Computers & Electronics

NVIDIA Rolling Out More Powerful Dies At The Same Price For 2070 And 2080 Graphics Cards WCCFTECH

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2019 1:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes

NVIDIA Rolling Out More Powerful Dies At The Same Price For 2070 And 2080 Graphics Cards WCCFTECH

NVIDIA Rolling Out More Powerful TU106-410 And TU104-410 Dies At The Same Price For 2070 And 2080 Graphics Cards

Nvidia seems to be getting better yields for the 2070 and 2080 dies and they are only going to sell the higher quality dies going forward. This should mean that the overall quality of their chips will increase and/or be standardized higher and that price premiums being charged for higher quality dies will stop at some point soon. In theory.

I would like to see the prices of their GPUs come down quite a bit so as to improve their price/performance though.
66 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
feminazi wrote: NVIDIA Rolling Out More Powerful TU106-410 And TU104-410 Dies At The Same Price For 2070 And 2080 Graphics Cards

Nvidia seems to be getting better yields for the 2070 and 2080 dies and they are only going to sell the higher quality dies going forward. This should mean that the overall quality of their chips will increase and/or be standardized higher and that price premiums being charged for higher quality dies will stop at some point soon. In theory.

I would like to see the prices of their GPUs come down quite a bit so as to improve their price/performance though.
wont happen. You got a CEO who is willing to run afoul with the SEC for inside trading to make a few low tens of millions, when he is already a billionaire many times over. With an attitude like that at the top, and lack of competition for the higher end of the market why would Nvidia play nicely?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
Fair enough. They got to the top by being cutthroat and they are staying on top as long as they can however they can . . .they are the epitome of capitalism aren't they? They are very much like Intel in this respect, aren't they? They play nice/look after their customers (or pretend to) only when they have to . . .I suspect that they will continue to see sales drop and that may help a bit but AMD just isn't a threat in GPUs the way they are starting to be in CPUs.

Nvidia's current price/performance ratio is so bad I am strongly leaning towards getting a refurb. or used GPU at this point for the new computer I am slowly getting parts for . . .
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3217 posts
1769 upvotes
Burlington
There is absolutely no justifiable reason these cards should be priced where they are, and no justifiable reason for anyone to buy them.

Cut it by 50%, then we'll talk, but almost $2000 for the 2080 TI? Go f*** yourself Jensen.
Mar 25, 2019
62 posts
75 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote: There is absolutely no justifiable reason these cards should be priced where they are, and no justifiable reason for anyone to buy them.

Cut it by 50%, then we'll talk, but almost $2000 for the 2080 TI? Go f*** yourself Jensen.
But don't you wanna trace those rays?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34979 posts
4269 upvotes
Winnipeg
badOne wrote: wont happen. You got a CEO who is willing to run afoul with the SEC for inside trading to make a few low tens of millions, when he is already a billionaire many times over. With an attitude like that at the top, and lack of competition for the higher end of the market why would Nvidia play nicely?
The AMD 3xxx series are coming.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7094 posts
1426 upvotes
Toronto
If you were Nvidia and you had the fastests cards on the planet, you would also charge an insane premium. Without AMD having competitive products to keep Nvidia honest; the way it is now is the way it should be in a free market.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8678 posts
1624 upvotes
toalan wrote: If you were Nvidia and you had the fastests cards on the planet, you would also charge an insane premium. Without AMD having competitive products to keep Nvidia honest; the way it is now is the way it should be in a free market.
Yup and although most of us wouldn't pay it, someone else will.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Banned
Jan 13, 2017
20 posts
12 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote: There is absolutely no justifiable reason these cards should be priced where they are, and no justifiable reason for anyone to buy them.

That's what I thought, until I needed one for work to replace two GTX 970's. I need it to run Nvidia iray rendering for my job as an automotive engineer to create virtual realistic videos of proposed designs. It cut down my rendering time by 2/3. Yes, insanely priced, but I needed the fastest card for this job. Had to pay $1629 + taxes. Using it to game was a bonus and kind of eased the pain of how much I paid.

