Computers & Electronics

Is now (Sept 2021) an unusually bad time to be buying a laptop?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 9:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2300 posts
893 upvotes

Is now (Sept 2021) an unusually bad time to be buying a laptop?

To preface this, I'm not a technology "chaser" always looking for the latest and greatest - I replace my laptop every 5-6 years.

So with that said, I'm at the 6 year mark to replace my laptop and started doing my research. One thing I've come across is Windows 11 is on the horizon (in about a month), and some articles have suggested that there will be a ton of new laptops on the market to take advantage of this upgrade cycle

As someone who hasn't really ever bought a laptop/computer in a "Windows upgrade" year, does it make sense for me to wait another few months and let Windows 11 laptops be released (along with the associated spec bumps/hardware upgrades), or is this pretty irrelevant?
9 replies
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2007
971 posts
589 upvotes
Mississauga
if you find something you like just buy it. just check that it has TPM 2.0 or whatever windows 11 needs and you'll be fine. who knows if the "chip" shortage will affect prices of computers
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4702 posts
1167 upvotes
winner2000 wrote: As someone who hasn't really ever bought a laptop/computer in a "Windows upgrade" year, does it make sense for me to wait another few months and let Windows 11 laptops be released (along with the associated spec bumps/hardware upgrades), or is this pretty irrelevant?
The big upgrades for mobiles have probably been made for this year, AMD with their 5000 series mobile chips and Intel's 11th Generation Tiger Lake six and eight cores. The one launch remaining is Intel's 12th Generation Alder Lake but they're targeted at the desktop enthusiast market so I don't think you'll gain too much waiting.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5761 posts
2726 upvotes
Ancaster
SLee wrote: The big upgrades for mobiles have probably been made for this year, AMD with their 5000 series mobile chips and Intel's 11th Generation Tiger Lake six and eight cores. The one launch remaining is Intel's 12th Generation Alder Lake but they're targeted at the desktop enthusiast market so I don't think you'll gain too much waiting.
Agreed. AMD's next chips are not scheduled until late-2022 and RDNA2 will continue to be in short supply due to COVID-19 and AMD's requirements to supply the console makers.

The real wild card is the M1X Macs that are scheduled for later this year. It's going to be very, very interesting to see what M1 can do when 50% of its cores aren't efficiency and it has double the GPU cores. On top of that, there are rumours that Liquid Retina XDR is going into the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air, which will shit all over almost every laptop display currently available.

If you are not wedded to Windows and don't need something now, I would wait until November.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
6144 posts
2670 upvotes
Debtario
Anything wrong with your current laptop? If it works well I wouldn't bother upgrading unless there is some specific reason.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2300 posts
893 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Anything wrong with your current laptop? If it works well I wouldn't bother upgrading unless there is some specific reason.
The touchscreen is completely dead, the trackpad is now useless and battery lasts <1 hour. It's hanging in there but it seems to be coming to the end of its life.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
4333 posts
3303 upvotes
Vancouver
Chip shortage continues to have an impact, so if you spot a great deal, you should buy it. Windows 11 doesn't require anything new that hasn't been widely implemented in the past couple years.

For example, there were pretty decent AMD-based 14" notebooks like IdeaPad 5 and ThinkBook 14 earlier this year for around $700 but they're nowhere to be found now.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2015 posts
1800 upvotes
Ottawa
I'll be looking for a good deal.

My wife and my personal laptops are 9 years old and both pre-date our relationship. A marriage and (almost) 2 kids later and I wouldn't be surprised to see them start smoking one of these days.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 26, 2007
5753 posts
3267 upvotes
Toronto
Some popular upcoming date would be Oct 5 when new windows 11 will be released, when there would be more advertisement with it or without, promoting obsolete models that can't update to windows 11.

If you can even wait even longer, BF would be better date to buy a new laptop.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
5103 posts
2010 upvotes
winner2000 wrote: To preface this, I'm not a technology "chaser" always looking for the latest and greatest - I replace my laptop every 5-6 years.

So with that said, I'm at the 6 year mark to replace my laptop and started doing my research. One thing I've come across is Windows 11 is on the horizon (in about a month), and some articles have suggested that there will be a ton of new laptops on the market to take advantage of this upgrade cycle

As someone who hasn't really ever bought a laptop/computer in a "Windows upgrade" year, does it make sense for me to wait another few months and let Windows 11 laptops be released (along with the associated spec bumps/hardware upgrades), or is this pretty irrelevant?
Black Friday ... the friday after american thanksgiving
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Top