Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Nvidia shield with remote Amazon Warehouse "Used" Warm $180.89

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2019 9:58 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Yet the fact still stands :) the reason it's not showing it's age is mainly because it was an over kill for 90% of what it was supposed to do back then (one can argue it remains an overkill for any media streaming purposes right now).
@U4LIFE has a point that is shared by many of the vertan owners. The pricing never really depreciated to match the age of hardware (16GB 2015 ShieldTV MSRP was $200 USD) it's not that far fetched to either expect to pay less for the same hardware that now costs less to make compared to 2015 or to get better hardware for the same price tag.
Pricing is a function market demand, which has remained high for this product essentially since birth.

In exchange for this premium we receive continual new features and fantastic long lasting software support from NVIDIA.

When your hardware is on top for years, you earn your premium.

That said, I will always find avenues for savings, thus why this thread exists.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2014
1044 posts
551 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: To your first question, it runs kodi like a dream.
Just got one. Remote and Controller. Tell me about Kodi and/or IPTV. I recently cancelled my cable and would like NHL and NFL games next year.

Thank you
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
redflagdealsguy wrote: That said, I will always find avenues for savings, thus why this thread exists.
Well TBH, it's because of threads like this that price isn't getting down, Amazon warehouse won't bring down prices if people continue to bite at higher prices, Amazon is stuck with these returns and has nothing to do with them but reduce them till they are cleared. If people keep buying that controller bundle for $205 (now $213) it will never get down to $150~$175 as it did before.

Just like with Nintendo, the answer to price fixing (esp. that late in the game) is not to jump on "any" price reduction, just meaningful/significant ones (esp. in cases where part of the reduction comes automatically from giving up 2 years of warranty when buying used from amazon warehouse deals).

As I said earlier in this thread, it's a solid machine, just not for these prices, and the frequency of the Amazon warehouse deals in the last few months compared to last year also seems to confirm that more people are having second thoughts about value at MSRP and lack of meaningful sales.

Annotation 2019-06-08 162227.png
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
@aasoror

The Shield TV and Apple TV are the only supported media players with gigabit Ethernet. In addition, Android TV and TVOS handle multiple accounts with support for simultaneous multiple country apps. There is, of course, the excellent Fire TV sticks, but you are really wedded to the country you have Prime with ( it will work without Prime). In addition, the interface is one big ad for Amazon. In the Android TV would there is the Mi, Shield and Sony TVs. The Mi is nowhere near the quality of the Shield and it’s support is questionable. There’s a reason both the Shield and Apple TV still command premium prices. There’s just nothing that comes close to either. Support in Canada for the Shield is now much better, though still not up to that of the Apple TV. $200 out of a $4000 video setup is nothing. Great media player.
Last edited by pmcd on Jun 8th, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Well TBH, it's because of threads like this that price isn't getting down, Amazon warehouse won't bring down prices if people continue to bite at higher prices, Amazon is stuck with these returns and has nothing to do with them but reduce them till they are cleared. If people keep buying that controller bundle for $205 (now $213) it will never get down to $150~$175 as it did before.

Just like with Nintendo, the answer to price fixing (esp. that late in the game) is not to jump on "any" price reduction, just meaningful/significant ones (esp. in cases where part of the reduction comes automatically from giving up 2 years of warranty when buying used from amazon warehouse deals).

As I said earlier in this thread, it's a solid machine, just not for these prices, and the frequency of the Amazon warehouse deals in the last few months compared to last year also seems to confirm that more people are having second thoughts about value at MSRP and lack of meaningful sales.

Annotation 2019-06-08 162227.png
You're not wrong that this thread is driving some demand, and plausibly supporting prices on Amazon. Where I disagree with you is on the rationale and proportion of returns in relation to sales. You're assuming a lot, and humbleness in the face of unknowns is the mark of a good data consumer.

Regarding your value assessment, it's strictly a personal one, and doesn't reflect the median purchaser as evidenced by the pricing in North America.

This is a premium product, and the price remains premium in the android box space, but compared to other home theater electronics it's a steal... and I think folks recognize this.

On an aside, I took a break for a few hours and I've come back to a large list of replies and notifications... time to clear my list.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jun 8th, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2199 posts
4616 upvotes
Mississauga
I was planning on getting the Harmony remote (currently on sale at Best Buy) for the Nvidia Shield, does anyone know which of the "Harmony Elite or Harmony Companion" will work with the Shield? Both remotes come with the "Harmony Hub". The price difference between them is 299$ vs 129$.
Telus $30/75gb US-Canada Plan x 3 lines, $10/Talk& Text line - 24 mths
VVM, 2000 LD minutes, CAN-Int'l Text ($0), 0$ AppleWatch, 5$ CAN-US only Tablet
Rogers $48.99 /24 mths, Ignite 1.5G internet
CIBC, Tang and EQ
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jun 8th, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1225 posts
192 upvotes
Again, I just though I’d ask here. Between Nvidia, Xbox one X and Firestick, what is the best bang for ur buck for streaming.