I remember in 2009, I was able to put together a kick ass i7 920 gaming rig for $1200 which included the best gaming GPU at the time.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15714 posts
2338 upvotes
eatmetoyota wrote: That's what I thought, until I needed one for work to replace two GTX 970's. I need it to run Nvidia iray rendering for my job as an automotive engineer to create virtual realistic videos of proposed designs.
Wouldn't a Quadro be the better choice for Iray?
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Banned
Jan 13, 2017
20 posts
12 upvotes
JAC wrote: Wouldn't a Quadro be the better choice for Iray?
Company I work for actually put together a rig with the p6000 quadro, but the problem is the software called iClone using the iray plugin is not compatible with workstation GPU's and runs really slow. They're using that workstation to run Maya now. The other program I use that also has an iRay plugin is called Daz Studio, and benchmarks I saw for that with an RTX Titan were really bad like 40% slower than a RTX 2080TI running iray. In the same benchmark thread, a single RTX 2080 TI was faster than 2 GTX 1080 TI's rendering in iRay. This was reported by 3 or 4 forum members.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion ... benchmarks
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1873 posts
892 upvotes
eatmetoyota wrote: Company I work for actually put together a rig with the p6000 quadro, but the problem is the software called iClone using the iray plugin is not compatible with workstation GPU's and runs really slow. They're using that workstation to run Maya now. The other program I use that also has an iRay plugin is called Daz Studio, and benchmarks I saw for that with an RTX Titan were really bad like 40% slower than a RTX 2080TI running iray. In the same benchmark thread, a single RTX 2080 TI was faster than 2 GTX 1080 TI's rendering in iRay. This was reported by 3 or 4 forum members.

I'm surprised Nvidia didn't put some sort of detection code into their driver to prevent their gaming cards from working with industrial design software. I work with a lot of enterprise software. Seems like an opportunity to charge 30k per license for the privilege of using RTX 2080Ti in a commercial setting.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
"NVIDIA SUPER Lineup Will Consist Of Three Cards: Faster RTX 2060, 2070 and 2080 Variants With $100 Off MSRP And Souped Up GDDR6"

Wouldn't this be a juicy and welcome development!!

If this pans out it could reshape the GPU space going forward! I wouldn't buy a GPU under the 2080 Ti right now unless you can get a sweet deal on it somehow . . .
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3217 posts
1769 upvotes
Burlington
feminazi wrote: Nvidia 2070 Ti rumour?

More speculation and also some more speculation on the price drops but who knows what will happen?
If there was a Nvidia 2070 TI priced around 500-600 cad, i'd seriously consider buying it.

Nvidia has done nothing but disappoint me this generation though, so it's unlikely.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7246 posts
2040 upvotes
T dot 6
feminazi wrote: Nvidia "Super" series GPU specs leaked and a July launch rumoured. What a coincidence! Poor AMD.
Poor AMD? Poor us!

Nvidia will continue to rip us off with AMD not being competitive. G-sync was a rip until they allowed free sync monitor compatibility. NVLink SLI bridges are a rip. Pushing ray tracing tech because for the same money, FPS are basically a same as the gen. 20XX cards are a rip when you compare 10/20 gen cards.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
Jaytee wrote: Poor AMD? Poor us!

Nvidia will continue to rip us off with AMD not being competitive. G-sync was a rip until they allowed free sync monitor compatibility. NVLink SLI bridges are a rip. Pushing ray tracing tech because for the same money, FPS are basically a same as the gen. 20XX cards are a rip when you compare 10/20 gen cards.
I agree, which is why I haven't upgraded my 1060 6Gb GPU yet . . .

I hope Navi is a big hit and that Nvidia is forced to compete for sales again.
Aug 20, 2009
8169 posts
3101 upvotes
Grimsby
Was G-Sync a ripoff? The cost of the FPGA was reflected in the price of the monitor. I feel like most of the premium G-Sync monitors were pricey because they had a marriage of desirable features, not just G-Sync itself. Freesync v1 was a mess and specs were all over the place in supported monitors. At the time there wasn't really a choice IMO. Freesync 2 is much better nowadays but I've had no reason to replace my unit. I've had my monitor going on 4 years and its been fantastic, I don't really regret paying for the performance. I imagine the only reasons I would upgrade will be hardware failure or new tech advances.

I'm not thrilled with this generations cards so I decided to sit it out until Ampere. They raised the price ceiling too much for my taste, I can't justify $1000 for a video card.