747 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

Oculus Quest: free Vader Immortal episodes and no tax

Deal Link:
Savings:
No tax
Retailer:
oculus
So turns out the oculus webstore does not charge tax to canadians. Free shipping and no customs charges either.

In ontario (13% tax) that is a $63 discount on a system that sells for $550 everywhere (Bestbuy.ca, newegg.ca, amazon.ca).

Plus from Nov 21 - Jan 31 you get all three episodes of Vader Immortal for free ($36 value).

Not the deal of the century but there are no other Oculus posts in RFD right now so i thought i'd mention it.
According to this post the Occulus Rift S will be discounted by $50 sometime around black friday but without the free game. No tax from oculus web store still applies though.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1045 posts
1048 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Man, the fact they barely have any deals on these products makes it so hard for AR/VR to take off in this current market...
Jul 21, 2019
332 posts
641 upvotes
wartune123 wrote: Man, the fact they barely have any deals on these products makes it so hard for AR/VR to take off in this current market...
And the fact that it sucks as well.
Once an actual good company like Microsoft gets going on it and sells at a responsible price, it will take off.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3270 posts
747 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Brandon26 wrote: And the fact that it sucks as well.
Once an actual good company like Microsoft gets going on it and sells at a responsible price, it will take off.
Isn't that a bit harsh? Too expensive. Not enough good content. Still relatively uncomfortable over long sessions. Physical attributes can make some users unable to enjoy it. All of those are good criticisms.

Everyone i've talked to who's been to the VR arcade (including me) thinks it's really cool when you're doing it. A far cry from 'sucks'.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1045 posts
1048 upvotes
Unionville, ON
^
I think the issue is that the "cool" part wears off fairly quick...
Nov 2, 2016
116 posts
191 upvotes
microsoft has already entered and basically abandoned the market already.
Aug 16, 2015
694 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kevinck wrote: So turns out the oculus webstore does not charge tax to canadians. Free shipping and no customs charges either.

In ontario (13% tax) that is a $63 discount on a system that sells for $550 everywhere (Bestbuy.ca, newegg.ca, amazon.ca).

Plus from Nov 21 - Jan 31 you get all three episodes of Vader Immortal for free ($36 value).

Not the deal of the century but there are no other Oculus posts in RFD right now so i thought i'd mention it.
According to this post the Occulus Rift S will be discounted by $50 sometime around black friday but without the free game. No tax from oculus web store still applies though.
Ummm, not seeing free Vader Immortal anywhere....

Edit - need to buy the headset to get the bundle...
Nov 9, 2014
97 posts
50 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Kevinck wrote: Isn't that a bit harsh? Too expensive. Not enough good content. Still relatively uncomfortable over long sessions. Physical attributes can make some users unable to enjoy it. All of those are good criticisms.

Everyone i've talked to who's been to the VR arcade (including me) thinks it's really cool when you're doing it. A far cry from 'sucks'.
I have an Occulus Quest and it's a lot of fun. Yes - it's fairly expensive and it gets a bit uncomfortable because it's weighted too much to the front. I've added a battery pack at the back of the strap and it's way better now. BeatSaber custom songs are great - VR Gun Club is tons of fun. Untethered is really good.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1804 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
Don’t forget pistol whip! I use my HTC vive more than my ps4 but less than my switch.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1333 posts
776 upvotes
Canada
The Oculus Quest is actually getting rave reviews. It's a standalone 6 DoF headset (positional tracking so you can walk around roomscale). Plus Oculus Link just released in Beta that makes the Oculus Quest work like a PC VR headset as well.

Jul 22, 2013
4 posts
Toronto
Is the "no customs charges" guaranteed? I am hesitant to purchase from the oculus webstore as I have paid extortionate custom fees for things from the US before.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3270 posts
747 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Just received mine. Ordered Nov 22th. Received Nov 28th. But the UPS tracking did say there was a label issue on the first day that delayed it a day. And a mechanical truck issue near port hope ontario that delayed it another day.
https://www.oculus.com/quest/
Shipped from louisville kentucky to me in Ontario.
i got no sleep last night. It's an xmas gift but i had to "set it up".... and stuff.

I can confirm it arrived by UPS delivery with absolutely no fees. My cost on paypal was $549.00 CAD to Facebook Technologies, LLC.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8225 posts
3303 upvotes
East York mofo!
Can you still get Vader Immortal free if you bought the Oculus Quest way before, earlier?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3270 posts
747 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
ManCaveGamer wrote: Can you still get Vader Immortal free if you bought the Oculus Quest way before, earlier?
reddit has people saying they bought the quest a week before the free vader, contacted oculus support directly, and were given the promo. But sounds like it's completely YMMV.
May 16, 2013
84 posts
44 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Yes it's guaranteed. Oculus officially includes all taxes, shipping, and fees into the base price. All taxes and such are prepaid to UPS.