Computers & Electronics

NVIDIA Shield Buyer's Guide - Best Android Box, Excellent Google Home Hub, Seemless Cloud Gaming, Fast IPTV, and More

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2019 9:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23116 posts
28628 upvotes

NVIDIA Shield Buyer's Guide - Best Android Box, Excellent Google Home Hub, Seemless Cloud Gaming, Fast IPTV, and More

>> NVIDIA Shield Best Controller Accessories <<
(NVIDIA Shield natively supports bluetooth Xbox and PS4 controllers)

FEATURES: OFFICIAL & UNOFFICIAL

Emulation on the Nvidia Shield in 2019

redflagdealsguy wrote: GeforeNow fascinates me too. Long story short, I like the Nvidia Shield... I'm also inclined to turn it into an emulator as I'm told it can emulate right up to PS2 / Gamecube.

While it's overkill for IPTV, I also don't like delay in my life, and the Shield is highly responsive.

In summary:
- GeForceNow
- Fast IPTV
- Best Android Emulator Box
- Smart Home Box [ADDED]

Can't go wrong folks.
Nvidia Shield GeForce Now Gaming @ 4K60

The video is from June 2018, GeForce Now is even better in 2019.
redflagdealsguy wrote: The Nvidia Shield is compatible with third party bluetooth controllers and 8bitdo.
https://www.smarthomebeginner.com/best- ... r-options/
bylo wrote: The Shield has been available for 4 years now with only minor hardware changes. Yet it remains the premier media player set-top box. Even today, there's no real competition.

NVIDIA has been updating the software regularly too, throughout that period, with substantial functional improvements and Android 8.0 Oreo. Today's Shield is as "current" as any new box from someone else.

Basically a Shield today is still as competitive as it was 4 years ago. There's no urgency for NVIDIA to make substantial hardware upgrades. Software/firmware updates continue. So why wait for who knows how long if you need one today?
bylo wrote: Amazon Warehouse items are returns, i.e. open-box. A lot got returned in late 2018 when there were sales, discounts, PM opportunities, etc. with other retailers like Best Buy. Amazon doesn't do PMs or price protection so many peopel returned their new Shields to Amazon for refund at regular price then bought new ones at lower prices. I imagine that accounts for a lot of Amazon's warehouse stock. Besides anything you buy on AW can be returned if it doesn't work, is missing parts, physically damaged, etc.
redflagdealsguy wrote: I haven't done a good job summarizing the full functionality of this device:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/?nc ... jl28-45653

Nvidia Shield now integrates with home smart devices using Smart Things and Google Assistant, it's truly an all-encompassing device. Nvidia just keeps upgrading this thing.

TIPS & TRICKS
alltechinside wrote: From my memory, the Nvidia Shield TV [natively] supports both Xbox One and PS4 controllers

EDIT: Instructions here
USER EXPERIENCES & DISCUSSION
DeNovo2011 wrote: Amazing box, own 2 and it does not skip a beat. If I had the money I'd replace all of my MiBoxes with them just for performance alone. My first box from 2015 is still running perfectly and my 2nd box from 2017 has no issues.

Emulator wise I have it set up running everything up to Gamecube. Just haven't found the stability yet for Gamecube roms. Otherwise everything else is smooth. Have a 128gb usb and it just runs all games off it.

I use it a lot for IPTV and it's miles my miboxes for stability and speed.
redflagdealsguy wrote: I created a thread to discuss the Best IPTV Apps.

No discussion of IPTV sources.
Last edited by aasoror on Jun 11th, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed deal specific parts
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1399 posts
417 upvotes
GTA
Will one be able to play games from Google's new gaming service, Stadia on the Nvidia Shield?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23116 posts
28628 upvotes
JagStyles wrote: Will one be able to play games from Google's new gaming service, Stadia on the Nvidia Shield?
Theoretically, it should be platform agnostic, so long as chromecast is supported... and perhaps not even that in the future.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... eld-tv-/2/

The 2020s are the decade of streaming gaming on thin clients and mobile platforms.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
20846 posts
31290 upvotes
ONTARIO
JagStyles wrote: Will one be able to play games from Google's new gaming service, Stadia on the Nvidia Shield?
Nope. Google has straight up said it won't be supported on anything other than Chromecast Ultra in the beginning.
Which is pretty ridiculous considering their Android TV platform (and especially the Nvidia Shield) would be an absolute perfect platform and device to run this service on. Apparently they want to push more Chromecast Ultras to people. Because I am sure everyone absolutely can't wait to game on a wireless connection. Bet that's going to really show off the service's capabilities with increase latency.

I can guarantee I am not buying any Chromecast ultras to just use their Stadia service that they'll probably abandon in a couple years.

Here's a snippet from an article of where I got this info:
Finally, we have some bad news for Android TV owners. At launch, Google Stadia will not have support for Android TVs with Chromecast built in. This update comes in response to a question on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comment ... ?context=3 from the Stadia community manager who said, "at launch, you'll need to use a Chromecast Ultra to play Stadia on your TV. We're starting with Chromecast Ultra and will continue to add more compatible options."

There was no word on when or if Android TV support would come, so if you're looking to use Stadia on your TV, it looks like you're going to need a Chromecast Ultra. If you don't already have a Chromecast Ultra, then picking up the Stadia Founder's Edition is probably your best bet.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23116 posts
28628 upvotes
This is transitory, @BobSagget.

The GeForce Now on the Shield's dedicated gigabit ethernet will undoubtedly stomp Stadia early on. Google will certainly roll over and allow other more capable devices access to Stadia... but on initial rollout, they're pump-and-dumping their crappy Chromecast Ultra devices.

Give it time, and in the meantime enjoy the free STEAM-connected Geforce Now... for free.

I think NVIDIA Shield users will manage to survive.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16117 posts
2721 upvotes
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last update for the Shield (Shield Experience Upgrade 7.2.3) seems to incorporate only the December 2018 security fixes.

Isn't it rather risky to run such an outdated Android version?
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23116 posts
28628 upvotes
JAC wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last update for the Shield (Shield Experience Upgrade 7.2.3) seems to incorporate only the December 2018 security fixes.

Isn't it rather risky to run such an outdated Android version?
Risky in what sense. Speaking to a security expert, the risks of slightly out of date software appears minimal under normal operating conditions. If you're sleuthing the deep web on the shield, expect problems, otherwise I think you're fine.

There are third party security apps you can install to further protect your device (antivirus, antimalware, etc.).
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16117 posts
2721 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Risky in what sense. Speaking to a security expert, the risks of slightly out of date software appears minimal under normal operating conditions. If you're sleuthing the deep web on the shield, expect problems, otherwise I think you're fine.
I think Stagefright demonstrated that you don't need to to anything to have your device compromised. Given the number of critical Android vulnerabilities posted each month, it seems AppleTV might be a safer choice.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23116 posts
28628 upvotes
JAC wrote: I think Stagefright demonstrated that you don't need to to anything to have your device compromised. Given the number of critical Android vulnerabilities posted each month, it seems AppleTV might be a safer choice.
Safer. Perhaps through obscurity.

Outside of media data security, safer in what material sense though. Your credit card information is hashed and encrypted on the cloud. Your financial and tax information aren't on there either.

Amazon Workspaces are protected with enterprise cloud security, so your Windows 10 VM should be safe on your Shield as well.

I maintain security concerns are overblown, and if they exist, these concerns are magnified in most other android boxes by comparison.

Respectfully.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)