None
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4046 posts
502 upvotes
Thornhill
rsauve wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 9:12 pm
Thanks for the replies. Now how do I set up my VPN for torrents?
If you are using Azureus, chances are, it will detect vpn and ask to set it up. Basically, unless you are on VPN, you won't be able to use the client. Which is nice because if you loose a connection and download even 1 byte of whatever you are trying to download, those scammers-will send you a notice.
I've began collecting notices in hopes they will try to sue me. I already have 189 notices from Bell in a few months. I basically start downloading and cancel right away. They won't try to sue me so I am just playing around. A few people I know have over 500 notices and they are in USA, where it's so much easier to sue. Copyright trolls won't try it in Canada so yo all are safe.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1416 upvotes
Richmond
Remember those Scottish highlanders in the movie "Braveheart" who mooned the English army to show how brave and contemptuous they were?

It was cut from the movie, but right before they got arrows in the ass they said "come on everyone, join us, yo all are safe!". Astonished Face
Oct 26, 2015
83 posts
13 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Has anyone ever received a serious threat from 20th Century Fox etc.? Not the first time I got caught downloading stuff lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1049 posts
366 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
Hey guys,

Yesterday I got a notice twice about downloading Suits. The thing is no one in my family watches suits, so should I be concerned?
Apr 10, 2011
844 posts
521 upvotes
Montreal
Don't be overly concerned but change your Wi-Fi password and IP address.
If you find my posts useful, an upvote would be appreciated.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4046 posts
502 upvotes
Thornhill
nayan97 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 7:55 am
Hey guys,

Yesterday I got a notice twice about downloading Suits. The thing is no one in my family watches suits, so should I be concerned?
If you are 100% sure nobody watched it or tried to download it then there's a good chance your wife is open or was hacked(very-very easy to do by anyone with a phone...). That or there were instances in the past of these notices sent to wrong people as dynamic IPs change and their system may have made a mistake. Happened before! This is why you shouldn't concern about the copyright part at this point at all and instead try to figure out how it may have happened.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4046 posts
502 upvotes
Thornhill
Badiha wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 7:02 pm
Has anyone ever received a serious threat from 20th Century Fox etc.? Not the first time I got caught downloading stuff lol.
When people aren't threatened, they aren't listening...this is why they make their letters sound very serious. ALL of these letters are just informative pieces of communication you should read and dismiss.
Aug 5, 2008
661 posts
167 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 12:34 pm
If you are 100% sure nobody watched it or tried to download it then there's a good chance your wife is open or was hacked(very-very easy to do by anyone with a phone...)
sorry, made me giggle :)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7499 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
rsauve wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 7:32 pm
Actually I used PIRATEBAY to download the movie "Green Room" one day this week,
the next day I received notice that if I pay $195 - they (the distributor?) won't prosecute me.
Guilty as charged. Should I just ignore this??

I thought that using a VPN would save me in this situation.Disappointed But Relieved Face
I'm a bit late, but no don't pay it.. lol. They're phishing. Was your name anywhere in the email/letter they sent you? Nope. That's because they don't know who you are. As soon as you respond to that email/letter they find out... They can't get your person info without a court order. Make them pay for lawyers :) I think there's only been one or two cases of companies trying to get the customer info for ip addresses. As far as I remember it's still being dragged out (Teksavvy, lost, but they appealed how much the racketeering company had to pay to get the info, so I don't think they've given it out yet).
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4310 posts
2623 upvotes
North York
People still download torrents directly?
I use those debrid, pay of course, but they download the torrents for you, and give you direct links. They also unlock premium links for instant downloads

Regarding this issue, I don't know how they send you an email, unless you somehow provided them through phishing. Or if it's one of those popups, then it's just scare tactics.

And worst case, this is real, and they actually bring you to court, you suddenly realize your wifi internet has been open for the past 10 years, with no password, and since you aren't techsavvy at all, someone must have been using your internet.???
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
410 upvotes
Ottawa
konsensei wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 4:46 pm
Regarding this issue, I don't know how they send you an email, unless you somehow provided them through phishing. Or if it's one of those popups, then it's just scare tactics.

And worst case, this is real, and they actually bring you to court, you suddenly realize your wifi internet has been open for the past 10 years, with no password, and since you aren't techsavvy at all, someone must have been using your internet.???
Studios send IPs, dates + other info & notices to ISPs who then identifies and forwards those notices to users. There are also scammers sending fake notices to phish for some cash and personal info.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6286 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver
konsensei wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 4:46 pm

Your ISP, whether it's Bell, Telus, Shaw, Rogers, etc. send the letters on their behalf.

Playing ignorant doesn't get you very far in the court system.

I am not implying that people should panic should they get these letters, but there is a paper trail with your ISP that is kept. With Shaw, the last I heard it's for 6 months.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4310 posts
2623 upvotes
North York
Pavel wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 11:06 pm
Your ISP, whether it's Bell, Telus, Shaw, Rogers, etc. send the letters on their behalf.

Playing ignorant doesn't get you very far in the court system.

I am not implying that people should panic should they get these letters, but there is a paper trail with your ISP that is kept. With Shaw, the last I heard it's for 6 months.
That's totally arguable.

When my computer was hacked, money taken from my paypal. After some investigations, PayPal said, since the transactions were done on my computer (they track Mac address?), there'd be nothing they could do. Called Rogers, my ISP at the time, they did nothing to help other than "no, your internet seems fine, firewall has been up and well".

from what I see and understand:
1. phishing scam
2. they'd take you to court, but they'd most likely not win.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41518 posts
10205 upvotes
Surprised people are still bittorrenting naked without a vpn.

I guess the law is indifferent unlike in the States but I got myself a lifetime subscription to hotspot shield elite and also use that to watch US amazon prime videos for $75 CAD.

Didn't want to pay $5/month for some top rated VPN services.