[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14441 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga

nVidia versus ATI

Is there a source that will show me comparable models of
ATI and nVidia Video cards? AGP and PCI-E?

Are there some AGP cards which are better than PCI-E cards?

I have a 9600 AIW AGP. thinking of upgrading when I get a new PCI-E mobo.
Don't want to downgrade, not knowing the different model numbers.

I want hard comparisons, not ATI SUCKS or nVidia Blows.

Thanks
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2004
4182 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Best Comparison table: here

Though ... usually works out like this ..

x1900 better than 7900s
7800s better than x1800s

and below that i don't remember ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9249 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe | 3x6TB WD Black | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 8GB GTX 2070 Super Windforce | 2 x 27" Samsung S27D390HS PLS | Win10 Pro 64-bit
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14441 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga
Ok, now, is price enuff of a comparitive determinant?
Does price tell the whole story?

Rather than trying to figure out all the numbers,

Like a 6800GS is $179US and so is a Sapphire X850XT
Are these comparable?
Prices at NewEgg, Not Canadian but still a vaid price source.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2004
4182 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
If you want to do a full upgrade to a PCI-E system, I would go for either a 7800GT or if you got a little extra cash a 7900GT (eVGA KO is only $359 at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink]). Just make sure you match your gfx card with the rest of your upgrade. There is no point getting a fast 7900GT and only getting a 3500+. I would say if you don't have enough cash for a Opty 165 or a 3800+ X2 and a good graphics card I would wait it out, as prices will drop for all the S939 systems when the new DDR2 AMDs come out in June.

The best of the AGP cards is the 7800GS, followed closely by the X850XT-PE and 6800 Ultra. These might be worth it if your current system is around a P4 3Ghz speeds, but it's a real dead end upgrade as you will never be able to bring the card along when you go for the inevitable upgrade to PCI-E.

Though for sure any of these three cards will be a HUGE improvement over your current 9600.

7800GS review: here
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6724 posts
67 upvotes
mlc2000 wrote:Ok, now, is price enuff of a comparitive determinant?
Does price tell the whole story?

Rather than trying to figure out all the numbers,

Like a 6800GS is $179US and so is a Sapphire X850XT
Are these comparable?
Prices at NewEgg, Not Canadian but still a vaid price source.
Sometimes yes, sometime's no. Usually when i help someone to determine the best videocard to get, I get them to list a budget, then compare the offerings from ATI and Nvidia at that price range and recommend which one is the better buy. Between those two cards, the 6800GS can't compare to the X850XT. Games will look alot better on the X850XT because it's the faster card, so you'll be able to get high fps with AA on. With the 6800GS you'll get lower fps but have nicer lighting/shading effects.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
6029 posts
1019 upvotes
the 7900gt is the card to get now
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9249 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Despite the X850XT not supporting Shader 3.0, I'd still pick it over any 6800-series card. It's just faster, period.

I have the X850XT PE personally, and the absense of Shader 3.0 support is not evident to me at all. Hell I don't even know what it looks like.

If you were truly concerned with the latest technologies supports, then obviously one of the new-gen mid-range cards will be your match.

However there are certain "old monsters" which age well and offer awesome value as today's midrange cards. The X850XT is one such card, as are a few 6800 and 7600GTs.
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe | 3x6TB WD Black | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 8GB GTX 2070 Super Windforce | 2 x 27" Samsung S27D390HS PLS | Win10 Pro 64-bit
Banned
Jan 22, 2005
1762 posts
Proof of more better things to come for ATI .... way better than nVidia:

ATI Introduces Complete Line of Next Generation FireGL'TM' Workstation Graphics Accelerators
Monday April 24, 6:00 am ET

MARKHAM, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - April 24, 2006) -
ATI's Avivo(TM) technology powers new family of high performance FireGL products for DCC, CAD and visualization customers

ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX:ATY - News; NASDAQ:ATYT - News) today announced a complete top-to-bottom line of next generation FireGL(TM) workstation graphics accelerators for professional users. The new family of products range from an ultra high-end one gigabyte configuration to 128MB model, and are all based on ATI's scalable, ultrathreaded architecture with Avivo(TM) video and display technology.

