Computers & Electronics

Is Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 worth buying now?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2021 8:34 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3217 posts
1963 upvotes
SW ON

Is Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 worth buying now?

Is there any indication of an impending upgrade? They supposedly upgrade them every 2 years but it happened only twice, so statistically insignificant. I read that the current SOC is being discontinued. The Switch upgrade (uses the same SOC) was supposed to happen "before Q3 2021". Does anyone remember when they announced the 2019 Shield? They need to announce a new SOC first. Will there be a new SOC or they will just discontinue the line?

And a question to those who have the 2019 Shield. Is it possible to set it to upscale to 4K and output in Dolby Vision all the time? The 2017 Shield upscales to 4K but outputs in SDR, it switches to HDR only when playing HDR content (causing my TV to flicker). On the other hand Apple TV 4K upscales to 4K and outputs in Dolby Vision all the time, which seems nice.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4475 posts
4643 upvotes
GTA
Right now, today, probably not. E3 is in a few weeks (June 12) and the usual rumour is the Nintendo Switch Pro/HD/2.0/whatever is going to be announced. If a new Switch drops, that would likely mean a new Shield TV refresh or update.
But a Nintendo Switch is constantly about to drop, so take it for what it is. But since E3 is the likelist time, at least wait until then.
c'mon get happy!
Feb 22, 2017
375 posts
254 upvotes
Traditionally there’s a new shield every two years, if there wasn’t a global silicon shortage I would’ve assumed a 2021 shield.
At this point I expect a 2022 shield or 2023 and unless things change I’m leaning more towards 2023.

While I do think it will be based on whatever Tegra they end up putting in a new Revision of the switch, considering TSMC is the foundry that Nvidia uses, shield TV hasn’t been there first priority in a while,
Apple is going hard and heavy on apple silicon (ARM) also made by TSMC and tesla uses a nvidia Tegra chip also made at the TSMC foundries.
I just imagine that given all the shortages and the demand it’s more likely will wait then will get one by surprise this year, especially considering that the shield has never been their major profit center.

I bought a 2019 during the last sale a month ago, because while I hope I’m wrong and will bite the bullet if I am every indicator in the industry surrounding that CPU architecture and similar is not optimistic.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4321 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
Not only that usually rumours start flying around of a new shield tv floating around by now and nothing has surfaced yet from what I have seen. Usually XDA will at least have something pertaining to the rumour but nothing. I agree with hiddenemailer, i think it will be either next year or 2023.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3217 posts
1963 upvotes
SW ON
@HiddenEmailer, @Zero1, would you happen to know when the 2019 Shield was announced? Was it at that E3 event in 2019 or later?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1716 posts
359 upvotes
BC
The Shield, any year, is a great product. Fast, reliable, frequent updates. Plays every video file.
"If you ever doubted yourself, remember, the Stupidest Man on earth became President" Li Ka Shing
Feb 22, 2017
375 posts
254 upvotes
alpovs wrote: @HiddenEmailer, @Zero1, would you happen to know when the 2019 Shield was announced? Was it at that E3 event in 2019 or later?
Short of the first shield TV I don’t believe nvidia ever did a pre-announcement.

I know it’s early as March/April 2019 there were rumors, June @ E3 more substantiated rumors, July there was leaked FCC filings, leaks of the announcement in September and then the October release date made it official.
Previous editions had similar leak/rumor patterns but I can’t remember the specifics it’s been years
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4321 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: @HiddenEmailer, @Zero1, would you happen to know when the 2019 Shield was announced? Was it at that E3 event in 2019 or later?
I never paid attention as to when it was either announced or started being a rumour. I also doubt it was ever revealed at E3 as it is more media oriented than a gaming focused product.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20261 posts
5726 upvotes
GTA
insync44 wrote: The Shield, any year, is a great product. Fast, reliable, frequent updates. Plays every video file.
Yup first gen here, I think I got it November 2015, imported it from the USA. 5 years and 6 months, it's still super fast and it's used every day.
May 31, 2008
236 posts
394 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Yup first gen here, I think I got it November 2015, imported it from the USA. 5 years and 6 months, it's still super fast and it's used every day.
Same, only updated the remote. Very happy with it for my needs and also use every day with no issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3217 posts
1963 upvotes
SW ON
I do not follow those events but a quick news check shows that a new Switch was not announced at the E3 event. Is it correct? So, it looks like there is no new SOC from Nvidia and no new imminent Shield.
Aug 20, 2009
8624 posts
3681 upvotes
No one knows, we don't have a crystal ball. Nvidia could very well announce a new Shield in the fall on the existing SoC, we don't know. The Shield TVs already on the market are more than adequate for streaming and do just fine for emulation stuff. There aren't a lot of native games. I'm not sure what the point of a new SoC would be, the additions would be minor. So I wouldn't really sweat it, the FOMO factor with the Shield is low because it's so good.

