• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2022 8:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 28, 2019
94 posts
100 upvotes

OBD II Port Lock/Blocker

Has anyone successfully found an OBDII Port Lock or Blocker? Im coming from Toronto, and heard there are a lot of car thefts in Ottawa. The police recommended one of these to me but I cant find anything for less than $200.
32 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19475 posts
22615 upvotes
GTA
SuburbanSpider wrote: Has anyone successfully found an OBDII Port Lock or Blocker? Im coming from Toronto, and heard there are a lot of car thefts in Ottawa. The police recommended one of these to me but I cant find anything for less than $200.
That's not going to stop a thief. A hidden kill switch is a much better idea.
Do you drive a Toyota/Lexus?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Oct 28, 2019
94 posts
100 upvotes
engineered wrote: That's not going to stop a thief. A hidden kill switch is a much better idea.
Ideally, we will park in the garage, so the OBD2 lock will simply be for when we are out and about. It's not about stopping them, it's about slowing them enough that they move on to the next one, since the OBD is how they are stealing cars.

Do drive Toyota/Lexus - open to suggestions
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2229 posts
1755 upvotes
If you only want to slow them down, you can remove the lower console panel, unclip the OBD port and tuck it up your dash to hide for the trip.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19475 posts
22615 upvotes
GTA
SuburbanSpider wrote: Ideally, we will park in the garage, so the OBD2 lock will simply be for when we are out and about. It's not about stopping them, it's about slowing them enough that they move on to the next one, since the OBD is how they are stealing cars.

I would do as eclone says, hide the OBDII port, but if you want ultimate protection, a hidden, easy to use kill switch would be ideal.
Jan 26, 2006
225 posts
243 upvotes
GTA
Not OBD block, but a house in the neighbourhood has taken to booting one of their vehicles. At least when parked in their driveway. Yes, Toyota/Lexus SUV.

Their boot looks like a cheapo version from Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6126 posts
3940 upvotes
Toronto
My car is still under warranty so I didn't want to splice any wires for a kill switch, for now I got a dummy OBDII port, https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324017678755?ha ... Sw74xd-6sm

It's funny to watch a tech hook up a reader to the dummy port and nothing works/reads properly.
Last edited by BeaverLiquor on Aug 19th, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
[OP]
Oct 28, 2019
94 posts
100 upvotes
FrostedGlass wrote: Not OBD block, but a house in the neighbourhood has taken to booting one of their vehicles. At least when parked in their driveway. Yes, Toyota/Lexus SUV.

Their boot looks like a cheapo version from Amazon.
Not a bad idea, though, I assume they'd just tow at that rate if they can. My goal is more to park in driveway, and have an easy solution for like parking lots and stuff.
engineered wrote: I would do as eclone says, hide the OBDII port, but if you want ultimate protection, a hidden, easy to use kill switch would be ideal.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by kill switch?

Was already considering re-locating the OBD2 port and throwing a dummy in the normal spot. Though thats also not foolproof.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5792 posts
4931 upvotes
Oakville, ON
SuburbanSpider wrote: Has anyone successfully found an OBDII Port Lock or Blocker? Im coming from Toronto, and heard there are a lot of car thefts in Ottawa. The police recommended one of these to me but I cant find anything for less than $200.
SuburbanSpider wrote: Ideally, we will park in the garage, so the OBD2 lock will simply be for when we are out and about. It's not about stopping them, it's about slowing them enough that they move on to the next one, since the OBD is how they are stealing cars.

Using the OBD Port is one way to do it but the fastest and most popular way is the relay boost. Both are done at night in your driveway when it’s dark and everybody is sleeping. If you’re worried about theft during the day while you’re out and about so are the thieves. The OBD hack needs a few minutes and in broad daylight the thieves are prone to witnesses or the owner showing up at any moment. Also the relay hack isn’t going to work since your key is presumably with you and far away from the vehicle (as opposed to 30’ away by your front door). That said, parking all day at something like a GO Train parking lot at least gives the thieves some comfort that you’re at work for several hrs and unlikely to return and the parking lots are ghost towns during the day.

Lockdown Security has 2 products that will fit the the bill. If you’re set on just the OBD protection they have something for $180 and they also have a $500 system that defeats the relay attack.

https://lockdownsecuritycanada.ca/colle ... ft-systems

Not sure if the fancier one also defeats the OBD hack, but suggest you call these guys to find out more including installation costs.

