Apr 29, 2014
986 posts
338 upvotes
Pickering, ON
This has been the case for a while now.
Jan 12, 2011
281 posts
240 upvotes
SleepyEyez wrote: This has been the case for a while now.
This one is different. This one is a free second "controller" not the free remote
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1566 posts
1419 upvotes
Pallet Town
Hmm I personally would rather a free remote or reduced price, but it's better than nothing. I'm glad I can hold off for now, since WD just released a new firmware update for my WD TV Live and it seemed to help
Feb 9, 2011
755 posts
282 upvotes
Hawk25 wrote: Hmm I personally would rather a free remote or reduced price, but it's better than nothing. I'm glad I can hold off for now, since WD just released a new firmware update for my WD TV Live and it seemed to help

I second the comment about the just released WDTV firmware update. Brought back some life into the unit and and runs on steroids now. Lol
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10029 posts
3376 upvotes
SleepyEyez wrote: This has been the case for a while now.
The free remote, not controller, promotion was over in early April.
Nov 18, 2003
176 posts
213 upvotes
Sorry to hijack, but can you share some info on the WDTV firmware update? I retired my WDTV a while ago after the last update seemed to make mine crawl and u replaced it with a Roku 3. No regrets, but if I can resurrect the old girl for use on another TV, it would be great!
[OP]
Sep 7, 2014
721 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
sohrab wrote: Sorry to hijack, but can you share some info on the WDTV firmware update? I retired my WDTV a while ago after the last update seemed to make mine crawl and u replaced it with a Roku 3. No regrets, but if I can resurrect the old girl for use on another TV, it would be great!
General information

The following applications have been removed due to the end of support for this product from the applicable service provider:

ABC iView
DailyMotion
Funspot
Flixster
Hulu Japan
Live365
MediaMarkt
RedBull
Saturn
YouTube Videos App
Resolved Issues

Resolved device lockup issue when streaming video
Resolved issue of Youtube SSL v3 deprecation.
Resolved issues with Facebook app API error by changing to v2.0 API.
Resolved issue of SiriusXM app crash during streaming.
Resolved Twitter login issue.
Resolved issue of white screen displayed few seconds when launching AOL On
Resolved issue of SnagFilms not loading videos.
Resolved MyTV SSL issue.
Resolved issue of RSS feeds quit after a short delay.
Resolved issue of Video Playback Sequence option does not work.
Resolved issue of unable to unlock My Book HDD via IR remote with the first attempt.
Resolved issue of unable to recognize My Book Duo when the drive is locked.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
1033 posts
199 upvotes
Hope next month they give both controllers and remote. I'd buy.
Jan 11, 2008
205 posts
42 upvotes
Hawk25 wrote: Hmm I personally would rather a free remote or reduced price, but it's better than nothing. I'm glad I can hold off for now, since WD just released a new firmware update for my WD TV Live and it seemed to help
NCIX has it for $289.98 and it comes with the free remote (as opposed to a 2nd controller)
http://www.ncix.com/detail/nvidia-shiel ... 116985.htm
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20211 posts
5653 upvotes
GTA
My remote has never worked properly (most of the time it never connects), and I like using the controller to navigate more. I got the remote thinking that my gf and guests would prefer it over the controller, but the controller is pretty easy to use as well, just clunky.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19448 posts
28230 upvotes
ONTARIO
coriolis wrote: My remote has never worked properly (most of the time it never connects), and I like using the controller to navigate more. I got the remote thinking that my gf and guests would prefer it over the controller, but the controller is pretty easy to use as well, just clunky.
That's a shame. Maybe you should RMA it. I never have issues with mine. I love my remote and am really glad they included it for free at the time (black friday).
The controller is great, but when I just want to sit back and watch a movie or tv show through Kodi I don't want to use a big controller.
Feb 9, 2011
755 posts
282 upvotes
sohrab wrote: Sorry to hijack, but can you share some info on the WDTV firmware update? I retired my WDTV a while ago after the last update seemed to make mine crawl and u replaced it with a Roku 3. No regrets, but if I can resurrect the old girl for use on another TV, it would be great!
Plug it in and update the firmware. You will be very surprised.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20211 posts
5653 upvotes
GTA
BobSagget wrote: That's a shame. Maybe you should RMA it. I never have issues with mine. I love my remote and am really glad they included it for free at the time (black friday).
The controller is great, but when I just want to sit back and watch a movie or tv show through Kodi I don't want to use a big controller.
It's worked a few times but most of the time, it blinks trying to sync and just stalls out. I've reached out to Nvidia but they've just given me different methods of resetings, syncing, etc. without any success.

I'd like to RMA it but I bought mines used (no box or receipt), so I'm not sure if Ill get it.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
515 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Ribbyx wrote: Plug it in and update the firmware. You will be very surprised.
It would have been great if they allowed Kodi on it.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14636 posts
8798 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Price in the title please.
Thanks for the WD update, use mine in our trailer.

Updated Notorious last night on one box and prefer the previous version, was faster. Leaving the other boxes alone.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2208 posts
1077 upvotes
Saint John
aljudeh wrote: General information

The following applications have been removed due to the end of support for this product from the applicable service provider:

ABC iView
DailyMotion
Funspot
Flixster
Hulu Japan
Live365
MediaMarkt
RedBull
Saturn
YouTube Videos App
Resolved Issues

Resolved device lockup issue when streaming video
Resolved issue of Youtube SSL v3 deprecation.
Resolved issues with Facebook app API error by changing to v2.0 API.
Resolved issue of SiriusXM app crash during streaming.
Resolved Twitter login issue.
Resolved issue of white screen displayed few seconds when launching AOL On
Resolved issue of SnagFilms not loading videos.
Resolved MyTV SSL issue.
Resolved issue of RSS feeds quit after a short delay.
Resolved issue of Video Playback Sequence option does not work.
Resolved issue of unable to unlock My Book HDD via IR remote with the first attempt.
Resolved issue of unable to recognize My Book Duo when the drive is locked.
Did they ever fix the stuttering when playing back certain mkv files at 24p with synced refresh rate? I gave up on my WDTV Live Streaming after a couple years when they never bothered to fix this... but I still have it in a box somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6421 posts
1575 upvotes
Richmond Hill
HotYaris wrote: It would have been great if they allowed Kodi on it.
Kodi is not allowed on the nvidia shield tv?
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10029 posts
3376 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: Kodi is not allowed on the nvidia shield tv?
It is on the Shield, one of the main reasons people get it. I believe the poster was referring to the WD Live.