Food & Drink

Now Shipping to Canada, Soylent (Simple, healthy, and affordable food)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2015 7:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8627 upvotes
GTHA

Now Shipping to Canada, Soylent (Simple, healthy, and affordable food)

We heard you, Canada.

Video link: https://vimeo.com/130569922

Soylent is now shipping to all ten provinces, with an estimated shipping time of under 48 hours.
Order today at www.soylent.com

Une poudre bientôt offerte au Canada pour remplacer vos repas
Le Journal de Montréal - ‎Jun 15, 2015‎
Soylent s'affiche comme une solution complète sur le plan nutritionnel, abordable et pratique, ce qui lui a valu une certaine popularité aux États-Unis. En plus de ...

Soylent Now Shipping to Canada
Techvibes (blog) - ‎Jun 15, 2015‎
The popular meal replacement Soylent announced today that it is now available to Canadians and shipping direct-to-consumer via Canada Post. Soylent is an engineered staple food designed to provide maximum nutrition with minimal effort.

Put away the poutine: Soylent ships to Canada starting today
Ars Technica (blog) - ‎Jun 15, 2015‎
The food substitute Soylent has gained a highly requested feature this morning: international shipping. We've written quite a bit about the powdered meal product over the past couple of years, and pretty much every article saw non-US Ars readers interested ...

Soylent, the popular meal replacement, comes to Canada
OurWindsor.ca - ‎Jun 15, 2015‎
Canada is about to get a taste of Soylent, the powdered meal-in-a-packet that wants to do for food what Amazon did for department stores, Uber did for taxis and Netflix did for cable — displace it. Soylent, which advertises itself as nutritionally complete, ...

Soylent, the popular meal replacement, comes to Canada
Toronto Star - ‎Jun 15, 2015‎
Despite what the name might suggest to Charlton Heston fans, Soylent is not made of people. In Soylent 1.5, the latest iteration of the product, the carbohydrates, protein, fats and vitamins come from a blend of three dozen ingredients, including rice protein, ...

What is Soylent? (video)

24 replies
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10290 posts
10472 upvotes
Toronto
Is this Soylent Green? If it is, I am in for 10 boxes.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1045 posts
336 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: Is this Soylent Green? If it is, I am in for 10 boxes.
Nope cheap knockoff... They state plainly it does not contain people. Bummr :(
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7159 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
Anikiri wrote: Is this Soylent Green? If it is, I am in for 10 boxes.
first thought that came to my mind
+1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7159 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
80g of protein, 223g of carbs
no thanks Jeff
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7205 posts
7004 upvotes
Toronto
Det. Thorn: Ocean's dying, plankton's dying... it's people. *Soylent Green is made out of people.* They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!
Hatcher: I promise, Tiger. I promise. I'll tell the Exchange.
Det. Thorn: You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! Soylent Green is people! We've gotta stop them somehow!
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
20798 posts
31198 upvotes
ONTARIO
looks like something you'd feed to prison inmates. Makes me think of gruel.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5131 posts
583 upvotes
in a plane
Is people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit] okay i'm way late with that comment. But really, that's a terrible brand name... for food.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28410 posts
13971 upvotes
"Provide a better alternative to what we usually eat"
*has steak in the background*
Yeah... I'm pretty sure there's nothing better than steak.

Seriously... is this a joke? Even in the video they're like "other foods are there to maximize taste and texture but we're engineered for fueling your body"
I actually like taste.
Also they say it's $3/meal. Family of 2/2 means I get a budget of $27/day assuming kids get 1/2. I don't know about you, but I can prepare fully balanced meals even in Canada for $27.
I'll give them the time factor. Dump into a blender and blend with water. I can't match that speed.

The ironic part about this is that it looks like it'd be perfect for something like space travel where you have limited weight you can bring and zero access to basically everything.
But they don't even subject astronauts to this. They truck them real (albeit specially prepared) food.
Not that they could use this easily in space anyway...They'd have to build a space blender since there's no down.
Jun 4, 2011
515 posts
800 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe if it wasn't so dang expensive. A powder costing 3 dollars a meal, I can eat a hell of a lot better than this, have it taste a lot better and be cheaper.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10010 posts
4406 upvotes
Toronto
Madevilz wrote: 80g of protein, 223g of carbs
no thanks Jeff
cheap knock off. people have a much better protein/ carb ratio
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15048 posts
1362 upvotes
Markham
Haven't read into this.. But why not ensure or other meal replacements
ShadowVlican
Dec 3, 2005
249 posts
84 upvotes
Thanks OP. I've been wanting to give this a try for a long time.

[QUOTE]Haven't read into this.. But why not ensure or other meal replacements [/QUOTE]

Many of the other meal replacement drinks contain a lot of sugar and don't have enough calories to be a real meal replacement.
Plus, I've never found them to be filling at all.
Oct 11, 2012
152 posts
71 upvotes
OTTAWA
Harmful wrote: Thanks OP. I've been wanting to give this a try for a long time.
Same, I bought a months worth. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1167 posts
469 upvotes
Montreal
I've heard about this. Apparently, very popular in Silicon Valley were some people don't have the time or don't want to have real food as meal.

I'm curious about how this will affect people's health with long-term and regular use of this. As with many things in the body, the digestion system must work and exercise regularly. If you mostly drink your food, your disgestion system may waken over time and perhaps one day, when you eat real food, something bad may happen...
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3076 posts
2124 upvotes
Canadia
Madevilz wrote: 80g of protein, 223g of carbs
no thanks Jeff
You know the numbers you're making fun of are the total for one package, not a single serving, right? :D
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6848 posts
1929 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Very interested. But:

1) Why 1640mg of sodium? Isn't that much sodium bad?
2) What does it taste like?
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6848 posts
1929 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dysonlu wrote: I've heard about this. Apparently, very popular in Silicon Valley were some people don't have the time or don't want to have real food as meal.

I'm curious about how this will affect people's health with long-term and regular use of this. As with many things in the body, the digestion system must work and exercise regularly. If you mostly drink your food, your disgestion system may waken over time and perhaps one day, when you eat real food, something bad may happen...
Maybe just take this when you have no time to cook? If I go this route, I'll probably cook or eat out on the weekends/holidays.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)