The next generation FireGL family includes the FireGL(TM) V3300 and FireGL(TM) V3400 for the entry level segment, the FireGL(TM) V5200 targeting the mid-range, and the high-end FireGL(TM) V7200, complementing the ultra high-end FireGL(TM) V7300 and FireGL(TM) V7350 announced in March of this year. With these products, ATI continues to advance the state of the art in workstation graphics, and drive advanced features to more affordable price points. Based on ATI's industry-leading Avivo technology, these accelerators incorporate the following advanced features:

- A 10-bit display pipeline capable of rendering scenes with over a billion colors;

- High dynamic range (HDR) 16-bit per RGB component output for incredible image fidelity;

- Dual link output, capable of driving ultra-high resolution cinema/widescreen monitors.

"ATI's engineering excellence continually leads the industry, and these new workstation products are no exception, delivering the first one gigabyte framebuffer, the first dual link output in an entry level solution, the first to offer two dual link outputs in a mid-range product, and the first to develop a 10-bit rendering pipeline as a core capability," said Joe Chien, General Manager, Workstation Group, ATI. "With this new lineup, ATI delivers the fastest performing and most fully featured workstation graphics accelerators at each price segment."

"ATI has now set its sights on expanding their business further into the mid-range and high end segments of the market, having led the entry level workstation graphics market since the industry transition to PCI Express," said Lloyd Cohen, Research Director, Technical Computing, IDC. "ATI is well poised to make a competitive play in all segments with this new product lineup."

"At Autodesk, we're continually striving to meet the needs of our customers, who are being challenged to handle increasingly large and complex scenes. Alongside the tools and architecture that we provide in Autodesk Maya software, our users require graphics hardware that can give them the power to drive these sophisticated and intricate data sets that are becoming the staples of their day-to-day work. The FireGL has all that and more," said Jill Ramsay, Senior Product Manager for Autodesk Maya Software. "With support of the 64-bit OS and now its new Avivo technology, ATI is an important partner that understands the direction that we want to take the industry in and is delivering the kind of experience professional users demand."

ATI's next generation workstation graphics accelerators offer a wide range of memory configurations and processing power depending on the needs of the end-user. The new line of FireGL products also offer the widest cross-platform support, including the upcoming Windows Vista(TM) operating system, and is optimized for applications based on OpenGL
Banned
Jan 22, 2005
1762 posts
ATI acquires Bitboys Oy, a leading developer of mobile graphics technology
Tuesday May 2, 6:00 am ET

MARKHAM, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - May 2, 2006) - ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX:ATY - News; NASDAQ:ATYT - News) has acquired privately held Bitboys Oy, a 15-year veteran of the graphics industry for up to EUR 35.2 million (about US$44 million). The final value is subject to certain performance-related conditions. Bitboys brings valuable engineering experience, technology and customer relationships that enhance ATI's existing mobile phone multimedia offerings. Based in Finland, the Bitboys team will be fully integrated in to ATI's Handheld Business Unit, and form the nucleus for a key design centre for ATI in Europe.

ATI is well-known in the mobile phone industry for providing high-performance graphics and multimedia solutions; this acquisition enhances ATI's product portfolio with a number of technologies, including OpenGL ES 2.0 3D graphics and OpenVG 1.0 2D vector graphics technologies optimized for high-volume mainstream mobile phones. These graphics cores will be supported by ATI's common software stack which covers its complete range of multimedia co-processors. This unified software environment allows developers to easily create content for a range of devices and offers mobile phone manufacturers faster time to market.

"ATI gives us what we need to reach the next level," said Mikko Saari, CEO, Bitboys. "Their market presence and ability to sell our products as part of a complete multimedia lineup will prove incredibly valuable to us. It's a classic win-win, realizing value for both companies."

"Bitboys dovetails into ATI perfectly," said Paul Dal Santo, GM of ATI's Handheld Business Unit. "Handsets are transitioning to hardware acceleration for graphics and multimedia, and the Bitboys team will play a critical role as we drive this key inflection point to make ATI the platform of choice for content providers."

