDs other than passports, I feel like if there isn't some form of standardization that fakes will start popping out all over the place and without a standard to verify against, it will be much more difficult to verify authenticity.
There are some standards developing using Blockchain technology for authenticity and privacy. EU will probably be the first to have a standard as the US a bit more reluctant on these type of things.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10213 posts
3174 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
There is a lot of cruise business in Florida.
Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Friday that prohibits businesses from requiring customers to provide any documentation that they’ve gotten a COVID-19 vaccine to gain access or service. Businesses that do will not be able to get state grants or contracts, he said.

In a follow-up tweet, DeSantis said he would push for the Legislature to enshrine his vaccine passport policy into Florida law.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... rylink=cpy

So there could be a scenario in which companies operating worldwide could have a requirement of covid vaccination, and Florida, which has a significant interest in their businesses, is telling them they cannot require evidence of covid vaccination.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2405 posts
791 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: There is a lot of cruise business in Florida.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... rylink=cpy

So there could be a scenario in which companies operating worldwide could have a requirement of covid vaccination, and Florida, which has a significant interest in their businesses, is telling them they cannot require evidence of covid vaccination.
https://www.wtsp.com/article/travel/cru ... b0b9593896
Jun 4, 2013
772 posts
254 upvotes
Vancouver
fogetmylogin wrote: There are some standards developing using Blockchain technology for authenticity and privacy. EU will probably be the first to have a standard as the US a bit more reluctant on these type of things.
Well they won't be used in Canada as JT said that he had no plans to issue any Vaccine passport since he claims it is unfair for those who opt not to take the vaccine.

I feel if people don't want to take it is their business but it just means they just can't travel to place that require prof they have the vaccine. By refusing to provide any doc to show we who have taken the vaccine is really unfair for us. Why should the rest of us suffer?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4979 posts
4024 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: Norwegian joins many other cruise lines to require guests and crews to be fully vaccinated. The others include Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Cunard, Crystal, Windstar, P&O, Hornblower, Saga, Virgin. This is good news. If I'm going on a cruise, I'd be more comfortable that others are also fully vaccinated, in the enclosed spaces of a ship.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise- ... any-2021-2
interesting how they will enforce it as florida, texas which are all big cruise embarkation states banned vaccine passports
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4979 posts
4024 upvotes
sponge5307 wrote: Well they won't be used in Canada as JT said that he had no plans to issue any Vaccine passport since he claims it is unfair for those who opt not to take the vaccine.

I feel if people don't want to take it is their business but it just means they just can't travel to place that require prof they have the vaccine. By refusing to provide any doc to show we who have taken the vaccine is really unfair for us. Why should the rest of us suffer?
it's not for Trudeau or feds to implement anyways, as feds have 0 ability to know who's vaccinated or not. it's a provincial matter
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8836 posts
3305 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: interesting how they will enforce it as florida, texas which are all big cruise embarkation states banned vaccine passports
Yes, will be interesting to see how this plays out. Cruise industry is federally regulated in US, and most cruise ships are registered in Panama.

For me, I'm looking at NCL cruises now that they announced this policy. I'd be more comfortable on a ship knowing everyone's vaccinated, and no anti-vaxxers.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10213 posts
3174 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
sponge5307 wrote: Well they won't be used in Canada as JT said that he had no plans to issue any Vaccine passport since he claims it is unfair for those who opt not to take the vaccine.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think that privacy matters, particularly privacy about health care. On the other hand, I think that sometimes community or collective interests outweigh personal privacy or individual benefit interests.

In addition, I’m not interested in knowing whether someone has been vaccinated.

I am interested in knowing that if I go places where I am likely to be in close proximity to others, that the others are immune from carrying a transmitable disease that has significant risk of serious consequences.

If having been infected by covid and having recovered provides equal protection to vaccination, I don’t care if the person had covid or has been vaccinated.

If there is, or will be, a test that shows that a person is free from risk of transmitting the coronavirus, that’s all I’m interested in a requirement for that kind of “passport”. I don’t know whether current testing provides that information. If testing only indicates that the individual is protected from being symptomatic themself, but can infect others, I don’t see the collective benefit of a “passport”.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Jun 4, 2013
772 posts
254 upvotes
Vancouver
MexiCanuck wrote: I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think that privacy matters, particularly privacy about health care. On the other hand, I think that sometimes community or collective interests outweigh personal privacy or individual benefit interests.

I am interested in knowing that if I go places where I am likely to be in close proximity to others, that the others are immune from carrying a transmitable disease that has significant risk of serious consequences.

