Hot Deals

[Oculus] Oculus Quest 2 pre-orders up - $459 64GB, $629 256GB, no tax, free shipping when ordering from Oculus

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 12:32 am
Aug 17, 2007
137 posts
73 upvotes
DavewuPC wrote: /could we just all say that Quest 1 is BETTER than Quest 2 in almost every way except the chipset and the resolution?
The Quest 2 is also $100 USD cheaper at launch than the Quest was. I never had a Quest so I can't say but I think the Quest 2 has lowered the bar for entry and we'll see a lot more incentive to develop quality VR experiences now that it's in the hands of more and more people and not just enthusiasts with gaming rigs and PSVR users.
Aug 25, 2018
110 posts
48 upvotes
Montreal
dpvu wrote: The Quest 2 is also $100 USD cheaper at launch than the Quest was. I never had a Quest so I can't say but I think the Quest 2 has lowered the bar for entry and we'll see a lot more incentive to develop quality VR experiences now that it's in the hands of more and more people and not just enthusiasts with gaming rigs and PSVR users.
Even by lowering the price, the incentive for VR devs isn’t there.. Mainly because making the world “interactive” is very expensive and extremely time consuming.. Looking at Half Life Alyx, I’d say that game had a development time for at least 4-5 year minimum... For many smaller studios, that kind of time is just not financially possible.. I AM SURE the upcoming Ubisoft’s Assasin Creed VR and Splinter Cell VR Games are going to be COMPLETE CRAP GARBAGE !!!

Ubisoft is oreads rushing development cycles for their actual AAA PC/console releases, there VR Game will be half assed at BEST, and most likely quart assed imo.. I don’t know anyone at Ubi Montreal that works on the VR titles, but I can say for a fact that some of Ubi’s own artists doesn’t like their games, like Far Cry 4/New Dawn and Watch Dogs 2 lol... I am not keeping my hopes up.

Even with a larger player base, you need a dev that know how to make VR games, and the time/care and finances to make a decent experience.
At this point, many INDIE STUDIOS make better VR games than AAA Studios... We will see if that EA Respawns Medal of Honor VR game is any good, Coming out December 11th 2020... And was promised to be a AAA experience with MULTIPLYER AND INGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN

ALSO, the consumer VR space had barely ANY innovation in the past 4 years... From the Oculus CV1/Vive to the current Quest 2/HP Reverb/Pimax 8K X, the only thing they’ve improved is the resolution.. The FOV is barely improved, or improved (in the case of Pimax) but with severe distortion..

Also the promised Varifocal lenses announced in 2017 still has yet to be seen in an actual product... And where the the face/eye/mouth/body tracking in mainstream VR??? I mean the consumers can already DIY a solution, but no mainstream VR makers want to take a pledge to make something similar...

If Apple could do facial capture with FaceID on the mainstream iPhones (basically a mini Xbox Kinect IR camera array), why can’t the behemoth Facebook/HP/Valve/etc do something similar?? A simple Infrared camera array pointing at the user’s lower face is enough for mouth tracking, and a mini Tobin eyetracker for eyes and emotional tracking.... It is not hard, but no one is doing it..

For hand tracking, we’ve had the Leap Motion for almost a decade now, and it took Facebook 9 years to get IR Camera based tracking onto the Quest1/2, and it is still not very good with high latency, and is in a condition to me like ALPHA...
Aug 25, 2018
110 posts
48 upvotes
Montreal
I am not enthusiastic about VR at the moment, more excited in the AR space than VR tbh. At least AR is more useful outside of just gaming. All markets AR/VR/X-RAY are very slow... There is a reason for that. the development time for actually innovative VR hardware will take MANY MANY YEARS, hence that is why the Oculus Quest 2 wasn’t big of an upgrade as it was only a 1.5 year after the Quest 1 upgrade..

The quest 1 however took Facebook like almost 2 year to develop, and that is after they’ve spend a year or two’s time making the Oculus GO and the 3 years of R&D of the Oculus/Samsung Gear VR (gen1 and gen2)..