I have a 2015 Nvidia Shield TV that still works perfectly and receives updates. Same my other Shield which is a 2017 iteration. You will be well served for the foreseeable future either way and a new SoC is not going to make a big difference.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3217 posts
1963 upvotes
SW ON
Redmask wrote: No one knows, we don't have a crystal ball. Nvidia could very well announce a new Shield in the fall on the existing SoC, we don't know. The Shield TVs already on the market are more than adequate for streaming and do just fine for emulation stuff. There aren't a lot of native games. I'm not sure what the point of a new SoC would be, the additions would be minor. So I wouldn't really sweat it, the FOMO factor with the Shield is low because it's so good.

I have a 2015 Nvidia Shield TV that still works perfectly and receives updates. Same my other Shield which is a 2017 iteration. You will be well served for the foreseeable future either way and a new SoC is not going to make a big difference.
Many people disagree about that. The current SOC doesn't support VP9-HDR codec in hardware, so YouTube won't play HDR. And everything will supposedly be streamed with the AV1 codec in the nearest future, so there were hopes that the new SOC will support it in hardware. Some believe that if there is a new SOC it will inevitably support AV1. This was discussed here and there in multiple forums on RFD and elsewhere.

P.S. I agree that the current and previous Shields are great. Just wanted to explain what I found out about possible future new features before I bought the current one.
Aug 20, 2009
8624 posts
3681 upvotes
Fair enough, good points that I didn't consider at all, appreciate you setting me straight. I do think AV1 is the future but the rollout is going very slowly across platforms. I'm not personally that invested in HDR on Youtube and I think the legacy video codecs will be supported for a long time despite Google's posturing to the contrary.

Unfortunately unless you're an insider at Nvidia there is just no way of knowing when an updated SoC will hit the market.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3217 posts
1963 upvotes
SW ON
Redmask wrote: Fair enough, good points that I didn't consider at all, appreciate you setting me straight. I do think AV1 is the future but the rollout is going very slowly across platforms. I'm not personally that invested in HDR on Youtube and I think the legacy video codecs will be supported for a long time despite Google's posturing to the contrary.

Unfortunately unless you're an insider at Nvidia there is just no way of knowing when an updated SoC will hit the market.
I thought the same and bought the 2019 version before the potential announcement of a new SOC, which didn't happen.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4475 posts
4643 upvotes
GTA
alpovs wrote: I thought the same and bought the 2019 version before the potential announcement of a new SOC, which didn't happen.
As Redmask said, a new SoC could still drop sometime in the future, who knows. It definitely didn't happen at E3 is all.
As far as codecs, yes, many act like it is a make or break issue. Follow their concerns back to when they started though, and it comes off as FUD. The Shield TV still runs well, and it ran well when it launched and some critics were saying it lacked that codec. Fair enough. Yet reliable devices that support YT HDR are few and far between, have launched recently, or are found on devices I would say are of questionable origin, reliability and features. Not to say they don't work, but I stopped playing the no-name Android box game years ago when I bought the Shield TV. If others feel that slagging the Shield will make their preferred product look better, whatever justification they need I guess.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3217 posts
1963 upvotes
SW ON
The new Switch was announced today. Those who follows this closely, can you tell if it has a new SOC? I couldn't find this info after a quick glance.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4321 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: The new Switch was announced today. Those who follows this closely, can you tell if it has a new SOC? I couldn't find this info after a quick glance.
Same internals as the previous from what I read so there isn't anything new to be excited about. If there was a new SoC, there would have been rumours of a new shield which and could have translated into an updated switch console. I am guessing with the global shortage right now, Nvidia's focus isn't a new Soc which i think is a smart decision. Maybe next year we can see something.