Expired Hot Deals

[oculus.com] Oculus Quest back in stock 64G $549, 128G $699 regular price, no tax

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2020 10:00 am
[OP]
Jun 18, 2013
282 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto

Oculus Quest back in stock 64G $549, 128G $699 regular price, no tax

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
oculus.com
back in stock, not sure how many this batch has and how long it will last.
Last edited by FatSheep on Apr 21st, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
64 replies
Nov 24, 2016
199 posts
178 upvotes
This will not last long. Some people couldn't grab one before it went OOS in the last thread.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2008
1068 posts
137 upvotes
Jump on this if you want one. Awesome device and you save the taxes by buying straight from Oculus.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1457 posts
893 upvotes
Canada
Since there is no tax, this is equivalent to a sale price of around $485.84 before tax.

You save:
549.99x1.13 - 549 = $72.49 (if based in Ontario)
Oct 23, 2012
15 posts
22 upvotes
Winnipeg
Am I correct in assuming that this the stand-alone Quest is not adequate to play "AAA" VR titles (insofar that they exist) such as Half Life Alyx?

And what's the typical regular price that these go for?
Oct 1, 2009
120 posts
129 upvotes
It says 64GB OOS when I get to checkout :-(.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2013
282 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
laydoo wrote: Am I correct in assuming that this the stand-alone Quest is not adequate to play "AAA" VR titles (insofar that they exist) such as Half Life Alyx?

And what's the typical regular price that these go for?
This oculus quest is basically a 2018 flagship cellphone embedded in the VR headset, so you can expect the games to be in that quality. But the games offered on this headset is highly optimized,AND with oculus link or virtual desktop, you can run Alyx on it if you have a VR ready PC.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2013
282 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
enemyboss wrote: It says 64GB OOS when I get to checkout :-(.
Oh! Sorry to hear that, but I think they are now slowly ramping up the supply, I actually placed an order from bestbuy yesterday which I will return. And keep this one from oculus official store.
Apr 6, 2017
837 posts
1302 upvotes
Tried these. The technology isn’t there yet. My guess at least another two generations. Also the content is limited but growing daily.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9138 posts
5578 upvotes
Toronto
dgege wrote: Jump on this if you want one. Awesome device and you save the taxes by buying straight from Oculus.
Yup I've bought all my Oculus products directly. And before someone asks, they pay the taxes on their end it's not a lottery for who gets dinged.
Sep 30, 2010
79 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
tfong010 wrote: Tried these. The technology isn’t there yet. My guess at least another two generations. Also the content is limited but growing daily.
agreed. Moving arouund in games gives both my girlfriend and I headaches

The only good game i found on Quest is Eleven Table Tennis. It's a ping pong simulator! 99.99998% accurate. Try any move you do in Real life and I can probably replicate it in 11.

I've gotten so good at ping pong during quarantine

But unfortunately, i wouldn't reccomend it for any other games. Beat Sabre is kind of gimmicky but some people like it, meh.
May 8, 2015
201 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kursor17 wrote: Cheapest way to play Half Life Alyx tetherless if I'm standing very close to my PC that's hardwired to my router that's also close?
Reviews make it seem like the lag is still there and it makes gaming impossible.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1991 posts
1999 upvotes
jackpie wrote: agreed. Moving arouund in games gives both my girlfriend and I headaches

The only good game i found on Quest is Eleven Table Tennis. It's a ping pong simulator! 99.99998% accurate. Try any move you do in Real life and I can probably replicate it in 11.

I've gotten so good at ping pong during quarantine

But unfortunately, i wouldn't reccomend it for any other games. Beat Sabre is kind of gimmicky but some people like it, meh.
You'll get used to the movement after you get your VR legs. I used to get pretty bad motion sickness when I first started and could only play some games in 15min increments, but now I'm used it and don't have any issues. I agree though, for the most part the games are more tech demos, that said there are some standouts games that are absolutely worth your time and money IMO. While I agree that there's still tons of room for growth in the VR space, I don't regret jumping in now; still having tons of fun with the content thats available.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1457 posts
893 upvotes
Canada
Anarchaotic wrote: Reviews make it seem like the lag is still there and it makes gaming impossible.
I'm assuming you guys are talking about wireless streaming? The latest version of Virtual Desktop which is used for wireless streaming has improved latency to the point where it is very comparable to a wired connection. But wireless streaming quality is very dependent on your home wireless equipment and setup, so not everybody will have the same experience. For some people they report latency as low as 20ms and 30ms range which is very very good. And there's always the wired option using Oculus Link that is much more consistent in quality.
Banned
Dec 5, 2009
97 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
FatSheep wrote: This oculus quest is basically a 2018 flagship cellphone embedded in the VR headset, so you can expect the games to be in that quality. But the games offered on this headset is highly optimized,AND with oculus link or virtual desktop, you can run Alyx on it if you have a VR ready PC.
Totally second this, after much research. If you don't want to be hooked up via cable & endure front heavy lower pic quality, you may want to go Quest. I'm highly considering a Valve Index now because you want to future proof yourself a little bit if you are gonna pay for VR anyways. Quest is like nintendo switch and index/ rift s is like playstation/x-box imo.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1727 posts
679 upvotes
Oakville
rolo512 wrote: Totally second this, after much research. If you don't want to be hooked up via cable & endure front heavy lower pic quality, you may want to go Quest. I'm highly considering a Valve Index now because you want to future proof yourself a little bit if you are gonna pay for VR anyways. Quest is like nintendo switch and index/ rift s is like playstation/x-box imo.
I'm tempted to buy the Valve Index $1.4k along with 8 weeks ETA. But I hesitate that it's tethered and requires lighthouses given I'm moving houses in about a year. Valve's hardware endeavours have fizzled out in the past: Steam box, Steam Controller, Steam Link hardware. So
I'm not sure what the future holds for the Index if competitors can offer improved tetherless inside-out tracking from their own previous iterations. Also, don't know how hard MS and Sony will push VR for their next gen consoles to raise the tide of VR for the industry as a whole.
Sep 26, 2018
97 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Kursor17 wrote: Cheapest way to play Half Life Alyx tetherless if I'm standing very close to my PC that's hardwired to my router that's also close?
Yes, I think it's the only way to play it untethered. Need a 5Ghz router.