Deal Link:
Savings:
50%
Expiry:
September 29, 2021
Retailer:
Oculus
Hey VR Enthusiasts!

I didn’t see this posted yet, I’m a long time RFD lurker and also one Hell of a VR Enthusiast. (I’m sure there are more of us?)

Saw this coming across the Internets today - the deal seems quite HOT, especially if you’re looking for fantastic, addictive, immersive, futuristic, gaming and entertainment device. This would make for an AMAZING gift, even a pair between siblings. It will bring a goddamn tear to your Husband’s eye.

I’m in Ontario and I’ve bought all (ahem) several of my Oculus headsets DIRECT from Oculus.com. Fast, reliable shipping and I saved on the tax.

But wait - someone is going to say “Facebook will probably release a new headset on Oct 28th, at Facebook Connect.”
Yeah maybe. To me it sounds like a “Quest Pro” or something: More expensive lenses, overclocked XR2 chip, eye tracking, face tracking, TRULY adjustable IPD, etc. But undoubtedly, there will be a $$$ premium on this device. Yeah, I will covet it and desire it.

But for NOW, for most of us: The Oculus Quest 2 is GOOD TECH.

Stay Connected!

.The Doc
89 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1930 posts
1729 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Time to find someone to buy with.

Buy it guys it's worth it especially for PC VR. Fallout and Skyrim
Oct 7, 2017
919 posts
1542 upvotes
Pretty sure they've already said a Quest Pro isn't coming this year, at least. Quest 2 will still be good even if Quest Pro comes out, I'm sure. I still hesitate because I despise Facebook though.

Just saw they're $459 instead of $399 on Amazon? So is tax just included in the price then lol?
[OP]
Jan 5, 2005
99 posts
113 upvotes
Probably should put some Math in here:

As of Sept 21st:
Best Buy is selling the Oculus Quest 2 128G version for $399.99. So buying 2 of them: $799.98
Oculus.com is selling it for $459. But presumably you’re getting 2 of them WITH this deal for: $768

So maybe only warm? But if someone could confirm the NO TAX and FREE SHIPPING from Oculus (vs full tax-o-my-balls Best Buy) then it’s still OK?
[OP]
Jan 5, 2005
99 posts
113 upvotes
FYI - Yes, you CAN tether or even wirelessly connect the Oculus Quest 2 to your PC. If you’ve read this sentence and that absolutely excites you, then you ALSO know that the hardware specifications required to run a GOOD VR PC Experience (ie. without causing vomiting, nausea and excess diarrhea) are quite STEEP.

I’m running a 2070 Super with i7 and … gotta crank DOWN the graphics details on Half-Life Alyx. But Ohhhhh…. Don’t worry, it will still take your breath away.

Join me… all of you… in VR. Yeah - definitely much more entertaining with friends in VR, confirmed.

Stay Connected!

.The Doc
Last edited by doctorgeek on Sep 21st, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 7, 2017
919 posts
1542 upvotes
doctorgeek wrote: Probably should put some Math in here:

As of Sept 21st:
Best Buy is selling the Oculus Quest 2 128G version for $399.99. So buying 2 of them: $799.98
Oculus.com is selling it for $459. But presumably you’re getting 2 of them WITH this deal for: $768

So maybe only warm? But if someone could confirm the NO TAX and FREE SHIPPING from Oculus (vs full tax-o-my-balls Best Buy) then it’s still OK?
Yes seems like it's a decent deal with no tax. Free shipping isn't really anything special considering almost everyone offers it on items over $100.

In BC, it's 2x Quest 2s for $896 vs $768 direct from Oculus. Saving $128. If you REALLY need two, or can split with someone, then saving $64 a headset isn't a bad deal all-in-all. It's a little bit more than just saving the tax on an Amazon purchase of the 2 headsets.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1559 posts
1036 upvotes
Canada
doctorgeek wrote: Probably should put some Math in here:

As of Sept 21st:

Remember you need to add tax when buying from Best Buy. So total is actually $799.98+tax from Best Buy. If buying from Oculus.com, $459 includes tax and shipping already.
Feb 15, 2012
12 posts
9 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
I confirm there's no tax and it's free shipping on the oculus web store.
Nov 24, 2016
207 posts
191 upvotes
This is HOT! It's the first time that I know of that Oculus Quest 2 got a discount. Although Oculus Quest 2 Pro may come out this year, it's going to be a lot more expensive than the current non-pro version especially with this deal.

