Hot Deals

[Oculus] Oculus Quest 2 pre-orders up - $459 64GB, $629 256GB, no tax, free shipping when ordering from Oculus

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2020 12:37 pm
Jul 16, 2010
48 posts
27 upvotes
Loomy wrote: Can you imagine if your phone had a camera too? And a microphone OMG what if other people's phones were recording us all the time
Exactly. Google's tracking is a hundred times worse. I looked up what Google had on me and they had search history, web history, location data from the moment I made an account.
Jan 9, 2011
25 posts
18 upvotes
Tri-City Area
MikoWilson wrote: Yeah. VR developer here. I'd HIGHLY advise you not pick up a Quest 2. They are locking down sideloading something harsh; and quite literally tracking everything that you do on that device.
I'm really surprised people are entertaining this device at all.
Would it be possible for you to share your source? This is my first time hearing about this and sounds very worrying if its true
Last edited by Craznn on Sep 22nd, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 25, 2004
810 posts
142 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: Facebook Oculus tracking is an entirely new level of surveillance. Facebook itself is a platform that you can choose to use. Locking down an entire MEDIUM of content is an entirely different level.

Imagine if the BluRay consortium announced that every BluRay that exists will track everything you do, and say, while watching a BluRay. You'd imagine a lot of push-back against that idea. Like it or not, Facebook owns VR right now, as a medium. We are now allowing them to structurally control it, forcing people onto their platform.
It's a nightmare scenario for digital freedom.
Nightmare scenario... ummm, no it isn’t. Dude you need to chill out. The whole world isn’t a conspiracy. FB for sure is a selfish enterprise, like 99% of business! Digital freedom? Oh brother... ok I’m out.
Jan 9, 2011
25 posts
18 upvotes
Tri-City Area
Thanks! I took a brief look though and it mentions mostly the issues related to requiring a Facebook logon. I wasn't able to find anywhere about them removing the sideloading capabilities other than this one quote
For older, existing Oculus VR products, this mandated switch from Oculus ID to Facebook accounts will begin January 1, 2023—and older devices will still function in an "offline" capacity (and will support tweaks like side-loaded, non-Oculus apps). What's more, buyers of "new" Oculus hardware—including sleeker, higher-performing VR headsets—won't have those old Oculus IDs as an option
Am I missing something?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5895 posts
378 upvotes
Calgary
Craznn wrote: Thanks! I took a brief look though and it mentions mostly the issues related to requiring a Facebook logon. I wasn't able to find anywhere about them removing the sideloading capabilities other than this one quote

Am I missing something?
Here is more info on some new sideloading changes..

https://venturebeat.com/2020/09/12/face ... deloading/

@MikoWilson Hey I'm a VR Dev too. What are your plans now that oculus is making these dealbreaking changes? I've mostly been doing dev on the PC side but have worked on a few mobile projects.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1090 posts
2189 upvotes
markj wrote: Here is more info on some new sideloading changes..

https://venturebeat.com/2020/09/12/face ... deloading/

@MikoWilson Hey I'm a VR Dev too. What are your plans now that oculus is making these dealbreaking changes? I've mostly been doing dev on the PC side but have worked on a few mobile projects.
Honestly, we don't have an answer yet. We're heavily considering cancelling Oculus support for our project considering they are nixing the Rift line altogether; and will never allow our projects on their servers; and frankly, we wouldn't ask our fans to sign up for Facebook.
I guess going Index/Vive/WMR devices, and maaaaybe make a 2D port to make some real revenue.

Seriously. **** Facebook. They specifically said that they would never pull this shit. People need to stop sticking by such a crap company.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1090 posts
2189 upvotes
Toronto Gamblers wrote: Nightmare scenario... ummm, no it isn’t. Dude you need to chill out. The whole world isn’t a conspiracy. FB for sure is a selfish enterprise, like 99% of business! Digital freedom? Oh brother... ok I’m out.
You are out ... out of your depth. This isn't a "conspiracy" it's just open corruption and abuse of position. We're not talking about QAnon; Facebook has literally announced their new "real name" account stipulations. You just are too daft to understand the real world ramifications of it.
Dec 25, 2004
810 posts
142 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: You are out ... out of your depth. This isn't a "conspiracy" it's just open corruption and abuse of position. We're not talking about QAnon; Facebook has literally announced their new "real name" account stipulations. You just are too daft to understand the real world ramifications of it.
Said by someone with a selfish POV. I have no horse in this race... park your bias. You sure sound like a victim, but hey victims do well, right?
Dec 5, 2005
303 posts
30 upvotes
Saskatoon
MikoWilson wrote: Honestly, we don't have an answer yet. We're heavily considering cancelling Oculus support for our project considering they are nixing the Rift line altogether; and will never allow our projects on their servers; and frankly, we wouldn't ask our fans to sign up for Facebook.
I guess going Index/Vive/WMR devices, and maaaaybe make a 2D port to make some real revenue.