If having been infected by covid and having recovered provides equal protection to vaccination, I don’t care if the person had covid or has been vaccinated.

If there is, or will be, a test that shows that a person is free from risk of transmitting the coronavirus, that’s all I’m interested in a requirement for that kind of “passport”. I don’t know whether current testing provides that information. If testing only indicates that the individual is protected from being symptomatic themself, but can infect others, I don’t see the collective benefit of a “passport”.
To be honest I don't see how that's an issue. You get vaccine you get a passport/note that says you got it and when you travel to countries/etc that require you to prof you take the vaccine you have it. Is just like a passport and in some case Visa to enter into that country. If you didn't have a passport/Visa you can't travel country that require it. Now they are just adding a vaccine passport/doc. You don't have to show it the cashier as the local supermarket, you don't have to show it to the restaurant you are going to have dinner so even if you didn't want a vaccine it doesn't affect your daily live. It only comes into affect when you want to travel to countries require that prof. It is their country their rule. If you don't like it then you don't have to travel there.

So the Canadian gov refuse to give any doc/prof for those who have taken the vaccine make no sense coz now they can't travel to country that wants that prof. Is like denying us from getting a Canadian passport coz some people don't want to get it. Is 100% withing their right by way drag everyone else with them? That's my issue.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9271 posts
1331 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sponge5307 wrote: To be honest I don't see how that's an issue. You get vaccine you get a passport/note that says you got it and when you travel to countries/etc that require you to prof you take the vaccine you have it. Is just like a passport and in some case Visa to enter into that country. If you didn't have a passport/Visa you can't travel country that require it. Now they are just adding a vaccine passport/doc. You don't have to show it the cashier as the local supermarket, you don't have to show it to the restaurant you are going to have dinner so even if you didn't want a vaccine it doesn't affect your daily live. It only comes into affect when you want to travel to countries require that prof. It is their country their rule. If you don't like it then you don't have to travel there.

So the Canadian gov refuse to give any doc/prof for those who have taken the vaccine make no sense coz now they can't travel to country that wants that prof. Is like denying us from getting a Canadian passport coz some people don't want to get it. Is 100% withing their right by way drag everyone else with them? That's my issue.
I'm overall in favor of vaccination passports, but it does open the door potentially to some stuff we've not really done so far.
Clinical vaccination and tourism are linked but rarely if ever enforced at the border. If you can make a case for COVID being infectious enough to warrant a check before entering a country, why wouldn't you also want it for other potentially harmful diseases? Will passports then just become a vaccination booklet? Will I not be allowed into a country if I haven't taken my malaria, HIV or other vaccination? It's probable they wouldn't go that far, but a precedent is a precedent and then you'd definitely have potentially ripple effects as countries like the US (or developing nations) that don't give free vaccinations to their population (or are only doing it for COVID) may negatively impact those people's abilities to travel for leisure or for new work opportunities.

The counter argument is that border officers are allowed to deny visas/access to their country to non-citizens for whatever reason they see fit (as non-citizens aren't entitled to a right to enter).
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16018 posts
13254 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MexiCanuck wrote: I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think that privacy matters, particularly privacy about health care. On the other hand, I think that sometimes community or collective interests outweigh personal privacy or individual benefit interests.

Vaccines don’t provide immunity
They provide protection from the most severe reaction to the virus / disease
(In the case of original Covid 19 ... this means protection against Death or Hospitalization ) **

So someone may have been vaccinated, but still get a milder version of the virus
Or get it and not know it ... cuz they are asymptomatic
This is why we are continuing with social distancing measures & masks etc

The virus is still circulating
It’s looking for new hosts
** And it will mutate to make that happen

Which is WHY right now the variants are wrecking havoc by being more aggressive
With a higher transmission rate
And these new variants are 5x more deadly than the original Covid 19 we saw in Canada

Also explains why we are rushing to get folks vaccinated

Esp now as the variants has moved onto the younger population

The key to vaccination ... is making it harder for the virus to find a vulnerable host
And that lies in mass vaccination = herd immunity
Where the highest percentage of people are vaccinated
The higher the percentage ... the better the chance of closing out the disease ... pretty much entirely

Experts vary on the minimum number ... 70%, 75%, or 80%
Buts it’s pretty high
The more people vaccinated, then the sooner we get there

This is precisely why SMALLPOX is considered ELIMINATED
And WHY things like MEASLES in most cases is no longer a childhood killer

But ... MEASLES, the killer ... is making a comeback cuz not every kid is vaccinated by Anti Vaxers
Most of them stating that they don’t see why
Thinking that the Measles they see isn’t a killer ... it’s just a childhood thing ... like Chicken Pox

