Investing

is now the time to invest in oil stocks?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2020 7:23 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1189 posts
862 upvotes
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

This would be a good sound track for the video clip.

Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4469 posts
3708 upvotes
@IrwinW Those are the replacements for plastic straws as mandated by the JT/Soviet govt output quotas
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2452 posts
477 upvotes
Winnipeg
CGL.TO in my portfolio is up 8% in last week or so. For about 2 -3 months it was not moving much ..
I guess big money when not sure of equities move to GLD hence this rally. How long it will continue , I am not sure though. The moment equities again pick up momentum, GLD will go down .
OIl on the other hand is 13% loss since I bought it.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
2229 posts
532 upvotes
MrMom wrote: BTW, "All the World’s Carbon Emissions in One Chart"
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/all-th ... one-chart/
Thanks for sharing that. It's a bit sad to see Canada so high on the list - 11th most emissions per capita and 10th in total emissions - but I guess that sort of goes with the territory of being an oil and gas country. I also really liked the largest companies in the world by market cap chart that was below it.

Another tough day in the energy space. My VET and BIR continue to sink further underwater.

ARX -6.2%
CJ -5%
TOU -5%
PEY -4.2%
BIR -4%
PD -4%
WCP -3.8%
TOU -3.7%
etc. etc.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23684 posts
5368 upvotes
where I belong
EVERY SINGLE TIME there is some good news to oil (like the HUGE draw in EIA report yesterday?), something else smacks it down more
I have BTE, MEG, CNQ -4% even when CL is relatively flat
Stairs UP, Elevator DOWN

Even MJ bounces back more (HEXO +7%)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14795 posts
7727 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Capt. wrote: Thanks for sharing that. It's a bit sad to see Canada so high on the list - 11th most emissions per capita and 10th in total emissions - but I guess that sort of goes with the territory of being an oil and gas country. I also really liked the largest companies in the world by market cap chart that was below it.
Actually, looking at raw numbers never really tells the full story as it will never include a lot of context for those numbers.

Examples -
A larger economy should generally have higher emissions as there is more economic activity
A larger population should generally have higher emissions as there are more people consuming
A colder climate should generally have higher emissions as the homes/buildings need to be heated
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14795 posts
7727 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jerryhung wrote: EVERY SINGLE TIME there is some good news to oil (like the HUGE draw in EIA report yesterday?), something else smacks it down more
I have BTE, MEG, CNQ -4% even when CL is relatively flat
Stairs UP, Elevator DOWN

Even MJ bounces back more (HEXO +7%)
It would be interesting to see who the sellers (or short sellers) are in the energy market. I would not be surprised if some of the large environmental endowments are actually using their financial size to keep the energy stock market down.
Sep 23, 2016
138 posts
38 upvotes
this is ridiculous... OPEC agrees to extend cut for another 6-9 months ... + Iran Sanction vs. last year and yet, OIL is down over 3%, is there any light at the end of the tunnel for CPG and VET?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14795 posts
7727 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vince201 wrote: this is ridiculous... OPEC agrees to extend cut for another 6-9 months ... + Iran Sanction vs. last year and yet, OIL is down over 3%, is there any light at the end of the tunnel for CPG and VET?
Same thing happened a few months ago when VET was last down in these levels.... The short sellers are pushing hard so we'll just have to wait until they stop or get squeezed.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2722 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
vince201 wrote: CPG -6.24%
VET -3.48%

LOL FML.
VET is very tempting under 28 , 10 year lows lol....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)