Right now Xbox one X is for $469 with 20x points at sdm, and then there is Nvidia at Amazon, and then firestick.

I would say the resell value for the Xbox one X would be higher than any of the other 2...

So really what would be the choice really considering all aspects.

Thanks for your input in advance..9
Cheers
$52.xx all in..
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
theplayground wrote: Again, I just though I’d ask here. Between Nvidia, Xbox one X and Firestick, what is the best bang for ur buck for streaming.

Right now Xbox one X is for $469 with 20x points at sdm, and then there is Nvidia at Amazon, and then firestick.

I would say the resell value for the Xbox one X would be higher than any of the other 2...

So really what would be the choice really considering all aspects.

Thanks for your input in advance..9
Cheers
Value for money, and I say this as an Xbox X lover...

Nvidia Shield
- Cheaper and arguably better gaming experience than the X
- Unmatched streaming experience... Xbox X doesn't support IPTV
- Resale value is holding up very well
- Windows 10 remotely rendered on Amazon Workspaces (using mouse and keyboard)
- Smart Home Control Center

If you just want streaming and pinch pennies, buy the Firestick 4K:
- IPTV is supported via Play Store and side-loading unsourced apps
- All streaming apps work well
- it's $54.99 for one or $49.99 each if you buy two (Staples) [using $10 coupon]

If you love the elegance of an all-in-one gaming experience on the Xbox X, go for it, but pay for Xbox Live. The Nvidia Shield Geforce Now gaming experience is good, and free, and supports 4K120 on a +100mpbs pipe, but it's still in beta.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1225 posts
192 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Value for money, and I say this as an Xbox X lover...

Nvidia Shield
- Cheaper and arguably better gaming experience than the X
- Unmatched streaming experience... Xbox X doesn't support IPTV
- Resale value is holding up very well
- Windows 10 remotely rendered on Amazon Workspaces (using mouse and keyboard)
- Smart Home Control Center

If you just want streaming and pinch pennies, buy the Firestick 4K:
- IPTV is supported via Play Store and side-loading unsourced apps
- All streaming apps work well
- it's $54.99 for one or $49.99 each if you buy two (Staples) [using $10 coupon]

If you love the elegance of an all-in-one gaming experience on the Xbox X, go for it, but pay for Xbox Live. The Nvidia Shield Geforce Now gaming experience is good, and free, and supports 4K120 on a +100mpbs pipe, but it's still in beta.
Thanks for ur input. I totally forgot to mention that I’m not a gamer, so kodi and iptv are essential, but I think i may just go with firestick.
So just for streaming, the nvidia would trump above all with the difference of $125 compared to firestick.
Okay cool..
Thanks again kindly..
Cheers
$52.xx all in..
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
theplayground wrote: Thanks for ur input. I totally forgot to mention that I’m not a gamer, so kodi and iptv are essential, but I think i may just go with firestick.
So just for streaming, the nvidia would trump above all with the difference of $125 compared to firestick.
Okay cool..
Thanks again kindly..
Cheers
Don't cheap out by getting the regular Firestick, get the Firestick 4K. More computational horsepower, more responsiveness.

Enjoy.
Jun 8, 2012
175 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
jadoogar wrote: I was planning on getting the Harmony remote (currently on sale at Best Buy) for the Nvidia Shield, does anyone know which of the "Harmony Elite or Harmony Companion" will work with the Shield? Both remotes come with the "Harmony Hub". The price difference between them is 299$ vs 129$.
I have the Companion and it works well with the Shield.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
jadoogar wrote: I was planning on getting the Harmony remote (currently on sale at Best Buy) for the Nvidia Shield, does anyone know which of the "Harmony Elite or Harmony Companion" will work with the Shield? Both remotes come with the "Harmony Hub". The price difference between them is 299$ vs 129$.
Any harmony with hub will work. The hub is what communicates with the shield using bluetooth.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
its on sale now for 79 bucks, the harmony hub with remote...works with shield and apple tv 4k
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2018
1075 posts
664 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
What version of Android is running on the Shield TV?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2002
1668 posts
219 upvotes
I would wait until the new 2019 version comes out, probably around Black Friday. The shield is great but it's 4 years old; it seems silly to go in now when you can either wait for the better, newer one or save a bundle on this one later.
Dec 25, 2013
628 posts
455 upvotes
Brampton
Only thing I'd say as a provider is that the remote for this gives you limited controls over IPTV. But I mean, it should still run smoothly
Jan 3, 2018
201 posts
151 upvotes
If you want a device just for iptv or Netflix or to watch TV/movies, then go for Amazon fire stick 4k.
Nvidia shield would be an overkill if not used for gaming purpose.
================================================
When you start loving pain, you must know end is near !!!
================================================
May 26, 2012
372 posts
208 upvotes
Montreal
projector wrote: What version of Android is running on the Shield TV?
The official specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM
Android 8.0 (Oreo) powered by Android TV™ and Chromecast™ built in
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
loginn wrote: The official specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM
Android 8.0 (Oreo) powered by Android TV™ and Chromecast™ built in
Android 9.0 (Pie) update will be soon too.