5097 upvotes
Kitchener

Oculus Rift S - $449.99

Price:
$449.99
Savings:
$100
Seems like a decent price!

I'm super tempted to buy one... I used to have a regular Rift but traded it for a Nintendo switch but I want to start playing VR again... specifically Phasmophobia

Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Oculus-Rift-PC-Po ... B07PTMKYS7
BestBuy: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/oc ... s/13542985
Oculus: https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/
Last edited by JoJoCan on Dec 23rd, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 64GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1060 6gb, 32GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
67 replies
Dec 5, 2009
91 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Now that the quest 2 is such a hit. Is the rift s still good? Any VR gurus here ?
Aug 8, 2009
423 posts
517 upvotes
Depends.

If you have a good PC the Rift S is better. The tethering part of quest 2 is significantly inferior to the experience you get with the Rift S.
Jun 3, 2005
724 posts
213 upvotes
GTA
JoJoCan wrote: Seems like a decent price! Not sure if there is tax or not... if there isn't I'll probably end up buying one. Can anyone confirm?
On sale at Best Buy until Jan.03 for the same price. Most stores currently have stock.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1129 posts
307 upvotes
clammydog wrote: On sale at Best Buy until Jan.03 for the same price. Most stores currently have stock.
Oculus store includes taxes, bestbuy doesn't making it more expensive.

That being said, Oculus PCVR is being discontinued, so the Quest 2 would probably be the better option.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3508 posts
5097 upvotes
Kitchener
Steven91 wrote: Oculus store includes taxes, bestbuy doesn't making it more expensive.

That being said, Oculus PCVR is being discontinued, so the Quest 2 would probably be the better option.
Oculus says estimated delivery is Jan 31st... Amazon is TOMORROW... I wonder if it is better to just buy from Amazon and pay the taxes.
Jun 3, 2005
724 posts
213 upvotes
GTA
Steven91 wrote: Oculus store includes taxes, bestbuy doesn't making it more expensive.

Yes, but you can have it now rather than waiting another month. I ordered one from Best Buy on Saturday. It was ready for curbside pickup in about 15 minutes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3508 posts
5097 upvotes
Kitchener
Dang it, Amazon isn't ONE DAY anymore... now the 28th... People are buying them and not saying anything here... ugh!!!

Think if I'm going to order I'll order direct from Oculus at this point...
Sep 13, 2017
12 posts
19 upvotes
zarfilg wrote: Depends.

If you have a good PC the Rift S is better. The tethering part of quest 2 is significantly inferior to the experience you get with the Rift S.
Have owned both, currently only own a Quest 2. The resolution (3664x1920 vs 2560x1440) and refresh rate (90 hz vs 80 hz) make the quest 2 a much better headset, only benefit I can think of for the rift s is that it is more comfortable (even when using the Quest 2 elite strap).
If you happen to be playing something where you notice encoding artifacts, they can easily be eliminated by cranking the bit rate of the headset up to 300 Mbps. Not sure why this isn't set by default.
Tethering is also all around better for the Quest 2 considering you only have 1 usb cable instead of usb + displayport to deal with if you want to extend the cable length, not to mention you can go wireless if you want using virtual desktop.

Not sure how you've come to your conclusion.
Nov 10, 2016
98 posts
104 upvotes
Montreal, Qc.
Do not buy the oculus rift S, as it is going to be discontinued on next year 2021, the oculus quest 2 is by far the better choice of the 2, you can use it as stand alone and also you can use it with your pc with some usb cables, or if you don't want cables you can connect via virtual desktop wireless and still enjoy the pc games, yes even at 90hz (this is awesome) but you need a good router.

For the pros of the rift s is a little bit more comfortable but you can buy accessories for the quest, so this is not really a pro, for the graphics, stand alone yes its close but the rift s is a little bit better (cause pc graphics), but connected the quest 2 is a little bit better than the rift s, it all depends how powerful your pc is but the same applies to the rift s.

So yeah with pc graphics and games wireless, and stand alone use (that is excellent btw), the huge advantage goes to the quest 2.
Jun 26, 2007
971 posts
691 upvotes
Steven91 wrote: That being said, Oculus PCVR is being discontinued, so the Quest 2 would probably be the better option.
The Rift product line is discontinued, They apparently want to keep supporting PC VR via the Quest line.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1546 posts
1209 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zarfilg wrote: Depends.

In what way? I couldn't see any appreciable difference between either when tethered for steamvr. And even if there was playing games wirelessly is a much better experience. Only costs $20 for the app on Oculus store and 10mins of setup
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2291 posts
778 upvotes
rolo512 wrote: Now that the quest 2 is such a hit. Is the rift s still good? Any VR gurus here ?
JoJoCan wrote: Seems like a decent price!
Samsung Odyssey went on sale repeatedly for $300-$350. $450 is not a good deal for an old discontinued system.

The most important thing for newbies to know is that PC VR is basically in hibernation. Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Samsung... all their headsets are gone, with no replacements announced. HTC is barely in business with nothing competitive. Oculus Rift is long dead. The Rift S in this thread was made by Lenovo, contracted by Oculus as a stepping stone until the Quest platform was a suitable replacement. Even the Sony Playstation VR was not successful enough to warrant a new headset or new generation of games.

The only meaningful PC VR headsets are the 1) Valve Index, which is made by the company that owns the store that people buy PC VR games from, 2) HP G2, which is an Index with a better screen and worse accessories aimed at enterprise clients, and 3) Oculus Quest 2, which supports both wired and wireless PC VR, AND mobile Quest games. All of them are expensive, and none of them are good enough yet for the average mainstream person, though the Quest 2 comes close.
Sep 18, 2007
61 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Loomy wrote: Samsung Odyssey went on sale repeatedly for $300-$350. $450 is not a good deal for an old discontinued system.