Vector graphics is a vital component of a multimedia product lineup as it will become the standard for creating user interfaces on mobile devices. It's a very compact format that allows more graphics to be stored on a phone and for content to be distributed much more efficiently over mobile networks. In addition, vector graphics content automatically scales to any screen resolution so developers can deliver content across a range of devices without reworking all of the art assets.
Banned
Jan 22, 2005
1762 posts
And more from ATI Technologies!!!!

UPDATE 2-ATI strikes multimedia partnership with Nokia
Thu May 4, 2006 1:13 PM ET
(Adds details from conference call, executive interviews. In U.S. dollars unless noted)

By Susan Taylor

OTTAWA, May 4 (Reuters) - Graphics chip designer ATI Technologies Inc. (ATYT.OQ: Quote, Profile, Research) (ATY.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) and Nokia (NOK1V.HE: Quote, Profile, Research), the world's No. 1 mobile phone maker, said on Thursday they will work together to bring multimedia content such as music, 3D games and video to Nokia's products.

By making it easier and faster for developers to get such content onto its handsets, Nokia expects to boost demand. In turn, ATI hopes to sell Nokia more chips.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but ATI said it expects to see "some opportunities" to boost its sales to Nokia in late 2007, or sooner.

It typically takes 12 to 18 months to develop such multimedia applications, executives said on a conference call.

"We look at their market share and their huge, huge volumes -- 300 million plus handsets -- and clearly we see some very, very significant opportunities," Paul Dal Santo, ATI's handheld products vice-president, told Reuters.

"I'm just very, very confident that this is going to turn out to be very, very significant financially for ATI."

ATI will not be a guaranteed supplier, but expects the arrangement to bolster its odds of winning business with Nokia. At present, Markham, Ontario-based ATI has only modest sales with the Finnish firm.

Shares in ATI jumped as much as 6 percent after the announcement, before easing to a gain of about 4.5 percent. The stock was up 81 Canadian cents at C$19.27 in Toronto and 80 cents at $17.43 on Nasdaq.

The two companies want to simplify multimedia development by promoting open standards and providing integrated hardware, software and tools. That means developers would need to create content only once and it would work on a range of devices.

"Nokia's phones are much more than just voice devices, they are more like multimedia computers," Ilkka Raiskinen, Nokia's senior multimedia vice-president, said in a conference call.

"Like in the computer world, it is extremely crucial that you have a good architecture and a good way (that) other companies can build their application content for the devices."

ATI plans to launch dedicated tools and a software development kit for developers in the fall of 2006.

"Although we expect design wins to follow this announcement ... we do not expect a contribution to ATI (financial results) until fiscal 2007," UBS analyst Robert Dennison said in a note.

The announcement comes one week after ATI said it had bought Finnish mobile graphics firm Bitboys Oy for 35.2 million euros ($44.6 million).

"There appears to be a great deal of mobile carrier interest in mobile multimedia, though consumer interest remains rather muted," BMO Nesbitt Burns analyst Brian Piccioni said in a note.

"Nonetheless, selling something to Nokia is more advantageous than not selling, so we believe this is a positive announcement. Investors should not lose sight of the potential that ATI's core PC-related revenues may plummet within the next few quarters as Intel is re-entering the mainstream chipset."

($1=$1.11 Canadian)

Banned
Jan 22, 2005
1762 posts
Want a NEW Card???? Checkout this one!!!

ATI's Radeon'R' X1900GT Graphics Processor Joins Award-Winning X1900 Product Line
Friday May 5, 8:00 am ET

MARKHAM, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - May 5, 2006) -
ATI's Radeon
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4046 posts
291 upvotes
I'd wait it out, unless you can afford a whole new PC. Personally, if you can wait it out for Conroe to build a new PC then you could have an amazing current computer, rather than a decently fast computer that can't be upgraded in the future.

