• May 6th, 2019 11:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1265 posts
602 upvotes
Regina

NVME to USB C enclosure

Looking for a good NVME enclosure to USB C I have seen some on Amazon, but their read and write 4K random is very slow at around 20 MBs. Not sure if this would really effect me.
Images
  • crystal.png
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
10 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8163 upvotes
Edmonton
waloshin wrote: Looking for a good NVME enclosure to USB C I have seen some on Amazon, but their read and write 4K random is very slow at around 20 MBs. Not sure if this would really effect me.
I have one I can test, if it’s important to you. I’ve got a Samsung drive in it. Let me know.

But since you don’t say what you want it for, it’s hard for someone to tell you whether it will make a difference to you or not.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1265 posts
602 upvotes
Regina
CNeufeld wrote: I have one I can test, if it’s important to you. I’ve got a Samsung drive in it. Let me know.

But since you don’t say what you want it for, it’s hard for someone to tell you whether it will make a difference to you or not.

C
I would use the drive for external video footage up to 4K while editing on my Macbook Air 2018.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8163 upvotes
Edmonton
waloshin wrote: I would use the drive for external video footage up to 4K while editing on my Macbook Air 2018.
The “4K” refers to the size of the blocks of data being written, AFAIK. Not to the type of video data you’re saving.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8163 upvotes
Edmonton
This is the test of my Samsung 970 1TB drive (internal):
Internal Samsung.PNG
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1265 posts
602 upvotes
Regina
Not bad seems like the controller is not limiting the drive too much other than the usb 3.1 limitation.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7094 posts
1426 upvotes
Toronto
When I benchmark my SSD it often shows less than half the rated 4k numbers. There was one time I was able to hit the rated 4k numbers but only once and never again.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1586 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: This is the test of my Samsung 970 1TB drive (internal):

Internal Samsung.PNG
Is that the pro or the evo?

The 4k tests look pretty slow for a Samsung 970, for both Evo and Pro.
toalan wrote: When I benchmark my SSD it often shows less than half the rated 4k numbers. There was one time I was able to hit the rated 4k numbers but only once and never again.
Not sure if you're aware, but Meltdown and Spectre patches hamper a lot of the benchmark numbers (I've tested). Dunno if it applies to your case (there's probably many other factors), but it's possible that the numbers that you're comparing are different because of that.

waloshin wrote: Looking for a good NVME enclosure to USB C I have seen some on Amazon, but their read and write 4K random is very slow at around 20 MBs. Not sure if this would really effect me.
Do you have a NVMe slot on your motherboard? Or can you get a NVMe to PCIe adaptor? Cuz NVMe to USB really destroys the benchmark numbers.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1265 posts
602 upvotes
Regina
Plan to use on a 2018 MacBook Air externally.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2169 posts
1055 upvotes
Saint John
4K random speeds are what you get when reading/writing very small files; it has no relation to the "4K" in 4K video. It's often used as a benchmark for SSD performance for applications like booting the OS or loading programs. For recording video, you should see performance close to sequential speeds. Even SD cards, which often report 4K numbers less than 1MB/sec, have no problem recording 4K video.

Editing video, I'm not sure, but I would guess that the block sizes would be much larger than 4K. You might not see performance consistently in the 1GB/sec + range, but I'm pretty confident the performance would be more than adequate. You're using a Macbook Air with a thermally constrained ULV processor -- I imagine that would bottleneck your performance long before disk IO.