The most important thing for newbies to know is that PC VR is basically in hibernation. Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Samsung... all their headsets are gone, with no replacements announced. HTC is barely in business with nothing competitive. Oculus Rift is long dead. The Rift S in this thread was made by Lenovo, contracted by Oculus as a stepping stone until the Quest platform was a suitable replacement. Even the Sony Playstation VR was not successful enough to warrant a new headset or new generation of games.

The only meaningful PC VR headsets are the 1) Valve Index, which is made by the company that owns the store that people buy PC VR games from, 2) HP G2, which is an Index with a better screen and worse accessories aimed at enterprise clients, and 3) Oculus Quest 2, which supports both wired and wireless PC VR, AND mobile Quest games. All of them are expensive, and none of them are good enough yet for the average mainstream person, though the Quest 2 comes close.

Yea that's alot of inaccurate info. The rift s is very much still viable. Even if it is discontinued, it will still continue to work with the occulus store and even if that disappears it will always work with steamvr.

Htc cosmos is a really good headset and is very much still competetive, not to mention the valve index is also very good.

Next time try not to speak about things you clearly don't know about.

The rift s is a great option for those who want to get into PCVR. It's cheaper than the index and cosmos and still provides a great experience. Is recommend this over the quest 2 for sure.
Koodo $40/11GB (6GB + 5GB Bonus)
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1370 posts
349 upvotes
GVRD
rolo512 wrote: Now that the quest 2 is such a hit. Is the rift s still good? Any VR gurus here ?
I have a Rift S, HP G2 and the Quest 2

I would get the Quest 2 over the Rift S, the display is better and you can use it wirelessly. Technically the Q2 is a bit more expensive when you factor in the cable, and a proper head strap but there are cheaper after market solutions
Nov 10, 2016
98 posts
104 upvotes
Montreal, Qc.
dsforsaken wrote: Yea that's alot of inaccurate info. The rift s is very much still viable. Even if it is discontinued, it will still continue to work with the occulus store and even if that disappears it will always work with steamvr.

Htc cosmos is a really good headset and is very much still competetive, not to mention the valve index is also very good.

Next time try not to speak about things you clearly don't know about.

The rift s is a great option for those who want to get into PCVR. It's cheaper than the index and cosmos and still provides a great experience. Is recommend this over the quest 2 for sure.
I really don't understand how you can recommend the rift s over the quest 2, I mean if you compare them both just connected, the quest 2 has more resolution and higher refresh rate, it is cheaper, only use one usb cable, and you can connect to you pc wirelessly, the only thing the rift s has is that is a little bit more comfortable out of the box.

Of all the headsets apart from the ones from valve or oculus, the main con against them is the price, it gets expensive, also at the time there is not exactly that good integration with games as developers think only in the main companies (valve, oculus), this will get better of course.
Last edited by capogalo on Dec 23rd, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7084 posts
1424 upvotes
Toronto
Quest 2 is my pick. I bought one a few months ago, did the virtual desktop thing to stream over wifi but my wifi could only handle a 150mbps connection to the quest so I bought a new wifi 6 router and now I get a 1200mbps connection to the quest 2. My latency is about 30[ms] and being to move around without wires is much more comfortable than with my old HTC Vive.

My only problem now is that for graphically intense games, I have to run at 50% resolution on my 1060 6GB. I want to upgrade to a 3060ti or a 3070 but no stock is available and I am not willing to pay scalper prices.

I 3d printed this, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4624883, and my quest 2 is now a lot more comfortable. It is a very easy and quick print. I will probably 3d print a more elaborate head strap mechanism for more comfort when I have more time.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2291 posts
778 upvotes
dsforsaken wrote: The rift s is very much still viable.
I didn't say it doesn't work. Just that it's overpriced, discontinued, and PC VR is all but dead.
Htc cosmos is a really good headset
Cosmos has 47% 5 star reviews on Amazon, and Rift S has 72%. Cosmos is the worst current-gen VR headset you can get.
Sep 18, 2007
61 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
capogalo wrote: I really don't understand how you can recommend the rift s over the quest 2, I mean if you compare them both just connected, the quest 2 has more resolution and higher refresh rate, it is cheaper, only use one usb cable, and you can connect to you pc wirelessly, the only thing the rift s has is that is a little bit more comfortable out of the box.

Of all the headsets apart from the ones from valve or oculus, the main con against them is the price, it gets expensive, also at the time there is not exactly that good integration with games as developers think only in the main companies (valve, oculus), this will get better of course.

Because there are restrictions on the quest 2 for wireless connectivity. You have to sideload a 3rd party app to do so. And even then the bandwidth is significantly lower. So sure you have a higher resolution screen, but the bitrate will be lower. Even if you use their link cable the bandwidth is lower than the rift s. The rift s has a dedicated display port for video and a usb 3 cable for sensors and camera data. The quest 2 has to compress video and sensor date over usb 3 which has less bandwidth than display port.

Not to mention the quest 2 requires facebook login. The rift S won't until 2023. The rift s also has an open source driver (from the community) so you can still use it with steamvr after 2023 workout requiring facebook.

If you don't have a good enough PC or can't afford $500 the. The quest 2 is obviously the best VR choice. But if you care about PC VR then your options are the rift s, cosmos and index. Pick the one closest to your price point.

The cosmos may have poor reviews on Amazon, but there used to have tracking issues that have since been fixed. I have both the rift s and cosmos and can testify that they are both excellent choices. However the cosmos is more geared towards those who wish to expand their system, it supports add-ons like wireless connectivity, extra sensors, different controllers etc.
Koodo $40/11GB (6GB + 5GB Bonus)