Else, installing a kill switch is another consideration. Note - none of this is of any use if they just pull up in a tow truck to hook your vehicle and go. Literally, gone in 60 seconds….
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19475 posts
22615 upvotes
GTA
BeaverLiquor wrote: My car is still under warranty so I didn't want to splice any wires for a kill switch, for now I got a dummy OBDII port, https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324017678755?ha ... Sw74xd-6sm
It's funny to watch a tech hook up a reader to the dummy port and nothing works/reads properly.
That's not a bad idea, though it is possible to add a kill switch without splicing. Can also be something simple like unplugging a fuse or switch (can't start car if brake pedal switch isn't pressed).
SuburbanSpider wrote: Not a bad idea, though, I assume they'd just tow at that rate if they can. My goal is more to park in driveway, and have an easy solution for like parking lots and stuff.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by kill switch?
Was already considering re-locating the OBD2 port and throwing a dummy in the normal spot. Though thats also not foolproof.
Kill switch would disable the car, preventing it from starting. Could stop the fuel pump, or ignition, starter, or several other ways. Depends on the car.

For simplicity, pushing the port up, and replacing with a dummy port may be ideal for you. Can use this $8 port or whatever fits your car https://www.amazon.ca/DOLITY-16-Pins-So ... 079JR9HW1/
[OP]
Oct 28, 2019
94 posts
100 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: Using the OBD Port is one way to do it but the fastest and most popular way is the relay boost. Both are done at night in your driveway when it’s dark and everybody is sleeping. If you’re worried about theft during the day while you’re out and about so are the thieves. The OBD hack needs a few minutes and in broad daylight the thieves are prone to witnesses or the owner showing up at any moment. Also the relay hack isn’t going to work since your key is presumably with you and far away from the vehicle (as opposed to 30’ away by your front door). That said, parking all day at something like a GO Train parking lot at least gives the thieves some comfort that you’re at work for several hrs and unlikely to return and the parking lots are ghost towns during the day.

Lockdown Security has 2 products that will fit the the bill. If you’re set on just the OBD protection they have something for $180 and they also have a $500 system that defeats the relay attack.

https://lockdownsecuritycanada.ca/colle ... ft-systems

Not sure if the fancier one also defeats the OBD hack, but suggest you call these guys to find out more including installation costs.

Else, installing a kill switch is another consideration. Note - none of this is of any use if they just pull up in a tow truck to hook your vehicle and go. Literally, gone in 60 seconds….
Thanks! We've already for a faraday cage for the keys, so the relay option is shot unless they clone the signal when we are out and about with the keys. I'll look into the other options.
engineered wrote: That's not a bad idea, though it is possible to add a kill switch without splicing. Can also be something simple like unplugging a fuse or switch (can't start car if brake pedal switch isn't pressed).

Kill switch would disable the car, preventing it from starting. Could stop the fuel pump, or ignition, starter, or several other ways. Depends on the car.

For simplicity, pushing the port up, and replacing with a dummy port may be ideal for you. Can use this $8 port or whatever fits your car https://www.amazon.ca/DOLITY-16-Pins-So ... 079JR9HW1/
Yeah, the other thing many people recommend is a dummy fuse. Buy the same fuse, drill a hole in it, and keep the real one for when it goes to the mechanic.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1969 posts
2267 upvotes
engineered wrote: That's not going to stop a thief. A hidden kill switch is a much better idea.
Thats what I did, used a simple toggle switch, hidden under the drivers seat, that's wired into the control side of the fuel pump relay.
The thief can clone all the keys and fobs they want, but the cars not going to start. Only way to steal it is to tow it away.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1053 posts
827 upvotes
If I'm going to Ottawa and need to feel very very secure, I would do all of the following...

1) hide the port
2) remove battery
3) install kill switch (in case they have a spare battery)
4) use the "club"
5) keep key fobs in faraday bag

obviously keep no valuables inside and lock all the doors
Mar 16, 2007
489 posts
22 upvotes
Latest news: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/y ... d=msedgntp

Here is a product found on the web, this will only slow the thieves down and maybe go for another Toyota/Lexus.

https://frakkingcreations.com/best-obd- ... port-lock/

Steering wheel Club won't deter the serious thieves, they use aerosol A/C refringent on the lock to freeze it to very low temperature and smash it with a hammer, or hack saw through the steering wheel and slide the Club off.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
SuburbanSpider wrote:
Don't drive Toyota/Lexus.