VERY SLOW in terms of improvement to technology and innovation.. why do you think many of the VR principal engineers in our times has left the industry full time in pursuit of something else? (Suck as Luckey Palmer, John Carmack etc). Because the VR market isn’t moving as fast as they would have liked or hoped.

John Carmack resigned from Oculus full time last year to focus on Artificial Intelligence.. AI is moving at a speed that we’ve never seen before.. And These guys are going into markets that are exciting, innovative, and MAKES MONEY...

Facebook is literally at a point where they have not put more resources into the Oculus development fund to make innovative products i the short term at least. But rather selling headsets as many as they can at least, and recoup their investment on their acquisition of Oculus VR for the multi-billion deal they did with Palmer Luckey.

If they make more than investment in the future, I can see they would spend more and have quicker turnaround in more innovative headsets, but as of now it is not happening.

there is a reason why their expectations for the Quest 1 was low, and hence they made less headset.. Because they never expected VR adoption by the masses in the first place, hence solidifying that they are only in it to recoup their investment, not to make a industry turnaround product... It just happen to be at the time of Quest 1’s release, a comparable consumer product was not on the market, and the standalone VR market was still niche, based on sales data of the Oculus Go.
Aug 20, 2018
241 posts
250 upvotes
Mine arrived. Brief - EDIT, LONG - review: good screen quality, not very comfortable compared to Index or even Vive with or without DAS, in part due to my glasses. Feels like I'd ideally stack two or even three of the single provided glasses spacer on top of each other to get better comfort.

edit: I should mention, unlike Vive, HP first-gen WMR, and to a lesser extent Index, Quest 2 doesn't end up putting a ton of weight on the bridge of my nose, there's ample room for my slightly above-average nose size. Quest 2 still annoys me a little by putting a little pressure on my nostrils, but this is still a big improvement. Overall comfort is still mediocre compared to Index. I'd just like some firmer/thicker foam! Everyone else seems to want the thinnest foam possible but I can already see the edges of the screen, give me a couple more millimeters of foam so it's comfortable!

There's lens protectors on Amazon with a silicone ring that creates a space between the lenses and your glasses. Seemed like a great idea but in practice it just put all the weight of the headset on my glasses, which wasn't comfortable at all. Sending mine back. A shame, it's a good idea. Might work for other face shapes.

I wouldn't worry too much about scratching the lenses, you can't see scratches that close to your eye really. I had a Vive and genuinely didn't realize I'd scratched the lenses until the Kijiji buyer lost his shit over it, but I let him try it out and he agreed you couldn't see them.

More thought has clearly been put into UX stuff than SteamVR, though it's also much more limiting. Can't get the Oculus software to install on my laptop so I haven't tried any PC VR stuff on it yet, I'll probably hook it up to my desktop tomorrow. WMR worked fine on my laptop.

edit: It wasn't 'difficult' but wow there were a lot of steps to get virtual desktop working on my desktop. Seems like maybe it doesn't like multi-monitor setups or night mode. And it kept resetting my desktop resolution to 1080p instead of 1440p. At the end I did successfully stream a game on my AC router. Looked quite good. Link isn't as complicated but labeling it beta is still appropriate. Seems like VR always falls down where it comes to interfacing with Windows.

There's a free video viewer you can download but it doesn't handle subtitles well. You have to pay for the good one on the store, and I didn't want to spend any money on the store until a few months had passed because I'm spooked by the Facebook stuff. Anyway, as a TV/movie/anime viewer it's excellent once you have the right player. Like sitting in a theater. Much better than any other mobile VR. Limited by annoyances like not being able to set default audio/subtitle languages and other elementary stuff a video player should be capable of from the word go. Living alone, I might buy a Quest 2 before I'd buy a TV. edit: the 'good' player I'm talking about has a sand-colored icon with a play symbol, I forget its name. It's the top result for video player I think.