Seriously. **** Facebook. They specifically said that they would never pull this shit. People need to stop sticking by such a crap company.
What sort of things are you developing that Facebook would never allow on their servers? Where do you think the line will be drawn for content not even on the official store? I would expect the allowable content to be a wide net since this stuff doesn't even need to be searchable on the store. Why would they prevent things that are not illegal? Unless you are competing directly with their own software.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1090 posts
2189 upvotes
There are thousands of legitimate experiences that Oculus will never host. ie. anything that has a competing interest with their software. They have already tried their best to kill Big Screen. Imagine if Big Screen, or any other developer who makes a VR product close to one of their own tries to get their experience posted on their servers -- it's not happening.
Last edited by MikoWilson on Sep 22nd, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1090 posts
2189 upvotes
Toronto Gamblers wrote: Said by someone with a selfish POV. I have no horse in this race... park your bias. You sure sound like a victim, but hey victims do well, right?
You have a horse in this race, you own a Quest. You don't want to discover that you chose a hardware device that VR devs are abandoning -- that's you're bias. MAYBE one day you'll wake up to the fact that Facebook is an incredibly destructive force on our society.
"Victims do well, right?" Oh god, let me guess, you're one of those chronically ANTI-SJW who thinks your freedom is encroached upon whenever someone warns others that something is wrong? Grow up buddy.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2859 posts
3186 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: If Oculus owns 70% of market share, and devs can't monetize their content on 70% of devices; then Oculus is essentially owning the mobile VR space, and determining what kinds of experiences can be made.
Why the hell would we give Facebook, of all companies, that right?

It isn't alarmist to suggest that one of the worst companies in the world shouldn't control the next evolution of how we communicate.
right and if there is money to be made you can bet that this facebook isnt going to be the only player in this evolving technology, which is still in infancy can develop if people can be convinced that you dont need a 3000.00 computer to play with but maybe a 500.00 computer and a 600.00 laptop and that the social media can be made that you can reach your friends easily on that platform easily. HP has their own headsets, i beleive that samsung is coming out with a new headset and you never know about asus, razer and friends if something is built from the ground up for pc players then you have nothing to worry about. you got to go and build it but there would be no competition as there is plenty of windows pc.
its not the same as saying well i am paying already 80.00 for a cell phone and i can only use android or ios here. oculus is alone and has nothing else than to push their product on the social media they built, it is growing but they can easily go down if someone built a something similar on the pc, myself i found it a bit complicated on steam vr, its just not there yet..
also vr itself is just not there yet to throw marketing and ads in the system. that would kill their ecosystem. you'll see.
dont forget also that microsoft is pushing for the reverb g2 to be on the msfs. you will never get that experience on the quest.
Dec 25, 2004
810 posts
142 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: You have a horse in this race, you own a Quest. You don't want to discover that you chose a hardware device that VR devs are abandoning -- that's you're bias. MAYBE one day you'll wake up to the fact that Facebook is an incredibly destructive force on our society.
"Victims do well, right?" Oh god, let me guess, you're one of those chronically ANTI-SJW who thinks your freedom is encroached upon whenever someone warns others that something is wrong? Grow up buddy.
I have a horse in the race because my wife bought me a quest?? Lol ok, I apparently have a horse. If it’s not Facebook winning it’s someone else, welcome to reality. Would I personally enjoy a world with no WM and more moms and pops... yep I think so, but evidently I’m in the minority or Walmart wouldn’t be what it is so welcome to reality. I’d also enjoy a world with no VR or Facebook. You seem angry. It doesn’t sound like you’re warning, you sound pretty judgemental, you sound bitter that you’re losing. Find a way to win or play a different game... or sulk in the corner.

Look at that all your posts are bitter, I had a feeling so I took a peek, so you’re a hater, got it. Plenty of things to hate in the world, but that’s a choice. Night sunshine xo
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1090 posts
2189 upvotes
Toronto Gamblers wrote: You sound bitter that you’re losing. Find a way to win or play a different game... or sulk in the corner.
Yeah. Pointing out an objective loss for the gaming dev community isn't sulking in the corner -- it's spreading the message. I get that you probably haven't stood up for anything in your entire life -- but some people have morals and ethics.
Good night cutie pie. I guess.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Driftwood