Investing

is now the time to invest in oil stocks?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2021 8:16 pm
Tags:
Jun 2, 2017
513 posts
188 upvotes
Rebound Plays in Energy Services:

Trican Well Service Ltd (TCW) is interested from a recovery perspective. (Smaller Cap)

Schlumberger NV (SLB) in the US looks interesting for the same. (Larger Cap)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1479 posts
910 upvotes
Montreal
I recently purchased CU, SCL, SU and TOU for my TFSA (as well as HCLN lol) because I agree with the premise that the sector is battered and will recover over the medium term. I realise and understand the green energy revolution but much like the paperless office that never materialised as predicted (in fact paper consumption increased) when computers penetrated the work place, I believe the new normal will be a lot like the old normal for the coming decade at least. Must be getting contrarian in my old age!
Jul 30, 2012
595 posts
678 upvotes
charliebrown wrote: Enerplus expanding in North Dakota (USD 465M for ~20000bpd
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/e ... 36083.html

Issuing shares at $4 to partly pay for the purchase
Metrics look reasonable on this and ERF has always been a conservatively (well)-managed company. I have looked at ERF before but have avoided due to it's US production profile. Given Biden's position on fossil fuels, I can't be certain how this might affect future regulations on companies like ERF. For that reason, I have stayed with mid-caps with Canadian asset bases. While Trudeau is anti-oil, I don't expect significant changes to Canadian conventional producers.