• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 6:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1472 posts
80 upvotes

Noticed front lower teeth sensitive today when brushing teeth

I think my gyms are receeding. I was doing some research and I think it's because I'm brushing too hard. Does anyone have any solutions?

I was doing some research just now that mentions:

1. drinking green tea
2. swishing with sesame or coconut oil
3. sea salt mixed with water and gargling it

Do any of these work? Also if I gargle with the sea salt solution, am I supposed to rinse my mouth afterwards with water to remove the saltiness and taste or does that defeat purpose of doing it in the first place?
7 replies
Dec 15, 2015
532 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
wolf30 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 4:43 am
I think my gyms are receeding. I was doing some research and I think it's because I'm brushing too hard. Does anyone have any solutions?

I was doing some research just now that mentions:

1. drinking green tea
2. swishing with sesame or coconut oil
3. sea salt mixed with water and gargling it

Do any of these work? Also if I gargle with the sea salt solution, am I supposed to rinse my mouth afterwards with water to remove the saltiness and taste or does that defeat purpose of doing it in the first place?
Why not find out the actual problem before randomly treating a self diagnosis.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1472 posts
80 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 9:29 am
Why not find out the actual problem before randomly treating a self diagnosis.
I don't got medical insurance at the moment and don't got the funds to fork over for a dental checkup
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1475 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Brush more lightly is one thing. A hygienist told me that it doesn't take much effort to brush away the tartar. When you brush, spend more effort on the problem areas.

Floss everyday and really get in where your gums are sore. Spend more effort on the problem areas. It will feel sore for about a week.

Use Sensodyne toothpaste (you can get some from Costco). It's not a magical formula but it should help with the sensitivity. I don't know how it works but some people seem to swear by it. I don't have sensitive teeth so I'm not sure how well it works.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
May 13, 2012
253 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Find out what the problem is. Most likely you will be paying 135 max. You can ask before making an appointment. If you don’t want to, try colgate pro relief.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27175 posts
13152 upvotes
Ottawa
Switch to Sensodine toothpaste and see if it will help with the sensitivity.
Feb 1, 2012
959 posts
1007 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
I recently had a tender spot on my lower front gum. I only noticed it when brushing, and thought it may have been from a scrape by eating something crunchy like a nut, or chip or crusty bread. It healed within a week.

My dental hygenist has noted some recession of my gums. She recommended Proxabrush for cleaning between my lower front teeth (it's like a very tiny bottle brush that cleans better than floss). She also gave me a Sulcus brush which is a short pointy shaped brush for massaging my gumline.

I also rinse or gargle with salt water for sensitive gums or sore throat respectively. Both Mom and my dental hugenist recommend it. I always rinse after... not sure if that's the right technique or not.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Oct 3, 2017
181 posts
106 upvotes
Once you have gum recession the best you can hope for is that it doesn't get worse. A gum graft is the only way to add more gum tissue. I had one for 4 lower front teeth and it was about $1800.
Since you are self diagnosing maybe you don't have recession. Go to a dentist twice a year money or not or it will cost you a lot more down the road and you could end up losing teeth which is even more expensive.