Tags:
[OP]
Mar 25, 2008
264 posts
1076 upvotes
Metrotown / Burnaby …

From now on can use Aeroplan Miles to cover Taxes, Fees and Surcharges

Just received an email from TD advising :

Your Aeroplan Miles are more flexible than ever before!
Now you can use your miles to cover Taxes, Fees and Surcharges too.

XXXX, now when you redeem your Aeroplan Miles1 for a flight reward, you have the flexibility to use them to cover the Taxes, Fees and Surcharges associated to your flight reward. It’s easy – book your flight and you’ll be given the option to cover the entire amount using either your miles or a charge to your TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card. The choice is yours!

Links to: https://www4.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardF ... ookie=true

Finally.

Now, let's all pay a visit to our friend Jerry's list of ongoing deals :)
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3816 posts
2189 upvotes
GTA
Sometimes, it's not worth it.

Example: 15,000 for a round trip to Winnipeg from Toronto. Taxes are $170. To pay the $170, you must cough up 18,000 points. For a total of 33,000 points. That works out to 0.015 cents per mile. Without paying the taxes using miles, the trip costs 0.022 cents per mile.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3580 posts
3153 upvotes
Toronto
I got a rate of 24,000pts to cover $400 fees
Mar 3, 2017
455 posts
227 upvotes
Woodstock
Nice!

Anyone have any idea how well this will work in practice? I've never booked with Aeroplan before.

Also, who the hell is Jerry? lol
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3679 posts
1183 upvotes
Canada
24k points for $400, that's hot...

Anything over 1cent per mile is a good deal tbh
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7255 posts
1239 upvotes
Toronto
badsha wrote: 24k points for $400, that's hot...

Anything over 1cent per mile is a good deal tbh
CapitolOne yields 2 cents for every dollar you spend, so you'd be better off paying your fees taxes etc. with your CapitolOne points I think.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
1523 posts
274 upvotes
dracolnyte wrote: I got a rate of 24,000pts to cover $400 fees
Aeroplan point have some of the worst taxes ever on flights. 400 seems inflated. 240 is probably the real fees.
Feel the wraith of the Old English Sheepdog.
Jul 16, 2007
313 posts
687 upvotes
Hmmm good to know, but I think I'll just save my points and use them when traveling internationally on carriers which don't have exuberant taxes and fees.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1794 posts
3674 upvotes
Vancouver
Last week, I booked a multi-city trip from Vancouver > Montreal > Toronto >Vancouver with points. Cost 25000 points, with $181 in taxes.
Was given the option of paying the taxes with 21311 points. I declined because 0.85 cents per point didn't seem like a good deal...
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2977 posts
1250 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Is this only with the TD Aeroplan Infinite? I'm getting mine in the mail soon but just wondering.
Mar 3, 2016
53 posts
23 upvotes
It's good to have the option. For people who are points-rich but cash-poor, having the ability to pay off an entire flight with points is nice.
Jul 3, 2008
526 posts
361 upvotes
Ontario
SkinnyMilk wrote: It's good to have the option. For people who are points-rich but cash-poor, having the ability to pay off an entire flight with points is nice.
If you're points-rich you're either cash-rich or its comped by work.

This is RFD so you're looking to get the most mileage for your dollar. Either way, you'll likely get more value per mile by paying out of pocket for the taxes.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8374 posts
1258 upvotes
TO
RWCantel wrote: Nice!

Anyone have any idea how well this will work in practice? I've never booked with Aeroplan before.

Also, who the hell is Jerry? lol
lol I've paged him, he will be paying this thread a visit soon :)
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
May 9, 2008
28 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote: lol I've paged him, he will be paying this thread a visit soon :)
Interested in what Jerry has to say. I have a bunch of Aeroplan points to use up!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1330 posts
791 upvotes
Ottawa
Generally not worth it, except in special circumstances.
Seems the "value" of a point from using it to pay the fees is on the order of 1c/mile or so (there are some exceptions above). If you play the game carefully, you can still usually get more than 1.2-1.5c/mile, sometimes more than 2c/mil,e for redeeming for "base fare only" (the old way) in economy. And substantially more in business or first.

The exceptions when I would consider it:
  1. As in one of the examples above, the fees part values the additional points at over 1.5c/mile
  2. You accumulate miles slowly, but now have enough to redeem for the fees, and don't expect to accumulate more terribly quickly. So the extra pts will be half-orphaned and this provides you a way of using them.
  3. You have oodles of miles, and are worried inflation will erode their value before you get around to using them
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7701 posts
1387 upvotes
Toronto
Good to know. Now if they bring back the Aeroplan Star Challenge...... that would be hot.