Computers & Electronics

ns What is the best streaming/ TV box in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2017 2:40 pm
[OP]
Dec 21, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote

ns What is the best streaming/ TV box in Canada?

I have looked at different options like the NVIDIA shield, different Roku models, and others, but I don't know what would be best. What would you recommend for someone that is not too concerned about price?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1275 posts
287 upvotes
If you are not concerned about price then I guess the shield is the way to go. I recently bought a bee-link box and am fairly happy with it. These still require you to do some fiddling around, not quite plug and play yet but there are many walk-thrus online
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1429 posts
221 upvotes
sickjukes wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 1:25 am
I have looked at different options like the NVIDIA shield, different Roku models, and others, but I don't know what would be best. What would you recommend for someone that is not too concerned about price?
You may get better response if you also include what will the use of this box/device be- to watch what?
Apr 27, 2014
315 posts
90 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The shield is the clear winner. I think it's pretty much OOS everywhere right now with rumours of a new model at CES in January.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
I heard about the new model. I don't want to pay for netflix or anything by the way. I downloaded Kodi and am overwhelmed at this. I can watch all these channels instantly, NHL streams, news from around the world, all these movies, t.v. shows.

Did anyone else feel shocked at this when they first got familiar with Kodi? Why have I never heard of this??Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1444 upvotes
Richmond
The best streaming box if price is not too important is a miniPC running Windows. It's compatible with the widest range of streaming options, including running popular packages like Kodi.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7030 posts
1229 upvotes
sickjukes wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 2:09 pm
I heard about the new model. I don't want to pay for netflix or anything by the way. I downloaded Kodi and am overwhelmed at this. I can watch all these channels instantly, NHL streams, news from around the world, all these movies, t.v. shows.

Did anyone else feel shocked at this when they first got familiar with Kodi? Why have I never heard of this??Smiling Face With Open Mouth
LoL ...you're just 6 years too late ! ...watching content on Kodi is like a time machine ...you get to watch some of the contents before it even hits the cinema or network studios 3-6 months ahead of time !
If you want the best of both worlds get a MyGica ATV495 Pro or the ATV1900AC, one of the few media players for Android that can do NetFlix HD and Kodi and the best part is they are available locally at BestBuy or Canada Computers !
Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
179 upvotes
Pickering
If all you want is a Kodi box, get a Raspberry Pi 3 for like $50 and install OpenELEC.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5021 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
EdT586 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 8:36 pm
If you want the best of both worlds get a MyGica ATV495 Pro or the ATV1900AC, one of the few media players for Android that can do NetFlix HD and Kodi and the best part is they are available locally at BestBuy or Canada Computers !
Have you reviewed the MyGica ATV 495 Pro? I purchased the Minix Neo U1 based on your recommendation.

Pretty straight forward, I just want to know if it is possible to put the box into standby mode and have the TV turn off due to no signal. Is there something in I can do with Daydream?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2306 posts
623 upvotes
Nunavut
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2016 2:16 am
If all you want is a Kodi box, get a Raspberry Pi 3 for like $50 and install OpenELEC. LibreElec
Made a small correction
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2845 posts
911 upvotes
Montreal
EdT586 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 8:36 pm
would you recommend the MyGica over the MiBox ? yeah I know the MiBox has availability issues..
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7030 posts
1229 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2016 3:03 am
Have you reviewed the MyGica ATV 495 Pro? I purchased the Minix Neo U1 based on your recommendation.

Pretty straight forward, I just want to know if it is possible to put the box into standby mode and have the TV turn off due to no signal. Is there something in I can do with Daydream?
I haven't gotten my hand on the ATV495 Pro yet. Supposedly there is a newer version coming in 2nd quarter of 2017 as per their VP of sales that I spoke to last week. The only con I have against it is it does not have a external antenna which they claim if you want it you have to upgrade to their more expensive ATV1900AC.

You can put your Minix box into sleep/standby mode by using the stock IR remote or by using the on screen power button with a RF air mouse. What is a Daydream ?

Judging on hardware depreciation, Minix boxes have not depreciated in over two years which is a testimony to their product quality while MyGica boxes depreciate all over the place because of frequent model upgrades.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5021 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
EdT586 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2016 5:25 pm
I haven't gotten my hand on the ATV495 Pro yet. Supposedly there is a newer version coming in 2nd quarter of 2017 as per their VP of sales that I spoke to last week. The only con I have against it is it does not have a external antenna which they claim if you want it you have to upgrade to their more expensive ATV1900AC.

You can put your Minix box into sleep/standby mode by using the stock IR remote or by using the on screen power button with a RF air mouse. What is a Daydream ?

Judging on hardware depreciation, Minix boxes have not depreciated in over two years which is a testimony to their product quality while MyGica boxes depreciate all over the place because of frequent model upgrades.
The external antenna is not a concern as I have Ethernet everywhere in the house.

I'm looking for an option for the box to go to sleep automatically with inactivity and then my TV will shut off by itself. That's how my HTPCs work.

Daydream is the Android mechanism to put the OS into standby. The Minix has it set to clock. If there is no activity, the U1 goes to standby and displays the clock.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7030 posts
1229 upvotes
marc_t wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2016 12:47 pm
would you recommend the MyGica over the MiBox ? yeah I know the MiBox has availability issues..
The MyGica ATV495 Pro has more internal memory and faster hardware than the Mi Box.
The Mi Box is an Android TV box, while MyGica is a media player for Android. So if you like an Android TV or Roku type of screen format than the Mi Box is the way to go.
MyGica will never go the Android TV route they choose versatility over simplicity.