Personal Finance

Oblivious to December layoffs and looming recession I asked for a raise…

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2023 5:45 pm
Dec 1, 2017
150 posts
164 upvotes
muscan wrote: If you feel you deserve a raise because your salary is lower than what’s being given to your peers or those in the industry, there is no harm at all in asking for it. The worst case is your request is declined. The best case is you get it.

Just because the economic conditions are not ideal doesn’t mean all the usual stuff like promotions, raises, bonuses are out the door. We’re not in the great depression.
I would agree that most of the time there is no issue in asking. With that said, don't be tone deaf. It all depends of the financial health of the company. If you're losing money hand over fist than I would not expect a bonus (as the name implies, it's a bonus not an entitlement).

If you can show that you're over performing and can quantify that then I'd say go for it! The problem is some people think they deserve a raise because they've been there for xxx period of time.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11410 posts
5768 upvotes
Vaughan
modough wrote: Update: I was hoping my manager would forget but scheduled a review with me tomorrow at 11am MST. Wish me luck…
Ooohhh waiting to read about the outcome today. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8030 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: Ooohhh waiting to read about the outcome today. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Maybe Op's already been terminated. Lol
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2014
1317 posts
2383 upvotes
Calgary, AB
cgtlky wrote: Maybe Op's already been terminated. Lol
Terminated IRL Face Screaming In Fear
[OP]
Nov 5, 2021
69 posts
46 upvotes
Sorry I didn’t update. I got sick then boss got sick so meeting kept getting pushed. Very cold in AB! Got a 5% raise and it was retroactive to around mid Jan!