Food & Drink

Is Oat milk better than Almond milk now?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2021 6:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
11349 posts
9685 upvotes
Winnipeg

Is Oat milk better than Almond milk now?

I just made the switch to Oat milk from Almond in my Earl Grey Latte's. It tastes WAY better. There's more calories, which I need so is there any actual downside on drinking oat milk over almond?
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
31 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Just saw some at the grocery store less than 1litre for $7.99.

Never tried store bought before only once I bought silks almond milk. Compared to fhe home made it’s a lot thinner in taste.

Literally all it takes is a cup of rolled oates, filtered water and a blender and they want to charge $4-8 bucks for this?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
The general drawback of alternative milks over dairy milk is the low vitamin D3. You can get your daily RDA of vitamin D3 from 2-1/2 cups of dairy whereas you would have to drink more than 5 cups of dairy alternative to get the same levels, typically. Vitamin D3 deficiency is significant in Canada & can cause all sorts of weird aches & pains & fatigue. Consider taking a daily multivitamin to make up for the lack of D3 supplementation. Check the carton to see how what you are buying is fortified. Some formulations contain no added D3.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7178 posts
6349 upvotes
lecale wrote: The general drawback of alternative milks over dairy milk is the low vitamin D3. You can get your daily RDA of vitamin D3 from 2-1/2 cups of dairy whereas you would have to drink more than 5 cups of dairy alternative to get the same levels, typically. Vitamin D3 deficiency is significant in Canada & can cause all sorts of weird aches & pains & fatigue. Consider taking a daily multivitamin to make up for the lack of D3 supplementation. Check the carton to see how what you are buying is fortified. Some formulations contain no added D3.
who's drinking 2+ cups of dairy a day other than babies/kids? wow

aren't these alternatives fortified just like regular milk is ? kirkland and almond silk (or w/e) are fortified and comparable to the vitamins etc as regular milk when i looked at label
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: who's drinking 2+ cups of dairy a day other than babies/kids? wow

aren't these alternatives fortified just like regular milk is ? kirkland and almond silk (or w/e) are fortified and comparable to the vitamins etc as regular milk when i looked at label
No, Silk has less than 1/2 the D3 of dairy milk. I am not sure about Kirkland because I have never used it. It is not actually that hard to get 2-2/3 cups of dairy in coffee or tea if you add a lot & drink it through the day, or use other products made from milk like sour cream or yogurt. Once you get older it is better to use a supplement.
Mar 1, 2015
291 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
I for one am so glad oat milk trend has blown up. My 2 year old is allergic to nuts and dairy so the fact that fortified oat milk price is on par with almond is a god send
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10214 posts
4641 upvotes
Toronto
Most of these dairy alternatives have a minuscule amount of the labeled ingredient.
Almond milk may be 2% almonds?
How Many Almonds Are Actually In Your Almond Milk?
Mostly paying for fortified water, with some added chemicals and a scant amount of the actual ingredient you want.

I used to buy almond milk on occasion. Now I’ll just soak my own almonds overnight and blend them. Same should work for oats.
If you have a powerful energy blender it will make it smooth enough. Could also strain out the blended liquid and use the leftover pulp in other foods.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6571 posts
6043 upvotes
I tried oat milk for the time recently and also prefer it to almond milk - though I don't drink any 'milk' regularly and is mostly in smoothies.

Apparently the heavy almond milk consumption is causing enviro problems, particularly in California, a already water-scarce region https://sustainability.ucsf.edu/1.713
Mar 22, 2020
385 posts
250 upvotes
I drink both milk and alternatives. Oat milk IMHO tastes better, is more environmentally friendly and supports Canadian farmers better as compared to almond. I drink Earth’s Own.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10214 posts
4641 upvotes
Toronto
Oat milk looks very easy to make, oats are super cheap, and don’t need a very powerful blender. In fact it’s better not to over blend according to this recipe
How to make oat milk
I’d probably try adding some coconut milk to it right before serving to make it more creamy. Could work to blend in the coconut milk to the full recipe but it might separate after being stored in the fridge without all the chemical stabilizers
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6571 posts
6043 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: Oat milk looks very easy to make, oats are super cheap, and don’t need a very powerful blender. In fact it’s better not to over blend according to this recipe
How to make oat milk
I’d probably try adding some coconut milk to it right before serving to make it more creamy. Could work to blend in the coconut milk to the full recipe but it might separate after being stored in the fridge without all the chemical stabilizers
I'm going to try making my own- it's cheaper, better for the environment and probably healthier. Have you tried this recipe?

Almond milk is much more wasteful.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10214 posts
4641 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: I'm going to try making my own- it's cheaper, better for the environment and probably healthier. Have you tried this recipe?

Almond milk is much more wasteful.
Never tried it but it has some positive comments.
I usually tweak most recipes to suit my taste.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7193 posts
2227 upvotes
0 downvotes
we tried it, kids do not really like it too much, switching back to COW milk.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4766 posts
3860 upvotes
Almond and oat milk are ok, but I just stick to soy drink which I've had for well over a decade. I have it as a condiment on my hot oat groats cereal and in a cup of coffee. I personally hate the taste of cow's milk now.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11024 posts
2106 upvotes
I started off with Soy, then Almond and now prefer Oat, it just tastes WAY better.

Haven't had dairy milk in ages. Probably a good 15 years now.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7193 posts
2227 upvotes
0 downvotes
I cant get into Oat Milk anymore. its not for me.
Thanks for whoever suggested it tho.
Same with Soy milk, it was a fad back in the day.
Joke: what if Soy milk is just regular milk, introducing itself in Spanish?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7178 posts
6349 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: I cant get into Oat Milk anymore. its not for me.
Thanks for whoever suggested it tho.
Same with Soy milk, it was a fad back in the day.
Joke: what if Soy milk is just regular milk, introducing itself in Spanish?
i don't think soymilk is a fad? i've been drinking it since a kid and still like it. Hot Vitasoy! or make at home
Jan 27, 2021
175 posts
74 upvotes
dont most almond/oat/substitute milks have thickeners and perservatives?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9106 posts
2795 upvotes
per 1 cup

Earths own oat milk Vitamin D 45 %'

Silk soy milk Vitamin D 45 % as shown on loblaws https://www.loblaws.ca/soy-beverage-uns ... 0308979_EA

almond breeze almond Vitamin D 45 %

Nielsen true taste cow breast milk Vitamin D 45 %

does anyone see a pattern here? They all supplement it with exactly the same amount!

dont believe everything posted (dont believe guy partly linking to American sites)

Soy has more protein
Last edited by zoro69 on Sep 5th, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)