LEMAR
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17900 posts
942 upvotes
I've had good success with both, but the Lifetime warranty on NVIDIA cards vs. the crappy 1 year warranty with ATI always makes me go with nV
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4650 posts
180 upvotes
Austin/Markham
duckdown wrote:I've had good success with both, but the Lifetime warranty on NVIDIA cards vs. the crappy 1 year warranty with ATI always makes me go with nV
that makes no sense, Nvidia doesn't even make video cards, the warranty varies with the manufacturer....at least ATI built video cards wid 5 yrs warranties (not anymore, da penny pinching cheapoes made it 1 yr :( , but at least they build some of their own cards and support em).
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6724 posts
67 upvotes
TigerEROS wrote:Proof of more better things to come for ATI .... way better than nVidia:
Yeah I agree. I predict ATI will be the monster graphics leader in the future considering their dominance and expansion in other graphic markets. They have already penetrated the mobile phone market in certain phone models long before reaching that deal with Nokia. They also have dominance in the notebook industry. Not sure about the console market yet as it's still too early to tell how well the xbox360 will do, but delays in PS3 certainly isn't helping nvidia. Analysts are also predicting the coding in DX10 will likely favour ATI. And finally ATI should also be the first to release the forth-coming unified shader architecture for desktop videocards considering they already have a working gpu of it and Nvidia is at least half a year behind on that. ;)
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4650 posts
180 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Cafe_333 wrote:Yeah I agree. I predict ATI will be the monster graphics leader in the future considering their dominance and expansion in other graphic markets. They have already penetrated the mobile phone market in certain phone models long before reaching that deal with Nokia. They also have dominance in the notebook industry. Not sure about the console market yet as it's still too early to tell how well the xbox360 will do, but delays in PS3 certainly isn't helping nvidia. Analysts are also predicting the coding in DX10 will likely favour ATI. And finally ATI should also be the first to release the forth-coming unified shader architecture for desktop videocards considering they already have a working gpu of it and Nvidia is at least half a year behind on that. ;)
i disagree, Nvidia is huge in the motherboard chipset market at the moment, and NVIDIA is huge, the company is much much bigger than ATI And has a lot more money. They have dbl the market capitalization and are worth more than twice as much on paper (stock price). They also have more money in da bank etc. Nvidia probably could buy ATI if they had 5bln to spare...thye can have a lot of crappy product cycles before ATI could get up in financial performance.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2002
2471 posts
3 upvotes
webdoctors wrote:i disagree, Nvidia is huge in the motherboard chipset market at the moment
ORLY?

Latest Market share (chipsets)
Intel - 57%
VIA - 15%
ATI - 12%
Nvidia - 9%
SIS - 6%

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/d ... 41244.html
webdoctors wrote:and NVIDIA is huge, the company is much much bigger than ATI And has a lot more money. They have dbl the market capitalization and are worth more than twice as much on paper (stock price). They also have more money in da bank etc. Nvidia probably could buy ATI if they had 5bln to spare...thye can have a lot of crappy product cycles before ATI could get up in financial performance.
Again, I'm not sure where you are going with a "bigger company" argument. ATI has a bigger market share in desktop, mobile, handheld sectors despite not doing as well as Nvidia financially. Currently ATI's flagship card though not having HUGE profit margins is the better buy for the consumer. So bigger company does not equate better products.
DESKTOP | Intel Core2 Duo e6300 | 2GB DDR2800 | eVGA 680i | Seagate SATAII 320GB | Pioneer 111D | BFG 7600GT | Antec NSK4400 | Windows XP SP2 + Vista RC2 | DELL 2005FPW
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2135 posts
341 upvotes
duckdown wrote:I've had good success with both, but the Lifetime warranty on NVIDIA cards vs. the crappy 1 year warranty with ATI always makes me go with nV
Is this true? What does the warranty cover? I have a GF TI4800 sitting here on a table with a burnt out fan and it gives artifacts immediately on bootup - before it can get hot enough to fail.

Does it have to be an Nvidia card or is it good enough that it's an MSI card with an Nvidia chipset? I went to the MSI site and it seemed to say 3 years on video cards so I figured I was out of luck.

As for my opinion on ATI vs Nvidia - I was a huge ATI fan from back in the days of having one on the old VLB platform but after stuggling with their horrible driver support the past few years, I'll never buy ATI again unless it's a HUGE deal that I can't pass up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)