But it’s not ...
cuz if you are vaccinated against these diseases ... then you don’t get the killer dose
You end up getting a milder version

And so it’ll be with Covid
Until we get to Herd Immunity
The DEADLY VERSIONS will still be out there
Looking for new hosts / victims

And so the vaccine race is on
Trying to get as many citizens vaccinated before the mutations get even stronger
Stats on the mutations are already showing them taking a stronger hold in the younger community
With more people getting severely sick in the 20 to 50 age group
And many of them now sadly fighting for their lives in ICUs
And their death toll rising daily

Our biggest fight is right now
Getting folks vaccinated ASAP

And until the world reaches herd immunity
It’s gonna be to everyone’s benefit
That records are kept on who is vs who isn’t
Just like Public Health does this now for our citizens from birth
Be it ... Measles, Mumps, Rubella - Varicella (Chicken Pox) - HEP A & HEP B - Rotavirus - HIB - Diphtheria, Tetanus & Acellular Pertussis - PCV 13 - IPV etc

Smallpox - Polio - and TB Vaccines are no longer being given in Canada cuz we’ve reached herd immunity

And so it goes

I am looking forward to my vaccine appointment
So things for me can get back to “almost normal “
And I will be able to travel again
See more family & friends etc
And yes even travel internationally ... maybe take a cruise
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4436 posts
422 upvotes

The PM's comment on a vaccine passport was in regards to domestic matters, not international. We have no sovereignty or real say in the matters of other nations.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10213 posts
3174 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
sponge5307 wrote: To be honest I don't see how that's an issue. You get vaccine you get a passport/note that says you got it and when you travel to countries/etc that require you to prof you take the vaccine you have it. Is just like a passport and in some case Visa to enter into that country. If you didn't have a passport/Visa you can't travel country that require it. Now they are just adding a vaccine passport/doc. You don't have to show it the cashier as the local supermarket, you don't have to show it to the restaurant you are going to have dinner so even if you didn't want a vaccine it doesn't affect your daily live. It only comes into affect when you want to travel to countries require that prof. It is their country their rule. If you don't like it then you don't have to travel there.

I think this is partially correct, but only partially.

I think the federal government doesn't have the information. Passports are an international issue. That is federal jurisdiction in the Canadian constitution.

Under the constitution, health care is in provincial jurisdiction. Provincial governments are organizing, allocating, administering, etc. the vaccinations.

The federal government can issue passports because it has the information and the jurisdiction. It has neither the jurisdiction nor the information to issue "covid passports".

A visa to enter a country is issued by the country being visited, not by the country of origin. For example, Canada cannot issue a visa for entering Mexico. A Canadian asks Mexico to give them a visa to visit Mexico. Mexico (or any other government) can decide whether or not to issue the visa.

A country might put conditions on issuing a visa to an applicant. A condition might be, for example, a certificate issued by a medical practitioner certifying that the person has had
Recommendations

Consult a health care provider or visit a travel health clinic, as early as possible (preferably six weeks or more) before you travel.

Get vaccinated

It is recommended that you get the yellow fever vaccine before you travel if you are going to a country:

that requires proof of yellow fever vaccination to enter (on an International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis).
where there is a risk of yellow fever.

In Canada, the vaccine is available only at designated Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres.

The single-dose vaccine against yellow fever is safe, effective and recommended for most people who are over nine months of age.

The vaccine is generally not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women, children under the age of nine months, adults 60 years and older (especially those who have not previously received the vaccine) and people with weakened immune systems.

If you are receiving the vaccine for the first time, be aware that it takes ten days for it to become effective (the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will only be valid ten days after the date of vaccination).
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... fever.html

Note that the yellow fever vaccination certificate is not a "passport" and is not issued by the government of Canada. It is a medical document issued by a medical practitioner to a patient.
sponge5307 wrote: So the Canadian gov refuse to give any doc/prof for those who have taken the vaccine make no sense coz now they can't travel to country that wants that prof. Is like denying us from getting a Canadian passport coz some people don't want to get it. Is 100% withing their right by way drag everyone else with them? That's my issue.
It is nothing at all like that. People apply to the federal government for an international passport because the federal government has the jurisdiction and information necessary to issue a passport.

The federal government doesn't have the medical information needed and doesn't have constitutional jurisdiction.

If you want to complain about an authority not issuing a document, I suggest you direct your unhappiness at those who have the constitutional jurisdiction and the information necessary to issue the document. Otherwise, it is like complaining that the federal government denied someone a driver's license when the federal government doesn't issue driver's licenses.