The built-in speakers are much better than I expected. They're comparable to bone conduction headphones in sound quality. Not very good compared to actual headphones but maybe that's not the most important thing for a product focused on convenience.

Also picked up Pistol Whip, one of my favorite PCVR games. It's priced very fairly and it's a hell of a game. Better than Beat Saber IMO, and if you didn't tell me it was running on a 5 watt chip I would assume it was running on a PC because the art style compliments the limited power very well. It should be your first purchase. The developer is also Canadian and hasn't sold out to Facebook like Beat Saber's dev did. The game's so good I can guarantee they got an offer like that. Fun to play even sitting down. Great exercise! I'm glad Cloudhead finally got a very successful game out because they've been pioneering VR from the early Vive Pre days.

The Quest store SUCKS. It's like something Nintendo would design a decade ago. There's quite a bit of stuff but good luck finding any of it. The prices are a bit higher than I expected also - I'm guessing every developer realized they'd have a captive audience and ended whatever sales were running on the 12th.

Why didn't they make the controllers from a grippy plastic? They're not as slippery as WMR but Vive wands or Knuckles are much easier to hold onto. You can buy rubber grips for them from Amazon but it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

I wouldn't bother with the alternate face interface package, I'm going to send mine back. The foam is so thin that it doesn't really matter that much. Alternative-shaped facial interface/gasket/whateverdumbwordforFOAM made a significant difference with Vive's thicker foam.

I'm also sort of conflicted on the elite strap or whatever it's called. It's an improvement over the fabric strap that comes with it, but not a giant improvement. I suspect a third-party replacement that's cheaper and better will probably arrive before long (there are many available for Quest 1), as well as one that has real speakers built in. I will have to play more with it and decide whether to keep it. It's awfully expensive for what it is.

Don't get the battery strap IMO. There will be third-party ones that clip onto the back in no time, and until they arrive you can put a battery in your pocket or something. The price they're charging for such a small battery is criminal. The included case doesn't soften the blow.

64 GB is probably plenty if you plan on mainly playing PCVR games and have the know-how to set up a shared folder for your videos on your PC. The average game appears to be 500-2000 MB. However, to my great disappointment, Oculus does not have a native cloud save function! And it doesn't appear games leave behind saves when you delete them. This is so backward it makes me suspect it's on purpose to coerce people into buying the more expensive one. Still, that could be as many as 15-25 games installed. Probably more than you'll buy.

Overall, what comes in the cheap 64 GB box might be all you need. You may find you don't even need the strap upgrade, the fitment kit seems largely pointless for average face shapes, 256 GB is probably overkill, the carrying case is a bag and bag technology is not exclusive to Facebook, the battery strap is an unnecessary ripoff, the official link cable is no more capable of delivering video to the headset than a more reasonably priced $35 cable, and third-party silicone lens protectors just put all the weight on your glasses. A simple sticker-type lens protector might be a good buy if you can find one that won't reflect light too much. The return period on Amazon is currently extended until the end of January, and the Facebook random new account banning scare is probably largely limited to US signups.

Once you bend over for Zucc it's not so scary I guess. I hope Facebook doesn't kill high-end VR because that's where my real interest is. Unamused Face
Last edited by dcipub on Oct 18th, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8601 posts
4952 upvotes
Toronto
dcipub wrote: Mine arrived. Brief review: good screen quality, not very comfortable compared to Index or even Vive with DAS, in part due to my glasses. Feels like I'd ideally stack two or even three of the single provided glasses spacer on top of each other to get better comfort.

