Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
1961 posts
650 upvotes
gta

Nose bleed from 5 yr old

My 5 yr old daugther has nose bleed a few times the past week. Twice during her sleep. We noticed red spot her pillow and cheek. Just now, she has the most dramatic bleed. It lasted about 5 min.
Anyone have this experience
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1775 posts
1114 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Yes. Usually it’s not a big deal, My youngest gets nose bleeds all the time, her dad does too. In our case, doctor says because the nose is too dry. They told us to use sinus rinse and put a little Vaseline there. An occasional nose bleed isn’t a big deal, but if you are worried or it seems odd, then don’t ask the internet, go to the doctor. Every person is different, but general no, nose bleed in a kid which stops in under 15 minutes is not a big deal.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
1961 posts
650 upvotes
gta
Macx2mommy wrote: Yes. Usually it’s not a big deal, My youngest gets nose bleeds all the time, her dad does too. In our case, doctor says because the nose is too dry. They told us to use sinus rinse and put a little Vaseline there. An occasional nose bleed isn’t a big deal, but if you are worried or it seems odd, then don’t ask the internet, go to the doctor. Every person is different, but general no, nose bleed in a kid which stops in under 15 minutes is not a big deal.
Yea just took her to walkin clinic and doctor said maybe house too dry. Turn on humidifier for her and put vasiline in her nose.
I worry cause we are going on a road trip tomorrow to chicago
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
Go to the doctor just to make sure but it might be just dry air since you say it happens at night.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3821 upvotes
Wish my house was dry. My hygrometer always hovers at 60+ humidity. It's almost impossible to get bellow 50% even on sunny days, and that's with dehumidifiers... It's a pain in winter with windows sweating every single day...
Banned
Jul 31, 2019
8 posts
Kent
My niece has the same problem at the age of 7, but it just stopped after about 6 months. Doctors said she had pemporary blood preassure problems, which are quite common when a child is growing fast and too active
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12202 posts
1127 upvotes
Brampton
Ear/nose/throat doctor can burn away the blood vessel in her nose if the bleeding happens too often.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2731 posts
476 upvotes
Ancaster
When my son was a toddler he had a very active sensitive vein in his nose that caused constant nose bleeds. It didn't help that he always had his fingers in his nose either.

Our doctor eventually suggested we have the vein cauterized, which we did. It's been better since then.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11409 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
Likely picking it without really realizing it (often happens in sleep). My 5 yr old was doing it here and there earlier in the year, but since I told her to stop, it hasn't occurred.
Feb 4, 2017
256 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
Vaseline helps, so does humidifier.

I have had nosebleeds my entire life. combination of picking, dryness and having a vein too close to the sidewall. Ive had it cauterized in the past but still bleeds. Before it was cauterized, if i were to rub my nose, or move from sleeping on my left, to sleeping on my right, it would bleed. super sensitive. After cauterization, it feels like there is a booger there all the time, sometimes i would pick it thinking it was a booger. Or blow my nose 100 times to try and get it out. Not comfortable. When using Vaseline, it would feel like my nose is clogged, I hate using it, but it does help.

My 2 year old also has nosebleeds at night. She has yet to master the art of nose picking, and knowing when to stop.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4635 posts
2013 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Keeping one's nose clear helps. Try sea/salt water/saline spray up the nose half hour before bedtime and blowing nose.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.