None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1410 posts
859 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada

Not activating card?

So I made the mistake of letting my wife go shopping alone and she unwittingly signed up for an HBC Mastercard to get an extra discount on the purchase.

Card arrived in the mail today curious if she doesn't activate it and just pays off the balance will the account eventually be closed or she needs to call in?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1037 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
you seem controlling much. all I'm gonna say :))))))))
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Mar 14, 2018
478 posts
528 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
To answer the question, it depends on the card. Looking at the terms, there is an inactivity fee after 6 months, which leads me to believe they wouldn't close the card unless if went in derogatory status.
As such, you'll have to call to cancel it. Since your wife is the one who applied, she is the one who needs to call, as the card is in her name and financial responsibility.
American Express Platinum | Rogers World Elite
Author of The American Express Atlas
iPhone 12 Pro Max | Apple Watch Series 4 | MacBook Pro 2019 | SKYFALL 6.0
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5041 posts
1679 upvotes
canucks4life wrote: So I made the mistake of letting my wife go shopping alone and she unwittingly signed up for an HBC Mastercard to get an extra discount on the purchase.

Card arrived in the mail today curious if she doesn't activate it and just pays off the balance will the account eventually be closed or she needs to call in?
She put a charge on the card which you have to pay off and you still need to activate the card?

I assume she got automatic approval because she used one of her current credit cards as credit reference?

It may be an active card already.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1410 posts
859 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
Speedy1 wrote: She put a charge on the card which you have to pay off and you still need to activate the card?

I assume she got automatic approval because she used one of her current credit cards as credit reference?

It may be an active card already.
It was instantly approved in store...HBC gives a receipt with a temporary shopping pass and you get like 20% discount for the rest of the day.

Kind of curious what bonus clerks get for new activations.