There's lens protectors on Amazon with a silicone ring that creates a space between the lenses and your glasses. Seemed like a great idea but in practice it just put all the weight of the headset on my glasses, which wasn't comfortable at all. Sending mine back. A shame, it's a good idea.
You could consider prescription lens adapters, a lot of people swear by them and don't have to worry about glasses fitting or scratching the lens. Widmo VR is the most popular, can look up reviews on YT.

https://widmovr.com/
Aug 20, 2018
241 posts
250 upvotes
Angultra wrote: You could consider prescription lens adapters, a lot of people swear by them and don't have to worry about glasses fitting or scratching the lens. Widmo VR is the most popular, can look up reviews on YT.

https://widmovr.com/
I heard about those but man they're expensive. I ordered a pair of glasses from Zenni for $30 shipped. If I keep my Quest 2 past January maybe then I'll get them.
Nov 27, 2003
930 posts
378 upvotes
dcipub wrote: Mine arrived. Brief - EDIT, LONG - review: good screen quality, not very comfortable compared to Index or even Vive with DAS, in part due to my glasses. Feels like I'd ideally stack two or even three of the single provided glasses spacer on top of each other to get better comfort.

There's lens protectors on Amazon with a silicone ring that creates a space between the lenses and your glasses. Seemed like a great idea but in practice it just put all the weight of the headset on my glasses, which wasn't comfortable at all. Sending mine back. A shame, it's a good idea.

I wouldn't worry too much about scratching the lenses, you can't see scratches that close to your eye really. I had a Vive and genuinely didn't realize I'd scratched the lenses until the Kijiji buyer lost his shit over it, but I let him try it out and he agreed you couldn't see them.

More thought has clearly been put into UX stuff than SteamVR, though it's also much more limiting. Can't get the Oculus software to install on my laptop so I haven't tried any PC VR stuff on it yet, I'll probably hook it up to my desktop tomorrow. WMR worked fine on my laptop.

edit: It wasn't difficult but wow there were a lot of steps to get virtual desktop working on my desktop. Seems like maybe it doesn't like multi-monitor setups or night mode. And it kept resetting my desktop resolution to 1080p instead of 1440p. At the end I did successfully stream a game on my AC router. Looked quite good. Link isn't as complicated but labeling it beta is still appropriate. Seems like VR always falls down where it comes to interfacing with Windows.

There's a free video viewer you can download but it doesn't handle subtitles well. You have to pay for the good one on the store, and I didn't want to spend any money on the store until a few months had passed because I'm spooked by the Facebook stuff. Anyway, as a TV/movie/anime viewer it's excellent once you have the right player. Like sitting in a theater. Much better than any other mobile VR. Limited by annoyances like not being able to set default audio/subtitle languages and other elementary stuff a video player should be capable of from the word go. Living alone, I might buy a Quest 2 before I'd buy a TV.

The built-in speakers are much better than I expected. They're comparable to bone conduction headphones in sound quality. Not very good compared to actual headphones but maybe that's not the most important thing.

Also picked up Pistol Whip, one of my favorite PCVR games. It's priced very fairly and it's a hell of a game. Better than Beat Saber IMO, and if you didn't tell me it was running on a 5 watt chip I would assume it was running on a PC because the art style compliments the limited power very well. It should be your first purchase. The developer is also Canadian and hasn't sold out to Facebook like Beat Saber's dev did. The game's so good I can guarantee they got an offer like that. Fun to play even sitting down. Great exercise! I'm glad Cloudhead finally got a very successful game out because they've been pioneering VR from the early Vive Pre days.

The Quest store SUCKS. It's like something Nintendo would design a decade ago. There's quite a bit of stuff but good luck finding any of it. The prices are a bit higher than I expected also - I'm guessing every developer realized they'd have a captive audience and ended whatever sales were running on the 12th.

Why didn't they make the controllers from a grippy plastic? They're not as slippery as WMR but Vive wands or Knuckles are much easier to hold onto. You can buy rubber grips for them from Amazon but it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

I wouldn't bother with the alternate face interface package, I'm going to send mine back. The foam is so thin that it doesn't really matter that much. It made a significant difference with Vive's thicker foam.

I'm also sort of conflicted on the elite strap or whatever it's called. It's an improvement over the fabric strap that comes with it, but not a giant improvement. I suspect a third-party replacement that's cheaper and better will probably arrive before long (there are many available for Quest 1), as well as one that has real speakers built in. I will have to play more with it and decide whether to keep it. It's awfully expensive for what it is.

