Hot Deals

[Oculus] Oculus Quest 2 pre-orders up - $459 64GB, $629 256GB, no tax, free shipping when ordering from Oculus

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 4:11 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1980 posts
2156 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Starting October 1, 2020, that's no longer the case if you're joining the Oculus family for the first time. After October 1, all new players will be required to sign into their Oculus Quest or Oculus Quest 2 with their Facebook account. Facebook says that current Oculus account holders should merge their Oculus accounts with their Facebook account before January 1, 2023, in order to avoid complications.

>Existing Oculus accounts will not be required to merge with a Facebook account, however, not merging will create several limitations for players. Facebook says that it cannot guarantee that all games, apps, and services will work with Oculus accounts after January 2023
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2739 posts
3124 upvotes
ill just wait until december 31 2022 to make my decision. by then chances are ill have something else.
Last edited by waven101 on Sep 16th, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1402 posts
852 upvotes
Canada
Pre-ordered one from Best Buy for $399+tax! Cheaper than ordering directly from Oculus a bit.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1974 posts
1267 upvotes
Montreal, QC
fujiapplelover wrote: Pre-ordered one from Best Buy for $399+tax! Cheaper than ordering directly from Oculus a bit.
It's not cheaper in Québec, and better return policy for that product directly from Oculus. Also, Best Buy will certainly run out of stock before Oculus does.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Jun 17, 2007
263 posts
216 upvotes
Terrace
I can't imagine it's worth it to get the stand alone headsets when they only have a tiny fraction of the power of your PC. Most of the things I've actually used my Rift S for you really can't use Oculus Quest for. Hell even in VRChat there is a stamp to tell you if a room supports PC + Quest users, or just PC users... Majority do not have the Quest stamp. You end up using a PC then have limitations from Link.

Why pay $650 to play phone games like Beat Saber
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8453 posts
4792 upvotes
Toronto
Elanzer wrote: I can't imagine it's worth it to get the stand alone headsets when they only have a tiny fraction of the power of your PC. Most of the things I've actually used my Rift S for you really can't use Oculus Quest for. Hell even in VRChat there is a stamp to tell you if a room supports PC + Quest users, or just PC users... Majority do not have the Quest stamp. You end up using a PC then have limitations from Link.

Why pay $650 to play phone games like Beat Saber
Different strokes for different folks, Quest is great if you don't have a gaming PC or don't want to deal with wires, but can still plug in if you want. All about options.
Mar 3, 2014
27 posts
25 upvotes
The Ars Technica review really killed my buzz on this. I love the idea of beat saber, tetris effect, Rez and all hands free, and being able to take it over to friends, so it's a shame they appear to be cheaping out on materials etc. relative to quest 1. That and the whole Facebook thing are enough to put me off but I will be jealous of those who get one.

They're discontinuing the rift due to the link cable, so the theory is it can make full use of the power of the pc but also provide the portability. If you want the premium experience though, htc or valve may be the way to go, going forward.
Last edited by gjeyre on Sep 16th, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 16, 2010
47 posts
27 upvotes
I’m getting it. I’ve been waiting to try VR for a long time and this seems like a good time to jump in. The Facebook thing doesn’t bother me. I haven’t used Facebook for over 5 years and delete everything off of it a long time ago. Have they been banning people off Facebook more recently now? That seems to be everyone’s concern?

Amazon seems to be the best place to order at this point. Better return policy than bestbuy and I live in Alberta so it’s much cheaper than oculus direct.
Jul 29, 2019
218 posts
166 upvotes
PriceHunter wrote: Also, anyone complaining about linking to facebook. Can't we just open a blank facebook account and use that?
No, under Facebook's policy, you cannot create a fake Facebook account. It must be the real you. Nevermind the data collection from Facebook.
Jul 29, 2019
218 posts
166 upvotes
digger314 wrote: That's crazy. You should not have to upload ID documents to use a piece of consumer entertainment tech.
Under Facebook's policy, you cannot create a fake account. You must use your real name and other relevant information. Nevermind the data collection Facebook does.
Jul 29, 2019
218 posts
166 upvotes
PriceHunter wrote: Mentioned in this article, 30 day bans for example, but not permanent.

https://www.roadtovr.com/fake-facebook- ... 20headsets.
Okay so after your first 30 days ban, are you going to create another fake account and get another 30 days ban again and continue the same loop? How much use are you going to get out of using it every other month. Maybe Facebook will see a pattern and ban you the next day instead. What's the value to you if you can only use it at least every other month.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3153 posts
2961 upvotes
Alberta
I wanted this device, but I've never had a Facebook account and I never will.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1408 posts
404 upvotes
I was able to purchase and make an account with my email only.
Jul 29, 2019
218 posts
166 upvotes
jg123 wrote: I was able to purchase and make an account with my email only.
Later this year Facebook will start to require you to use a Facebook account to login and end support for non-Facebook accounts starting in October. Facebook probably haven't required it yet if that is the case.

Thread Information

There are currently 13 users viewing this thread. (7 members and 6 guests)

saltman147, themagekiler, Baymaxs, davidm, Loomy, MikoWilson, kimcheeboy