301 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Oculus Quest - $549 (No Shipping or Tax) - Direct from Oculus Store

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
oculus.com
For those that want one of these without having to pay tax - Oculus has been re-stocking sporadically throughout the day. In stock as of this post.
103 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1426 posts
1158 upvotes
Gatineau
If only they'd release better controllers. Bigger and with much much better vibration motors.
Maybe I can build a house with all the boxes from stuff I've bought off RFD
Sep 8, 2011
5 posts
oh that's a good deal, I wish the subtotal was actually lower though, I have price protection on my credit card but it doesn't work on the total, only the subtotal which in this case hasn't changed :(
Dec 23, 2015
368 posts
238 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Heythumb88 wrote: If only they'd release better controllers. Bigger and with much much better vibration motors.
Then you're into $1300 Valve Index territory
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1426 posts
1158 upvotes
Gatineau
syntaxerror wrote: Then you're into $1300 Valve Index territory
Lol I never knew more plastic and better vibration motors cost upwards of 700$ to manufacture
Maybe I can build a house with all the boxes from stuff I've bought off RFD
Sep 21, 2019
773 posts
510 upvotes
I already got one from Amazon 2 weeks ago. Someone convince me to return it in the middle of a pandemic and get ~$70 back.
[OP]
May 8, 2015
301 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kagaho wrote: I already got one from Amazon 2 weeks ago. Someone convince me to return it in the middle of a pandemic and get ~$70 back.
What are your thoughts, is it returnable? I'm pretty impatient to receive mine since it has a estimated date of late July, could do what you did and just get one from amazon.

$70 gets you a few games, so if you can stomach waiting between getting it and your return, it's worth it.
Sep 21, 2019
773 posts
510 upvotes
I did return few things last week, canadapost was so full of people's returned packages the clerk told me to just leave it on the counter and she'll scan it eventually. I did with the knick-knacks I was returning but probably not a $600 toy.

Nah it's fine, keeping it. Already got top few native quest games.

Yes, Amazon, fast shipping to your hands, and easy returns.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5302 posts
2121 upvotes
Kitchener
Both versions of Quest as well as Rift S are back in stock.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Dec 2, 2014
269 posts
540 upvotes
Sejad wrote: Is Quest the one where you can’t play a Steam/Origin/etc games and can only play the Select few games they have by Oculus?
No, you can play all games by using a long USB C cable to your computer. (Or wirelessly with virtual desktop app). I downgraded from the Vive Pro to the Quest. Worth the $1000 savings every day of the week.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes
destruct0 wrote: No, you can play all games by using a long USB C cable to your computer. (Or wirelessly with virtual desktop app). I downgraded from the Vive Pro to the Quest. Worth the $1000 savings every day of the week.
So you can play any game on ANY platform, doesn't have to be a Oculus/Rift games?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
3101 posts
1242 upvotes
Thornhill
In your opinion, is this the time to jump into vr? Im considering it, but im a casual gamer to start, and im not seeing games that are must buys
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1592 posts
1074 upvotes
Canada
Sejad wrote: Is Quest the one where you can’t play a Steam/Origin/etc games and can only play the Select few games they have by Oculus?

Edit: Who does Oculus ship their stuff with?
It used to be the case Oculus Quest can only play native Oculus Quest games. But they've added a new feature a few months ago to allow you to use it as a PCVR headset by connecting the Quest to a PC through a USB cable. It can also stream games wirelessly in VR with the Virtual Desktop app.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2010
1197 posts
822 upvotes
The Great North
Bencherstyle wrote: In your opinion, is this the time to jump into vr? Im considering it, but im a casual gamer to start, and im not seeing games that are must buys
I'm in the same boat as you. I figure I'll wait till Quest 2 comes out to make a decision. Meanwhile I have a stack of PC games that I haven't even touched yet Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Dec 2, 2014
269 posts
540 upvotes
Sejad wrote:
So you can play any game on ANY platform, doesn't have to be a Oculus/Rift games?
Correct. I can pull from my steam library or viveport as long as your PC is good enough to play it. I decided the quest over keeping my Vive because display was a marginal difference and second being the portability.
Bencherstyle wrote: In your opinion, is this the time to jump into vr? Im considering it, but im a casual gamer to start, and im not seeing games that are must buys
Depends on what you like to play. I really enjoyed Half Life Alyx, if you're into casual zombie stuff then Arizona Sunshine, Beat Saber/Box VR for exercise, Project Cars for racing, Pavlov or Onward for FPS style games, lastly, for just a casual puzzle game, SUPERHOT. I'd recommend looking up those games to see if they're of any interest to you to know if it's worth getting for you yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1592 posts
1074 upvotes
Canada
Headsets have come a long way since the DK1 days. With the release of the Oculus Quest and Valve Index, I can finally recommend picking up a PCVR headset. The Quest is inexpensive and so easy to pick up and play I find myself using it a lot more than my PSVR. And I heard the Index is just amazing with the 144Hz screen and knuckles controllers if you want to spend that much. Just don't get a cheap 3DoF headset like the Oculus Go or the ones you slide your phone in, those to me are not real VR.

There are quite a few must buy or highly rated Quest/PCVR games. A few off the top of my head are:

Half Life: Alyx
Beat Saber
SuperHot VR
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
Skyrim VR
Resident Evil VII
Moss
Boneworks
Project Cars 2
Star Wars: Vader Immortal
Pistolwhip
No Mans Sky
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5694 posts
3900 upvotes
fujiapplelover wrote: It used to be the case Oculus Quest can only play native Oculus Quest games. But they've added a new feature a few months ago to allow you to use it as a PCVR headset by connecting the Quest to a PC through a USB cable. It can also stream games wirelessly in VR with the Virtual Desktop app.
Thanks for the explanation!
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes
My PC has a gti 1080 with a i7 cpu.

Should I be fine to play things on the VR?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5249 posts
1195 upvotes
Heythumb88 wrote: If only they'd release better controllers. Bigger and with much much better vibration motors.
We're going towards hand tracking, nobody wants bigger controllers (or bigger anything in VR for that matter).