And it's rumored the Pro is going to add features like eye tracking and facial tracking that isn't necessary for most people that just wants a headset to play games. Most likely those features would be useful for virtual meetings and social interactions.
Last edited by NoMoneyNoProblems on Sep 21st, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 24, 2013
216 posts
144 upvotes
Burnaby
I have rift, seems like fb phased it out. Do I need oculus quest now just to play new games? My current library of vr games is an even split with some on steam and others on oculus. One is sticking out like a sore thumb on epicstore star wars squadron which also need an origin launcher. It's been a chore just keeping the games and launchers updated! Is the quest apps able to launch through steam? I like to probably stick with that as my vr home/launcher
[OP]
Jan 5, 2005
99 posts
113 upvotes
The Oculus Quest 2 has seen a lot of amazing updates over the past year, which has allowed a some really cool experiences.

Just released last week, here is one of the first “Multi Quest 2” games that requires a 10x10m space to play. Looks wild.

I would definitely throw in my support for a RFD Quest 2 Laser Tag BATTLE ROYALE. meetup LOL.

[OP]
Jan 5, 2005
99 posts
113 upvotes
digitalpixies wrote: I have rift, seems like fb phased it out. Do I need oculus quest now just to play new games? My current library of vr games is an even split with some on steam and others on oculus. One is sticking out like a sore thumb on epicstore star wars squadron which also need an origin launcher. It's been a chore just keeping the games and launchers updated! Is the quest apps able to launch through steam? I like to probably stick with that as my vr home/launcher
Yeah - sorry to hear about the RIFT - great product. But the writing is ON THE wall of evolution of VR (for now): Standalone VR is HOT. PC VR is Supreme but unfortunately too clunky to get into and maintain.

Good news is, if you’ll be able to play ALL of your existing RIFT games using the Quest 2: This is exactly what I do. Yes, you can play STEAM games as well from the Quest 2, when you tether it via a cable or wifi to your Windows PC.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1559 posts
1036 upvotes
Canada
And remember, the base Quest 2 now comes with 128GB instead of the original 64GB for the same price which makes this deal even better.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2005
99 posts
113 upvotes
NoMoneyNoProblems wrote: And it's rumored the Pro is going to add features like eye tracking and facial tracking that isn't necessary for most people that just wants a headset to play games. Most likely those features would be useful for virtual meetings and social interactions.
There is CONFIRMED references to a “Quest PRO” in the recent Oculus Quest Software Updates - so I think it’s close.
If they Quest PRO can provide any appreciable increase in FOV compared to the Quest 2, this would interest me. The “eye” tracking is… curious. . The facial tracking is… weird lol.

Stay Connected!

.The Doc
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3635 posts
4921 upvotes
If you are smart,you would not buy oculus quest 2 right now, especially two units.

Those that bought a quest 1 before quest 2 released got burned hard. Not worth repeating the same mistake again considering black Friday is one month after October announcement of quest pro. There's plenty of time to buy a discounted quest 2, especially during upcoming holidays.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10911 posts
8153 upvotes
Toronto
doctorgeek wrote: Yeah - sorry to hear about the RIFT - great product. But the writing is ON THE wall of evolution of VR (for now): Standalone VR is HOT. PC VR is Supreme but unfortunately too clunky to get into and maintain.

Good news is, if you’ll be able to play ALL of your existing RIFT games using the Quest 2: This is exactly what I do. Yes, you can play STEAM games as well from the Quest 2, when you tether it via a cable or wifi to your Windows PC.
Standalone capable or not, Quest 2 is the #1 PCVR headset by a wide margin. Not sure if more play it PC or standalone, but at least on rfd seems like a higher # want it for PCVR and are willing to put in the setup.
Images
  • Screenshot_2021-09-21-20-28-22-34_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Nov 24, 2016
207 posts
191 upvotes
Keep in mind Oculus Quest 1 or 2 never had a Black Friday sale in the past. There was just a free game included around December. Last year it was Asgard's Wrath, and Vader Immortal before that. I would go for $75 off instead if I could find another person to share the deal.
May 18, 2007
208 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
Might consider this, anyone else looking to split the discount? (still under consideration so, consider this disclaimer fair warning - #waffle#)
RFD needs a dark mode theme T_T my eyeeeeesssssss
Sep 27, 2007
484 posts
750 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
I have no interest in playing games. Is this overkill for watching movies ?
Last edited by hackett40 on Sep 21st, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 1, 2012
629 posts
310 upvotes
Montreal
Hey doc
What is your setup to play half life on Pc?
I have a quest 2 too.