Don't get the battery strap IMO. There will be third-party ones that clip onto the back in no time, and until they arrive you can put a battery in your pocket or something. The price they're charging for such a small battery is criminal. The included case doesn't soften the blow.

64 GB is probably plenty if you plan on mainly playing PCVR games and have the know-how to set up a shared folder for your videos on your PC. The average game appears to be 500-2000 MB. However, to my great disappointment, Oculus does not have a native cloud save function! And it doesn't appear games leave behind saves when you delete them. This is so backward it makes me suspect it's on purpose to coerce people into buying the more expensive one. Still, that could be as many as 15-25 games installed. Probably more than you'll buy.

Overall, what comes in the cheap 64 GB box might be all you need. You may find you don't even need the strap upgrade, the fitment kit seems largely pointless for average face shapes, 256 GB is probably overkill, the carrying case is a bag and bag technology is not exclusive to Facebook, the battery strap is an unnecessary ripoff, the official link cable is no more capable of delivering video to the headset than a more reasonably priced $35 cable, and third-party silicone lens protectors just put all the weight on your glasses. A simple sticker-type lens protector might be a good buy if you can find one that won't reflect light too much. The return period on Amazon is currently extended until the end of January, and the Facebook random new account banning scare is probably largely limited to US signups.

Once you bend over for Zucc it's not so scary I guess. I hope Facebook doesn't kill high-end VR because that's where my real interest is. Unamused Face
Wow, great review. Have you tried Star Wars Squadrons on it? Thoughts? I'm half tempted to get the Quest 2 just for that game. :) Granted I would likely need to finally pull the trigger on some sort of decent gaming PC or laptop, as well, to get the most out of it.
Aug 17, 2007
137 posts
73 upvotes
dcipub wrote: There's lens protectors on Amazon with a silicone ring that creates a space between the lenses and your glasses. Seemed like a great idea but in practice it just put all the weight of the headset on my glasses, which wasn't comfortable at all. Sending mine back. A shame, it's a good idea.
I wear glasses and bought likely the same ones but to tell you the truth, with the included spacer my glasses are no where near the lens. I put the middle sized silicone ring in and my glasses don't touch them at all. It's supposed to be more for "just in case" rather than to have your glasses contact them all the time. I have rectangular glasses that are smaller than the dimensions Oculus mentions for glasses on their website (https://support.oculus.com/307245736720922/) and I also wear them pretty close to my eyes so they don't stick out much. You could try to really get them close to your face but I suspect rounder frames may cause an issue.
dcipub wrote: However, to my great disappointment, Oculus does not have a native cloud save function! And it doesn't appear games leave behind saves when you delete them.
Some games do have cloud sync. I think it's developer dependent. That being said, SideQuest can backup and restore saved game data in most cases and I think it's an essential Quest 2 utility.
Aug 20, 2018
241 posts
250 upvotes
My nose is bigger than average I think, that's probably why my glasses are causing a problem. For me with those silicone spacers the HMD is resting maybe half or more of its front weight on the glasses, pressing the pads into my nose and practically into my eyes. I'll have to just accept the risk that I may scratch my Quest or glasses until I can justify the cost of a prescription lens kit.
deeznuts wrote: Wow, great review. Have you tried Star Wars Squadrons on it? Thoughts? I'm half tempted to get the Quest 2 just for that game. :) Granted I would likely need to finally pull the trigger on some sort of decent gaming PC or laptop, as well, to get the most out of it.
Squadrons is a mess on PC and the actual game is shallow enough that by the time they fix the bugs most of the players will have moved on. Very disappointing. I'm hoping it's a proof-of-concept for a better game in a year or two.

Of greater note might be XWVM (in development but promising) or X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project, which makes that game much more modern-looking as well as adding VR support. That's a good game. Watch a couple videos. The install process is complicated currently because the guy who did a lot of the work on XWAU as well as being responsible for the installers went nuts and got kicked off the team this summer. There will be a new all-in-one XWAU installer package in a month or two.

