Oakridge Public School worst school in Mississauga

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2021 12:31 am
[OP]
Feb 9, 2011
9 posts
mississauga

Oakridge Public School worst school in Mississauga

Does anyone know what the heck is going on at Oakridge P.S.? The school is in one of the best neighourhoods, just off Mississauga Road, but it ranks as the worst school in Mississauga. In the Frasier institute ranking of schools Oakridge is actually dead last, ranking a sad 3/10 in academic performance and related scores. The rankings also indicate that over 76% of students at this school need ESL courses and the average household income is $37,000. Hmmmm, so this doesn't sound like your average Mississauga road student... So if these are not Mississauga road students - who are they? Are they the students from the projects that exist just off of Mississauga road, who are actually supposed to attend Thorn Lodge, a much better school, that offers way better ESL resources? Are the projects students being bussed in from outside their school district contrary to peel school board guidelines? If this is being done, it's really hurting these students because this tiny school is not set up to deal with those type of needs. And if it is being done, why is the peel school board permitting it?
34 replies
Banned
Dec 14, 2010
62 posts
10 upvotes
scarborough
kids who are fortunate to live on mississauga road usually go to private school. as affluent as mississauga rd. families are, around the area like dundas and erin mills are some ****** run down ghetto communities. those kids usually get stuck at oakridge. if u want an excellent high school thats nearby with top notch academics, go to woodlands. don't be fooled. woodlands looks run down but every year i was there we had a provincial champ in the descartes contest or the bio contest. it also has the enhanced program.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
85 upvotes
You're sure it's the Mississauga school? I live right by an Oakridge PS (Scarborough, at Pharmacy/Danforth), close to a really bad part of town too
[OP]
Feb 9, 2011
9 posts
mississauga
but why are the 'ghetto' kids being shipped to this school every day when it doesn't clearly fails to meet their needs? Oakridge is a puny little school with few resources - it is basically given the resources that would be given to a rich white neighbourhood - little or no focus on ESL, learning deficits, behavioral problems, etc. when all these are clrarly needed here. It was created for a rich neighbourhood with Canadian born kids who don't need these resources, and as you put it, are probably not even using this school - theyre going to private schools. Meanwhile, all the 'ghetto' kids, as you call them, are getting the short end of the stick! why is the peel school board allowing this to happen? just so they can keep their numbers up in this school to protect their own jobs, at the expense of the 'ghetto students' whose futures they're ruining. if the 'ghetto' students weren't being shipped in, there would not be enough students to keep this school open. but who cares? They're low income fools who don't know any better anyway, right?
[OP]
Feb 9, 2011
9 posts
mississauga
and yes theres an Oakridge in Mississauga. It's very small.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2011
9 posts
mississauga
sorry if I came off gruffy, I'm just so frustrated when I see this kind of unfairness go on.
May 9, 2010
27 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, God forbid those who are less fortunate (who you call ghetto kids), be given an opportunity to go to a good school :facepalm:

You're a grade A bigot...congratulations
[OP]
Feb 9, 2011
9 posts
mississauga
no, no, no, you're not getting it. ironbawls calls it a '### rundown ghetto community", presumably the ### are meant to be an expletive. now, do you get it? as if they're just some #### rundown ghetto community kids. as if they don't matter. my response uses this thing called sarcasm, repeating the word 'ghetto' in quotation marks over and over. Sorry if it went over your head. To simplify, this thread is about how selfish teachers are using poor immigrant children as a way to keep their jobs. All the school board cares about is keeping jobs at Oakridge while at the same time, these kids are getting ripped off because they're going to a crap school. These kids could be going to a great school within their own ward [they should be going to Thorn Lodge as the peel district school board says, but they don't, and no one says anything because the teachers get to keep their jobs and that's all that matters to them.] Thorn Lodge ranks at 8.5/10, which is awesome. but these kids don't go there and no one gives - to quote ironbawls- a ####
[OP]
Feb 9, 2011
9 posts
mississauga
and Oakridge is not a good school. Its the worst rated school in Mississauga. This is not a situation where 'ghetto' kids get to go to a good school. This is just another case of the system screwing over the 'ghetto' kids because they think that just because they're poor or immigrant kids, no one will care. this is why its wrong.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1275 upvotes
Sauga
soconfused wrote: and Oakridge is not a good school. Its the worst rated school in Mississauga.
Says who? Did you ever think that FI's rankings could be flawed? The school's Gr 6 students did quite well in the 2009-10 EQAO results:

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/mc6hdx.png[/IMG]

And 71% of the grade 6 students were "English Language Learners" (i.e., ESL). 67% were born outside Canada.

By comparison, here's Grade 6 for Thorn Lodge, where only 12% are ESL students:

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/2vhtz7c.png[/IMG]

Neither Fraser Institute's rankings nor these EQAO results show the whole picture, obviously.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2022 posts
40 upvotes
Ahh, Oakridge. I went to that school for Grade 1 like 18 years ago. Back then, us poor immigrant kids were bused in from the low rent housing complexes around Erin Mills/QEW, just down the road from Oakridge. I imagine it's a similar situation today.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1164 posts
120 upvotes
Markham
The Fraser Institute is not a credible source, they have a completely right wing agenda.

Here is their philosophy:

[QUOTE]Throughout our exploration of issues that affect citizens, we attempt to discuss complex economic subjects in a manner that can be easily understood by everyone.[/QUOTE]

The ranking your speaking of is solely based off of test results and is not taking a holistic approach at all. The school that ranked number one in Canada is a polygamous school in BC that isn't even authorized to grant diplomas.

