Hot Deals

[NVIDIA Corporation] GeForce Now - Play your Steam/uPlay/Epic Games on the Cloud - Free or $6.49/Month (free 90 days trial)

Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5032 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto
jetertmac wrote: Dumb questions but I am curious to know if the service only works for Nvidia shield devices and is the 1-hour stream unlimited? Like is it a limit per day for 1 hour or game?
Works on any device, so Android has a client so does iOS I believe.

Works on Mac and Windows.
Oct 7, 2015
475 posts
422 upvotes
Vanier, ON
Thanks, I will give it try. My aging X58 platform desktop gives ~20fps in cities skylines when the population is getting huge. If it turns out fine, I won't worry about upgrading desktop until DDR5 kicking in.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5032 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto
TimDrake wrote: What kind of connection would you need to be able to play this smoothly?
50 Mbps, closer you are to the US border, better.

No 4K support or resolutions above 1080p, officially.

However, in the beta, I was able to go into the game settings and change the resolution, but you really need to be wired and have greater than 50 Mbps.
Oct 16, 2008
423 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
I'm actually interested in this and Microsoft's solution as I'd like to do some pc gaming but prefer not to spend a ton on hardware. I think I might give it a try.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3955 posts
688 upvotes
Windsor
TomRFD wrote: Going to try out the free tier tonight. Wish I had something to play this on my TV with.
Nvidia Shield is what you need :)

Works very well!
Dec 13, 2008
235 posts
70 upvotes
Just recently tried this with my 2019 Shield (with a wired LAN connection - and Shaw 300 ~300mbps d/l). Fortnite lags quite a bit on the screen that it’s barely playable. Street fighter also has a .5 second input lag which also makes the game unplayable.

Initially I was quite excited to play Fortnite in my living room but the input time is unbearable.

Perhaps I need to adjust my settings but GFN is not for me... right now anyway
Last edited by blisterd_nuts on Feb 4th, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm just here for the deals....
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
13522 posts
25721 upvotes
Scarborough
G77 wrote: Nvidia Shield is what you need :)

Works very well!
I'd love to have one but that's a hefty premium over my Firesticks. I'll see how it is on my desktop/laptop and maybe it'll convince me to grab a Shield.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3955 posts
688 upvotes
Windsor
TomRFD wrote: I'd love to have one but that's a hefty premium over my Firesticks. I'll see how it is on my desktop/laptop and maybe it'll convince me to grab a Shield.
You could possibly sideload the APK onto a Firestick - worth trying anyway!
Jul 14, 2014
729 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So, again, are you able to stream any game from your Steam library or just the ones that were listed as supported by Geforce Now ?

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5032 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto
Niklasky wrote: So, again, are you able to stream any game from your Steam library or just the ones that were listed as supported by Geforce Now ?

Thanks.
Only ones listed.

You can still install unofficially supported games but your progress will not be saved.

It's like owning a NES all over again.
Jul 14, 2014
729 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rebel_rfd wrote: Only ones listed.

You can still install unofficially supported games but your progress will not be saved.

It's like owning a NES all over again.
Ok. I have a few old games that I've owned on Steam for a while. When I try to launch them on the Shield, it says the game cannot be streamed at this time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5032 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto
Niklasky wrote: Ok. I have a few old games that I've owned on Steam for a while. When I try to launch them on the Shield, it says the game cannot be streamed at this time.
Oh, it's on the Shield.

You can only install unofficially on the desktop clients.

Should have clarified that, sorry.
Jun 15, 2015
120 posts
88 upvotes
Victoria, BC
blisterd_nuts wrote: Just recently tried this with my 2019 Shield (with a wired LAN connection - and Shaw 300 ~300mbps d/l). Fortnite lags quite a bit on the screen that it’s barely playable. Street fighter also has a .5 second input lag which also makes the game unplayable. A

Initially I was quite excited to play Fortnite in my living room but the input time is unbearable.

Perhaps I need to adjust my settings but GFN is not for me... right now anyway
I'll be testing this tonight. I'm in Victoria, on the Shaw 150/10 setup. I'll try wifi first, then I'll plug in if needed. Wish Shaw had the same service as Telus with their 300/300 though i bet latency is still an issue.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1688 posts
1732 upvotes
Toronto
I already had early access to Geforce Now. I wonder what happens to that.