Another team is also working on a pretty impressive attempt at porting TIE Fighter to the XWA engine, both as a Lucas-like "remaster" where they basically added more chaos and combined smaller missions into larger missions, and an attempt at a more faithful 1:1 re-creation. It's a bit crude in some ways because XWA is structured differently but the spirit is there. They plan to release it this winter, which seems realistic from what they've shown completed so far.

These games combined have like 200 missions and you can buy the necessary base games quite cheaply.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1777 posts
676 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Noobzilla wrote: No account is permanently tied to the device. You can create a new account, and thus a new name.
The claims are:
1. Your game purchases are tied to the FB account. So if you switch facebook accounts, or your facebook account is blocked you lose your purchases.
2. If your facebook account is locked you cannot transfer the device to another facebook account.

Since I don't own this device I can neither confirm nor deny either of these claims. But unless you have actually been locked out of a facebook account after making purchases on it, or know someone who has been, neither can you.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1777 posts
676 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
coolmanfever wrote: how is porn watching experience with quest 2 ? :)
Of course any adult with any type of VR headset, is at least tempted to try VR porn at least once. Really, VR porn sucks big time. Imagine just how bad acting is in a porn video. Now imagine that with low resolution, and having to put your head at odd angles to gave poor tunnel vision views. Also, most people will fast forward porn. As lets face it, watching the same thing for ten minutes gets quit boring. But VR headsets tends to make that difficult as well. I'm sure there are some who think VR porn is the best invention since the centerfold, but you are really just better off using your imagination.
Sep 21, 2019
192 posts
133 upvotes
Tried in the Q1, it depends on the source of course, vrporncom has not invested in good cameras even if the the video is technically 4k. Not only low res, but the screen door effect gave flesh this textured look.
How about the VR videos in the menu Media tab, most played one is the Brooke something music video, how does that look. Still has that textured look, in Q2?
facebook259 wrote: Of course any adult with any type of VR headset, is at least tempted to try VR porn at least once. Really, VR porn sucks big time. Imagine just how bad acting is in a porn video. Now imagine that with low resolution, and having to put your head at odd angles to gave poor tunnel vision views. Also, most people will fast forward porn. As lets face it, watching the same thing for ten minutes gets quit boring. But VR headsets tends to make that difficult as well. I'm sure there are some who think VR porn is the best invention since the centerfold, but you are really just better off using your imagination.
Mar 13, 2012
87 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary
facebook259 wrote: Of course any adult with any type of VR headset, is at least tempted to try VR porn at least once. Really, VR porn sucks big time. Imagine just how bad acting is in a porn video. Now imagine that with low resolution, and having to put your head at odd angles to gave poor tunnel vision views. Also, most people will fast forward porn. As lets face it, watching the same thing for ten minutes gets quit boring. But VR headsets tends to make that difficult as well. I'm sure there are some who think VR porn is the best invention since the centerfold, but you are really just better off using your imagination.
I don't know what kind of stuff your watching but it obviously isn't the right stuff. Just do your research and it will make 2D content boring. Oculusnsfw reddit should be a good start. Also streaming vs downloading is a massive difference in quality, and seeing that Q2 can play 8k it is one of the best headsets for this industry right now.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3262 posts
3444 upvotes
Had to lookup "centerfold", was not disappointed ;)
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Aug 31, 2020
29 posts
9 upvotes
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Hey guys, new to the quest completely. I noticed the headset was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever had to wear in my life. So I saw that many people were dusting off their old DAS. And trust me, I'm not interested in paying 200+ dollars for their shitty elite cable + battery.

So with the help of some 3d-printing I made my own frankenquest 2!!! It feels so amazing now - the DAS is (and was) an amazing upgrade and the extra support and comfort it was like a night and day difference.

I found an awesome guy located in dt Toronto who printed these clips for me with same-day pickup for $20.

Here's some pics.

Unpictured is a 10k mah power bank attached to the back that completes the setup.