• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2020 4:55 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
138 posts
47 upvotes

Number of Washing Machines in Apartment Building

Hello,

I live in an older building, managed by a property management company, and the washing machines room is in the basement.

We have approximately 50-60 apartments in the building. However only 2 washing machines and 2 dryers in the basement.

Is there - by law/code - a minimum number of washing machines the property management company must provide for a building? Or is it entirely up to the property management company?

Thank you
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1152 posts
849 upvotes
HAMILTON
That is actually a good question ........... In my opinion, the provision of washers and dryers are a courtesy of the building owner so would be up to them to decide. After all, there is nothing stopping you from going out to laudramats .

Alternatively, possibly the building owner would allow you to install a small washer/dryer combo.

I am waiting for someone who actually knows the answer.......
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14362 posts
2350 upvotes
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_629.pdf

629-30. Ancillary rooms.
A. All provided laundry, recreation and other ancillary rooms, and the facilities, amenities and associated equipment for the rooms, shall be kept clean and maintained in a safe condition and in good repair.
TORONTO MUNICIPAL CODECHAPTER 629, PROPERTY STANDARDS629-34 July 9, 2015
B. Laundry rooms shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, and all sinks provided in a laundry room shall be connected to hot and cold running water and properly connected to the drainage system.
C. All laundry rooms shall have a trapped floor drain connected to the drainage system and capable of adequately draining the floor. [Amended 2004-06-24 by By-law No. 559-2004]
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
138 posts
47 upvotes
Thank you.

Disappointing though; nothing about a minimum number of washers. It would make sense for older buildings where we can't have in-suite washing machines. Two machines for 55 apartments is kind of ridiculous. Closest laundromat is actually not that close, so people end up queuing to wash their clothes.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12594 posts
9822 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya Laundry Rooms are an added benefit ...
Not a necessity
(So not like Municipal Bylaws that govern things like the number of Parking Spaces ... which are based on capacity )

Best you can do is ask if things can be improved
Or if you are allowed to have your own unit in your residence

Not necessarily hard wired / plumbed in either
(There is such a thing as a portable washer & dryer unit ... much like there are portable dishwashers )

The downside is though they don’t handle big loads
And take longer to dry (if that’s an option on the unit you purchase)

But the plus side is you can stop spending oodles of money / change on washing your clothes
Or waiting on others to finish theirs, and being tied to the Laundry Room Schedule
Or dragging your stuff to a Laundromat

And if you can put up with not using the dryer
And just hang up your clothes in your bathroom or closet to air dryer
You can save even more money
And cut the tie to strangle hold the Laundry Room has on you

Plus, you’ll be doing something awesome for the environment too
Aug 5, 2007
48 posts
26 upvotes
mattnew wrote: Thank you.

Disappointing though; nothing about a minimum number of washers. It would make sense for older buildings where we can't have in-suite washing machines. Two machines for 55 apartments is kind of ridiculous. Closest laundromat is actually not that close, so people end up queuing to wash their clothes.
You can always get a portable washing machine and dryer. Ones that hook up to 120v and basic sink plumbing. Probably cheaper in the long run too. Nothing preventing you from doing that either.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5632 posts
609 upvotes
If op believes the building is underserved with laundry facilities, he (or she) should consider setting up laundromat nearby.

My in laws live near Greek town, the laundromat is gangbusters since many basement apt don't have laundry

It should bring in good business?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31561 posts
5688 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Do you have to pay to use the machines? If the landlord makes money, I am sure he would invest in more machines
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
138 posts
47 upvotes
Gee wrote: Do you have to pay to use the machines? If the landlord makes money, I am sure he would invest in more machines
Yes we do. I'll raise this point to the management company and see what they say.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2547 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
Bathtub + water + detergent + paddle = washing machine. Line dry.

Know it isn't practical all the time, but my wife hand-washes tons of her clothes. Couple of drying racks and it's done in no time.

Everything I own aside from my dress shirts/suits goes in the washer and dryer - nothing of mine is precious. But it can all easily be hand washed if there isn't a machine available.

There are loads of small portable washers out there. I'd get one of those and skip the dryer. Probably wouldn't ask for permission either.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2547 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
mattnew wrote: Yes we do. I'll raise this point to the management company and see what they say.
Chances are they're under contract with another company that provides and services the machines - like arcade and vending machines. Owner gets a percentage of the sales.

Based on the revenue, they can determine how many loads are going through in a month and unless it's back to back heavy use, they won't invest in putting more machines in as there won't be an increase in revenue.

But a complaint to the landlord never hurts.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
138 posts
47 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Bathtub + water + detergent + paddle = washing machine. Line dry.

Know it isn't practical all the time, but my wife hand-washes tons of her clothes. Couple of drying racks and it's done in no time.

Everything I own aside from my dress shirts/suits goes in the washer and dryer - nothing of mine is precious. But it can all easily be hand washed if there isn't a machine available.

There are loads of small portable washers out there. I'd get one of those and skip the dryer. Probably wouldn't ask for permission either.
I'm used to dry racks instead of using a dryer. Whether my clothes take 1 hour or 10 to dry, not a big problem.

Thanks I will check to portable washers.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
138 posts
47 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Chances are they're under contract with another company that provides and services the machines - like arcade and vending machines. Owner gets a percentage of the sales.

Based on the revenue, they can determine how many loads are going through in a month and unless it's back to back heavy use, they won't invest in putting more machines in as there won't be an increase in revenue.

But a complaint to the landlord never hurts.
That makes sense. Back to back use must be difficult to justify though as most people are out from 9 to 5. Hopefully they understand why people are queuing on evenings and week-ends.

You're right it doesn't hurt to raise the issue, even though I believe tenants have very little to say about this.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31561 posts
5688 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
torontotim wrote: Bathtub + water + detergent + paddle = washing machine. Line dry.
Grew up really poor. Washed laundry in a tub using a small plunger to beat the clothes. Then hung it to dry on a diaper rack (cloth diapers back then)