Hot Deals

[Oculus] Oculus Quest 2 pre-orders up - $459 64GB, $629 256GB, no tax, free shipping when ordering from Oculus

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 9:52 am
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2840 posts
3172 upvotes
i got the oculus quest but it wont be my main device i got the basic one with 64gb no accessories . the visuals of the hp reverb g2 will be so awesome.
Sep 14, 2010
515 posts
171 upvotes
Pre-ordered, day one for me. Reviews are great, this is quite an insane set for 399$. Ive got another facebook account with a picture and a few friends so i dont care about that facebook crap. It's all about oculus pc link for me
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1444 posts
846 upvotes
Vancouver
Malakhov wrote: Ive got another facebook account with a picture and a few friends so i dont care about that facebook crap.
Just going to keep pointing out that the account might be banned, and this doesn't really stop the tracking. You really think they just look at your listed name to figure out who you are?
Sep 14, 2010
515 posts
171 upvotes
PharaohsVizier wrote: Just going to keep pointing out that the account might be banned, and this doesn't really stop the tracking. You really think they just look at your listed name to figure out who you are?
Might, might not. Been using that 2nd account for years. Dont care about tracking, already being tracked by facebook app and all this android nonsense I have on my phone.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2840 posts
3172 upvotes
Malakhov wrote: Pre-ordered, day one for me. Reviews are great, this is quite an insane set for 399$. Ive got another facebook account with a picture and a few friends so i dont care about that facebook crap. It's all about oculus pc link for me
yes but you might be locked into this facebook log in to use pc vr too. that is total bs, plus you're not getting that full link either without compromises. the fov will be terrible. i am sure it will be fun for games like beat saber but not AAA pc games. Also the sweet spot might not be great and the resolution should already be better than what they offer late in the game.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1086 posts
2185 upvotes
Malakhov wrote: Might, might not. Been using that 2nd account for years. Dont care about tracking, already being tracked by facebook app and all this android nonsense I have on my phone.
It isn't so much about the intrusive tracking as it is about the control they are looking with this new device. Facebook now had an expectation of monetizing the Quest hardware after purchase.
Forcing devs to upload their releases to Facebook servers, even if they aren't allowed to sell them on the official store is some 1984 bullshit right there. What exactly happens if they suddenly release a "validation" requirement in order for you to play PC link games?
If you care about VR devs (hell, even if you just pirate all of your games) you should understand that by forcing a Facebook server requirement, most indie devs won't be able to monetize their content anywhere.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2840 posts
3172 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: It isn't so much about the intrusive tracking as it is about the control they are looking with this new device. Facebook now had an expectation of monetizing the Quest hardware after purchase.
Forcing devs to upload their releases to Facebook servers, even if they aren't allowed to sell them on the official store is some 1984 bullshit right there. What exactly happens if they suddenly release a "validation" requirement in order for you to play PC link games?
If you care about VR devs (hell, even if you just pirate all of your games) you should understand that by forcing a Facebook server requirement, most indie devs won't be able to monetize their content anywhere.
there will always be competition against oculus. no need to worry about pcvr relax.
Nov 2, 2015
31 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Kevin8se7en wrote: Just sold my Oculus Quest 1 for $500 a few days ago. I'd be pissed if I bought it and saw this. haha
Very jealous. I'm trying to sell my CV1 currently and it is proving to be rather difficult Slightly Frowning Face
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1500 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
MikoWilson wrote: It isn't so much about the intrusive tracking as it is about the control they are looking with this new device. Facebook now had an expectation of monetizing the Quest hardware after purchase.
It sucks, because indie scene is where the true art and freedom happen, they are gonna try to corporate the thing just like they did with AAA titles.
Dec 25, 2004
809 posts
142 upvotes
Tracking exists everywhere, I’m not sure why this is the line people are drawing. Are we concerned that skynet is about to take over? Your neighbors, parents, kids already know you masterbate, you’re worried Facebook may be recording it? Seriously how does this play out for those warning not to buy? You’re here, online, communicating now... doesn’t seem consistent with who you are. I get the hermit won’t buy, but that person is consistent at least, they’ve made life choices.
Jan 1, 2013
89 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario
wildzero wrote: I've owned both the touch and now the quest, and the Oculus experience has only gone downhill over time. Looking forward to some better competition entering this space, as I never want to buy another Facebook device again.
Steam VR but their pricing sucks
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1086 posts
2185 upvotes
Facebook Oculus tracking is an entirely new level of surveillance. Facebook itself is a platform that you can choose to use. Locking down an entire MEDIUM of content is an entirely different level.

Imagine if the BluRay consortium announced that every BluRay that exists will track everything you do, and say, while watching a BluRay. You'd imagine a lot of push-back against that idea. Like it or not, Facebook owns VR right now, as a medium. We are now allowing them to structurally control it, forcing people onto their platform.
It's a nightmare scenario for digital freedom.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1086 posts
2185 upvotes
waven101 wrote: there will always be competition against oculus. no need to worry about pcvr relax.
If Oculus owns 70% of market share, and devs can't monetize their content on 70% of devices; then Oculus is essentially owning the mobile VR space, and determining what kinds of experiences can be made.
Why the hell would we give Facebook, of all companies, that right?

It isn't alarmist to suggest that one of the worst companies in the world shouldn't control the next evolution of how we communicate.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2255 posts
747 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: Facebook Oculus tracking is an entirely new level of surveillance. Facebook itself is a platform that you can choose to use. Locking down an entire MEDIUM of content is an entirely different level.

Imagine if the BluRay consortium announced that every BluRay that exists will track everything you do, and say, while watching a BluRay. You'd imagine a lot of push-back against that idea. Like it or not, Facebook owns VR right now, as a medium. We are now allowing them to structurally control it, forcing people onto their platform.
It's a nightmare scenario for digital freedom.
Can you imagine if your phone had a camera too? And a microphone OMG what if other people's phones were recording us all the time
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1086 posts
2185 upvotes
Loomy wrote: Can you imagine if your phone had a camera too? And a microphone OMG what if other people's phones were recording us all the time
Your analogy doesn't make any sense. There are literally thousands of phone producers, and multi open-source cellphone OSs. There is a real choice there.
Facebook owns 60% of the VR market share; and will pick and choose which apps/games live or die on it's platform.

I'm glad that you're happy to be a boot-licker to a comically evil corporation, but some people would like to live in a free society. I mean, imagine cheer-leading . . .FACEBOOK, lol. Major yikes there dog.