[QUOTE]Bountiful Elementary-Secondary School in particular isn’t certified to issue official high school diplomas because of concerns about its curriculum, and the other school, Mormon Hills, was only certified for the first time this year.[/QUOTE]
[OP]
Feb 9, 2011
9 posts
mississauga
So, Rehan says FI scores could be flawed because EQAO testing shows above average scores, while Rapsreel says FI test is solely based off of test results – which is it? Is it based off test results or not? Sure, the FI are right wing cooks, ok, but their results must be based in something measurable, otherwise no one would give them the time of day, and their school rankings were published in most newspapers, so the majority of Canadians seem to think the FI tests bear some validity. I’m surprised no one in Mississauga has yet asked “why was this school ranked at the bottom?”, which yes, by the way, Ironbawls, does hurt much.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2011
9 posts
mississauga
JimG wrote: Ahh, Oakridge. I went to that school for Grade 1 like 18 years ago. Back then, us poor immigrant kids were bused in from the low rent housing complexes around Erin Mills/QEW, just down the road from Oakridge. I imagine it's a similar situation today.

So, what was up with that school? Do you have the inside track?
Dec 22, 2011
1 posts
TORONTO
From a Former Student...
I came across this post about Oakridge PS on Stonehouse crescent. I went there for elementary school starting in Kindergarten. I have fond memories of those days. I lived in the neighbourhood and walked there. Even when I was going there in the 1980's some families in the neighbourhood chose to send their kids to private school, although when I attended there was a fairly even split between neighbourhood kids (those that usually walked) and "bus kids" from a nearby apartment complex near Sheridan Mall (close to QEW and Erin Mills Parkway) known as "Roach Court" which is actually Roche Court. I had many classmates that did not have the same abundance as I did, sometimes that was reflected in their academic performance, but not necessarily - some of the brightest kids in my class were recent immigrants whose parents may not have spoken English at home! I'm a child of immigrants too. The issue wasn't just being new to Canada, it was economic too - some kids were being sent to school without a proper lunch and their parents were not providing the same enriching environment at home as most if not all the kids that came from the surrounding neighbourhood had.

When I attended, the school's population was integrated somewhat from the perspective of pupil's socioeconomic background and the teachers were quite good at that time. Looking back, you could see there was often a split between classrooms such that more of the bus kids would end up in a different class than the local kids - perhaps this was a result of academic ranking. I will never know.

I am saddened to hear that the school is not attended by a mix of students from different backgrounds and that it has a poor reputation today. I suppose enough local residents (from some of the most expensive homes in Mississauga) turned away from the school - that is a shame for everyone.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1275 upvotes
Sauga
This was a funny thread. :)
Oakridge's ranking in the latest Fraser Institute 'School Report Card' (for 2009-10) is much better -- 723 out of 2733 in Ontario, and among the top 50% in Mississauga. It looks like the poor ranking in previous years was probably due to a temporary drop in the Grade 3 EQAO results:

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2mqrfbb.png[/IMG]

...but the 2010-11 results are all above the school board and provincial averages, so the poor results were not normal. Maybe they had a big influx of immigrants that year or had a focus on something other than what the EQAO tests. In any case, the rank that the OP referred to is not an indication of a systematic problem at the school, considering what the ranking and EQAO results are now.
Jul 1, 2014
1 posts
Hampton, ON
I was one of the so called "ghetto kids". Started Oakridge in 1971. SoConfused needs to keep an eye out behind them, because if they have this impression about those who were not born into money, then their prejudice will show and karma will eventually catch up with them. I was born in Toronto and my Mum worked hard, for little money. 24/7 she worked her fingers to the bone. Just because we lived in the apartments did not make us ignorant. I lived there for my entire childhood. I went to Oakridge and then to Erindale. I took Chemical Engineering in post secondary and now own my own business. There were plenty of dumb rich kids and I think you are one of them. I suggest you concentrate on your own kids grades, because it might be hereditary.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3390 posts
404 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
MississaugaBrat wrote: I was one of the so called "ghetto kids". Started Oakridge in 1971. SoConfused needs to keep an eye out behind them, because if they have this impression about those who were not born into money, then their prejudice will show and karma will eventually catch up with them. I was born in Toronto and my Mum worked hard, for little money. 24/7 she worked her fingers to the bone. Just because we lived in the apartments did not make us ignorant. I lived there for my entire childhood. I went to Oakridge and then to Erindale. I took Chemical Engineering in post secondary and now own my own business. There were plenty of dumb rich kids and I think you are one of them. I suggest you concentrate on your own kids grades, because it might be hereditary.
:facepalm:
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16598 posts
2314 upvotes
soconfused wrote: It was created for a rich neighbourhood with Canadian born kids who don't need these resources, and as you put it, are probably not even using this school - theyre going to private schools. Meanwhile, all the 'ghetto' kids, as you call them, are getting the short end of the stick!
The parents of the rich kids have paid their taxes as well, and therefore have a right to school in their district.

As for the poor kids doing poorly, is it the school or the kids themselves?
Nov 21, 2016
1 posts
Honesty.
My 5 year old attends Oakridge anf its mostly immigrated families children who attend. I believe there is only 2 white children that attend that whole school.
I find it to be ran down, they havent had homework. Ever.
Im pulling my son out in the new year and putting him in cathlic school. Im not even cathlic. His father is.
Im from the 'ghetto' area as you all refer to. Yet im educated and born and raised in canada.
As a single mother i moved into the 'ghetto' neighborhood rent is obviously cheap.

Anyways, the school is a joke.