Investing

is now the time to invest in oil stocks?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2022 7:31 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
1107 posts
105 upvotes
mmm...dilemma here, I bought HNU for $4.10, it's been down like crazy for the past three days and my book has lost lots money on paper, should I hold onto it?
HOU I sold half of holdings this morning with deep loss! Too volatile!
Jan 20, 2010
462 posts
170 upvotes
toronto
sunny923 wrote: mmm...dilemma here, I bought HNU for $4.10, it's been down like crazy for the past three days and my book has lost lots money on paper, should I hold onto it?
Today is the day for buying, not selling........
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8124 posts
749 upvotes
sunny923 wrote: mmm...dilemma here, I bought HNU for $4.10, it's been down like crazy for the past three days and my book has lost lots money on paper, should I hold onto it?
What was your strategy going into HOU? Or your trade plan? What price did you buy it at and hope to get back on it? What timeframe did you need?

Oil is up huge now and all related securities are up big.

I don't know how far this will go up, but certainly its way higher than 1-2 days ago already. HOU may hit 9.50 in the gap up. Because UWTI, HOU's clone/cousin on the U.S stock exchange is jumping up several percent already.

All indicators have been for long term rise in oil at least back into the 60s again. But, when I say long term, I mean months and 60's showing up every few days or weeks (might show up again Friday).

The time to buy UWTI (HOU's cousin) for me was today. And I plan to get rid of it within 24-48 hours.
hi!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8124 posts
749 upvotes
saturnfan wrote: I missed today's opportunity to buy HOU :(
Maybe not.

There are too many reports tomorrow, so its hard to predict. But, we could see a USD drop till Monday.

USD down -> Oil up ( rule for the month )

Here is the report that should dictate at least a few hours of today (Friday):
Friday’s update on first-quarter gross domestic product (GDP) growth is due at 8:30 a.m. ET and it could be ugly. The Commerce Department’s initial read showed the economy eking out 0.2% growth. But thanks to weaker economic reports that followed that preliminary number, economists now think first quarter GDP will be revised to measure -1%.
If we see this at anything lower than about -0.5%, especially if it turns out to be even lower than the economist prediction -1%, we should see the USD plummet and Oil go up huge.

However, there is :
chicago PMI at 9:45 and consumer sentiment 10:00
Either could spike the USD if they are good.

So, I'm out before 9:45 likely, depending on GDP. Back in at 10'ish, and will choose between HOD/HOU at that point.
hi!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8124 posts
749 upvotes
endokuken wrote: Tempted to sell my hou at 9.63
hard to say. all I know, is I should've bought way more yesterday, WAY more. it seemed pretty clear.

UWTI was $2.99.

Its now $3.44

I got in and out in between there for profit. But, could've should've would've made bank if I had more confidence. 2.99 was a steal.
hi!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1531 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
how about natural gas? HND and HNU? is summer the low season for natural gas?
Sep 24, 2010
917 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
oajlu wrote: how about natural gas? HND and HNU? is summer the low season for natural gas?
How about GAZ?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8124 posts
749 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote: If I pooled all of the money from the majority of the part-time traders taking their stab at this point in the inverse oil-trade as of late - I would most likely come out with a higher net profit just investing all the money into a single large-cap company and just collecting the dividends :lol:
this week was nuts up and downs. I'm sure people lost a lot.

but, any idea why $TOT dropped with Oil spiking up?
hi!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2249 upvotes
Thornhill
masterhapposai wrote: this week was nuts up and downs. I'm sure people lost a lot.

but, any idea why $TOT dropped with Oil spiking up?
Euro has strengthened and Greece debauchery is still in the air.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8124 posts
749 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote: Euro has strengthened and Greece debauchery is still in the air.
Makes sense.

Some of the other days, it better tracked WTI, which doesn't always make sense.
hi!
Feb 16, 2013
463 posts
62 upvotes
which TOT are you guys talking....french one or one on TSE..?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1337 posts
318 upvotes
Brampton
panda470 wrote: Have a sell order for 9.69
Did you end up selling? I cancelled my 9.68 order and sold at 9.70. Wish had waited longer, but made a 4.8% profit so will look for another fall next week and average my way down again as I did this time
Oct 19, 2014
792 posts
98 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
saturnfan wrote: which TOT are you guys talking....french one or one on TSE..?
They're talking about Total, NYSE:TOT.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8124 posts
749 upvotes
oajlu wrote: how about natural gas? HND and HNU? is summer the low season for natural gas?
panda470 wrote: How about GAZ?

I'm interested in this too. Just like Oil, Natural Gas has hit near to April's low of the year. Unlike Oil, I'm not sure it has the logic to rise back up fast and I see this is compounded by the fact that people are getting margin called on it (again, unlike Oil).

This article has a good explanation, but it failed to detect the fact that Natural Gas fell off the cliff by Friday:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/natura ... 2015-05-28

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fu ... tory_quote

So, GAZ, etc.. hitting all time lows wasn't foreseen. There's more to this..., I just hope to not lose a buying opportunity. But, remember sometimes its a falling knife. Oil isn't a falling knife, but the leveraged stocks for the long term may be (UWTI,DWTI,HOU,HOD).
hi!
Sep 24, 2010
917 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
endokuken wrote: Did you end up selling? I cancelled my 9.68 order and sold at 9.70. Wish had waited longer, but made a 4.8% profit so will look for another fall next week and average my way down again as I did this time
I also cancelled my 9.69 order, and was able to sell it at 9.89.
Sep 24, 2010
917 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
masterhapposai wrote: I'm interested in this too. Just like Oil, Natural Gas has hit near to April's low of the year. Unlike Oil, I'm not sure it has the logic to rise back up fast and I see this is compounded by the fact that people are getting margin called on it (again, unlike Oil).

This article has a good explanation, but it failed to detect the fact that Natural Gas fell off the cliff by Friday:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/natura ... 2015-05-28

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fu ... tory_quote

So, GAZ, etc.. hitting all time lows wasn't foreseen. There's more to this..., I just hope to not lose a buying opportunity. But, remember sometimes its a falling knife. Oil isn't a falling knife, but the leveraged stocks for the long term may be (UWTI,DWTI,HOU,HOD).
looks like GAZ has been down for the last few days, and could be a buying opportunity.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8124 posts
749 upvotes
panda470 wrote: looks like GAZ has been down for the last few days, and could be a buying opportunity.
I'm afraid of GAZ and UGAZ. If you buy either, count on holding for a while before the swing back up. I see no evidence for an upswing. Anyone else?

As for Oil, down it goes. Very predictable now.
hi!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

MoneyHypeMike