Hot Deals

[Oculus] Oculus Quest 2 pre-orders up - $459 64GB, $629 256GB, no tax, free shipping when ordering from Oculus

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 12:30 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5858 posts
1760 upvotes
Thornhill
Facebook has an algo that can see if your account is real or fake. A complaint by a rando may also trigger it. Then you will have to upload your real ID. I think this is a MASSIVE violation of privacy and I am astonished they are allowed to do that. And now, that their headsets require a real account, you can get banned and can be locked out of your device if you are caught. That is pathetic and I am puzzled why it is legal. Facebook has been violating privacy laws every year. All your activity will be tracked, whether it's a gaming or watching adult content. 1 leak, hack and that can all be public.

And I am surprised it's not being talked about and nobody seem to care that much. I wouldn't touch it even with a stick.
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1927 posts
1042 upvotes
Calgary
joshfindit wrote: Interesting twist: After the preorder just now I was able to create a non-fb oculus account, so I guess now I’m good til 2023?
Hard to say. If you add a new device they may prompt you to link with Facebook.
Jun 17, 2007
263 posts
216 upvotes
Terrace
VanillaDonut wrote: Yeah, I heard online services will be limited.
For this specific reason you should NOT buy any games on the Oculus store and instead use SteamVR. People will probably still be able to use the Rift without fb but I'm sure you'll be limited access to the oculus store without a fb login.

At least if you buy the games on the steam store you aren't locked into one brand of headset forever.
Apr 21, 2015
305 posts
324 upvotes
Calgary, AB
dazz wrote: Facebook has an algo that can see if your account is real or fake. A complaint by a rando may also trigger it. Then you will have to upload your real ID. I think this is a MASSIVE violation of privacy and I am astonished they are allowed to do that. And now, that their headsets require a real account, you can get banned and can be locked out of your device if you are caught. That is pathetic and I am puzzled why it is legal. Facebook has been violating privacy laws every year. All your activity will be tracked, whether it's a gaming or watching adult content. 1 leak, hack and that can all be public.

And I am surprised it's not being talked about and nobody seem to care that much. I wouldn't touch it even with a stick.
QFT.

I can't believe anyone would willing buy a Oculus after all of this.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6636 posts
3608 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Darko2 wrote: Wouldn’t suggest a fake account, mine got banned a while ago and the only way to get it back was to send a drivers lisence with the same name and person as the account
I would be EXTREMELY worried about providing that much personal data.

Falling into the wrong hands, the info on a drivers license is enough for someone to assume your identity (Identity Theft).
Full birth-name, address, birth-date and DL # is all it takes for someone to start applying for credit in your name, plus re-direct your mail (Credit Cards, statements, etc.)
Before you may find out, the damage is done.

Facebook is one of the LAST companies I would trust with that info!

I used to be a huge endorser of their VR offerings, but no longer am due to this shift in policy of future mandatory FB account merging.

Funny how they're giving a 2yr window for Oculus account users to switch over....as if they're buying some time in order to test the waters.

The fact that they are even attempting to to do it is already insulting enough....trust lost.....will look elsewhere for future VR HMD upgrades.

Hellllllllooooooooooo HP Reverb G2, here I come!!!!! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Jan 3, 2017
108 posts
145 upvotes
If you buy the link cable could you play Half-Life Alyx on this thing?
Jan 5, 2007
308 posts
141 upvotes
Sorry, had to downvote the deal after reading the Ars Technica review but voted up your next post to even things out. They'll have to pay me to use this with the amount of personal data they would be getting. I am curious how usage compares to the HTC Vive I've tried at the VR arcade pre-covid. Unfortunately kids take up all my reality these days. No time for virtual. But if I did have time, I would spend more to not send Facebook even more data.
Jul 10, 2019
160 posts
124 upvotes
iliketurtles wrote: There's a whole lot of fear mongering going on in this thread. You know people will buy this for people as a gift right? How would locking a device to the person who purchased it any make sense?

Do you have any proof that they are doing this before making these claims?
i never said anything about locking device - i said that you cannot change your real name that will be tied to your oculus account, which is created based on the name you provide for shipping.

proof where people couldn't change their oculus account's real name - https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+ ... 2&bih=1037
Last edited by h8g7f6j9k0 on Sep 17th, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
only price errors are true deals - such is the philosophy of RFD.
Jul 10, 2019
160 posts
124 upvotes
proof where you can't change/disconnect your real name from your oculus account after purchasing : https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... lus_store/
Most of you probably don’t know this, but there is no way to change your ‘Real Name’ in Oculus’ system. This may seem like not that big of a deal, but it kind of is. As a transgender person who’s recently changed her name, I’ve been steadily going through everything I’m connected to via my name, and changing it. Oculus is the first service I’ve come to where you are not allowed to change your name at all. Everywhere else allows it, and for obvious reasons, it’s just common sense. I can understand not allowing us to change our username, but real names are flexible in real life, and therefore should be flexible in Oculus’ systems. They need to fix this.

Where this gets really bad, though, is what Oculus recommend doing if you actually want to change your name. They recommend to cancel your account and make a new one.
Jul 10, 2019
160 posts
124 upvotes
xmat128x wrote: If you buy the link cable could you play Half-Life Alyx on this thing?
yes, you can, but you should check if your PC can handle VR first. Don't expect a good experience with a crappy computer - it can actually make you nauseous.
Jul 10, 2019
160 posts
124 upvotes
PharaohsVizier wrote: People really gotta stop peddling that as an acceptable solution. The fact that Facebook is forcing itself on Oculus owners is not a good thing.
not just owners but also developers. If i want to develop VR games, I have to create a Facebook account. No thanks.

Thread Information

There are currently 19 users viewing this thread. (7 members and 12 guests)

Angultra, seafish, Thundercloud, PharaohsVizier, og147, Helmholtz, stanace