Also LOL @ a "lock" on a plastic connector. Never heard of one and might not work that well. Might as well just pull the connector out of the trim panel and ziptie it up under the dash, and reassemble. Will make it a lot longer a process to get to it for the would-be thief.
Jun 21, 2009
910 posts
357 upvotes
EST
ES_Revenge wrote: Don't drive Toyota/Lexus.

Also LOL @ a "lock" on a plastic connector. Never heard of one and might not work that well. Might as well just pull the connector out of the trim panel and ziptie it up under the dash, and reassemble. Will make it a lot longer a process to get to it for the would-be thief.
It's not a physical lock. The "real" solutions (not the bs on Amazon) require splicing of the OBD2 wiring to install some encoder gizmo in-line. You have to use another device/app for said gizmo to decode the signal and allow OBD2 to function. It's a huge turn-off to me, personally. Back in the old day these types of alarms would always interfere with the factory immobilizer, cause parasitic drains and other odd electrical issues. Kill switch or nothing.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
Marx0r wrote: It's not a physical lock. The "real" solutions (not the bs on Amazon) require splicing of the OBD2 wiring to install some encoder gizmo in-line. You have to use another device/app for said gizmo to decode the signal and allow OBD2 to function. It's a huge turn-off to me, personally. Back in the old day these types of alarms would always interfere with the factory immobilizer, cause parasitic drains and other odd electrical issues.
Well yeah when you introduce things that are at a minimum adding some resistance in the wiring (how much depending on the skill of the installer/connections they use) that's not a good thing. Not to mention the fact that depending on what wires you're splicing you are possibly adding non-factory signals, surges/spikes, etc. to the data lines in the car. In a good situation it might cause an issue that is resolved by removing the device, in a bad one it could "fry" some very expensive factory modules. Even something that works fine initially can end up in problems when poor connections fail or when the device(s) you're connecting fail. Something made on the cheap in China may only last a couple years and then issues or damages mentioned could be the result. Most factory modules are quite robust and are designed to last the life of the vehicle (sure there are failures that happen here or there for various reasons, but for the most part it's not cheaply made crap).

Marx0r wrote: Kill switch or nothing.
I'd just go with nothing myself, particularly when it comes to advising people on what to do with their cars. Kill switches can be messed up by poor installation and what I like to call "electrical malfeasance", and could only result in the "breakdown" of the vehicle when the owner tries to legitimately use it, possibly stranding them somewhere in the middle of the night, on a road trip, etc. (Because, as Murphy tells us, these kind of failures are going to happen at the worst times lol.) Some dumb people that engage in the electrical malfeasance could even cause their car to burn down later on, because they didn't know what they were doing. Given the OP is asking what a kill switch is to begin with, I really hope they don't embark on this mission themselves lol.
Nov 24, 2007
572 posts
585 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I've used simple kill switches in old-school cars, cutting power to fuel pumps, batteries or both. I wouldn't do either of these in a modern car, I agree with @ES_Revenge that playing with modern electrical systems can be tricky. Even many shops are surprisingly ignorant about the work they do - back in the day I've had many electrical issues from poorly-installed alarm, immobilizer and autostart systems from "reputable" shops.

Without having seen one, I would lean towards a physical lock blocking access to the OBD port. I agree that the port is made of plastic, but if the would-be thief destroys it removing the lock they won't be able to use it to access the car either.
Nov 24, 2007
572 posts
585 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jigsaw wrote: If I'm going to Ottawa and need to feel very very secure, I would do all of the following...

1) hide the port
2) remove battery
3) install kill switch (in case they have a spare battery)
4) use the "club"
5) keep key fobs in faraday bag

obviously keep no valuables inside and lock all the doors
Holy sh!t, I had no idea that Ottawa was such a hotbed of crime. I guess I should buy some guns, body armour, and barricade myself and my possessions in my house Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes You may want to consider removing one front and one back wheel, one hub, a shock absorber, and the steering wheel. Maybe drain the oil too, that way if they defeat all the other systems they won't get too far. :facepalm:

I keep my fobs in a faraday pouch, and have cameras all over the place since some minor vandalism issues with a couple of kids on the street. If a pro wants to steal my cars, there's likely little I will be able to do to stop them.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1053 posts
827 upvotes
orange260z, I like your style!! :D