Hot Deals

Oculus Rift S - $449.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 9:43 pm
Sep 18, 2007
61 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Loomy wrote: I didn't say it doesn't work. Just that it's overpriced, discontinued, and PC VR is all but dead.

Cosmos has 47% 5 star reviews on Amazon, and Rift S has 72%. Cosmos is the worst current-gen VR headset you can get.
From someone whose actually used both extensively, I can confidently tell you you are mistaken. Not everything is about Amazon reviews.
Koodo $40/11GB (6GB + 5GB Bonus)
Nov 10, 2016
98 posts
104 upvotes
Montreal, Qc.
dsforsaken wrote: Because there are restrictions on the quest 2 for wireless connectivity. You have to sideload a 3rd party app to do so. And even then the bandwidth is significantly lower. So sure you have a higher resolution screen, but the bitrate will be lower. Even if you use their link cable the bandwidth is lower than the rift s. The rift s has a dedicated display port for video and a usb 3 cable for sensors and camera data. The quest 2 has to compress video and sensor date over usb 3 which has less bandwidth than display port.

Not to mention the quest 2 requires facebook login. The rift S won't until 2023. The rift s also has an open source driver (from the community) so you can still use it with steamvr after 2023 workout requiring facebook.

If you don't have a good enough PC or can't afford $500 the. The quest 2 is obviously the best VR choice. But if you care about PC VR then your options are the rift s, cosmos and index. Pick the one closest to your price point.

The cosmos may have poor reviews on Amazon, but there used to have tracking issues that have since been fixed. I have both the rift s and cosmos and can testify that they are both excellent choices. However the cosmos is more geared towards those who wish to expand their system, it supports add-ons like wireless connectivity, extra sensors, different controllers etc.
So you are complaining that the quest 2 you have to sideload the app but the use of an open source driver community supported for the rift s is ok in your book??,

Yes I agree the rift 2 is marginally better, but still the average person will not even notice or care about the .0001 improvement over bandwidth, only enthusiasts will run tests and that stuff to compare how it compares, heck the 80hz vs 90hz make more of a difference to the normal user.

The Facebook is a poor excuse, most people have Facebook and if you have privacy concerns about it, you shouldn't be sharing personal private stuff on Facebook, if you bought an oculus whatever, facebook without login already has all your contact information and if you use WhatsApp (owned by Facebook) well it already has all your contacts and messages, so that's that, adding that by 2023 the rift s will be more than dead with new headsets coming from everywhere, even worse if its being discontinued next year.

I stand my point, the quest 2 over the rift s, just be able to play its own games without pc and having the choice by using a cable or sideloading an app to connect to your pc to play your pc games wireless with no mayor graphic or gameplay differences, same price at the moment with the rift s discount (yes if you buy accessories to improve the experience it can cost a little more), better support and longer life, is a not brainer.

With the cosmos at $1,099, the index at $1319 or the one that may be the best of the bunch but at preorder (at the moment) the hp reverb g2 at $600, but still need to be forcibly connected to your powerful pc to be able to bring a good experience, to put it simply with the quest 2 you get a lot more value for your money.
Last edited by capogalo on Dec 23rd, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 8, 2009
423 posts
517 upvotes
I have both and the latency is significant on the quest 2.
Oct 3, 2006
831 posts
415 upvotes
Agree with the others. I have 2 Oculus Rift CV1, 1 Rift-S and now, 3 Quest 2... and Quest 2 is superior in all aspects exept confort. With an AX router, I got really good results linked to my PC completly wireless!! And wireless is unbeatable!!
Dec 23, 2017
45 posts
31 upvotes
With Quest 2 at 400 I'd chip in no more than 300 on the rift s.

untethered is the way
Aug 8, 2009
423 posts
517 upvotes
TheBusGuy wrote: Have owned both, currently only own a Quest 2. The resolution (3664x1920 vs 2560x1440) and refresh rate (90 hz vs 80 hz) make the quest 2 a much better headset, only benefit I can think of for the rift s is that it is more comfortable (even when using the Quest 2 elite strap).
If you happen to be playing something where you notice encoding artifacts, they can easily be eliminated by cranking the bit rate of the headset up to 300 Mbps. Not sure why this isn't set by default.
Tethering is also all around better for the Quest 2 considering you only have 1 usb cable instead of usb + displayport to deal with if you want to extend the cable length, not to mention you can go wireless if you want using virtual desktop.

Not sure how you've come to your conclusion.
Dude, it's a known fact that skipped frames, loss of detail and general smoothness suffers in this order Quest Link>Virtualdesktop. Despite the lower resolution and refresh rate PCVR looks and runs significantly better on RIFT S. This is not conjecture, it is a fact.

Now if you don't have a good pc or don't see yourself using PCVR most of the time, go for the quest 2 (assuming you're ok with Facebook privacy/ownership issues).
May 8, 2012
52 posts
22 upvotes
Ottawa
Picked up quest 2 over rift s, no regrets. Tethered to dedicated gaming pc.

rolo512 wrote: Now that the quest 2 is such a hit. Is the rift s still good? Any VR gurus here ?
Feb 18, 2007
747 posts
916 upvotes
Vancouver
dsforsaken wrote:
Not to mention the quest 2 requires facebook login. The rift S won't until 2023. The rift s also has an open source driver (from the community) so you can still use it with steamvr after 2023 workout requiring facebook.
Rofl

FB is Complete non issue. Do you complain about ANY of the other million services you need to have to create a login for?

Oculus Quest 2 is better than the Rift S.

And you still see people selling CV1 and used Rift S for more than $399 lmao
Jun 14, 2015
99 posts
120 upvotes
Vernon, BC
Rift S may as well have been discontinued the moment it was released. Oculus has next to zero support for it. There have been numerous software issues since release that they have not bothered to do anything about.
Sep 19, 2015
74 posts
52 upvotes
danascully wrote: Rofl

FB is Complete non issue. Do you complain about ANY of the other million services you need to have to create a login for?

Oculus Quest 2 is better than the Rift S.

And you still see people selling CV1 and used Rift S for more than $399 lmao
You can get banned on facebook and lose all your purchases. Inactive accounts with no posts get banned too.
Jan 21, 2014
243 posts
90 upvotes
Vancouver
I got the quest 2 as a Xmas gift. It is a great product. I have a laptop that could do pcvr but honestly being without chords more than makes up for the graphics imo. Having the cord ruins the immersion for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3508 posts
5096 upvotes
Kitchener
So many mixed opinions on here...

I really think Rift S would be better than the Quest 2 for my use case...

Hmmm....
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 64GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1060 6gb, 32GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Jun 12, 2017
23 posts
5 upvotes
I'm truly puzzled at how anyone could recommend anything but the Quest 2 in the VR space right now unless you have infinitely deep pockets and want the very best (HP reverb 2) and even then it doesn't make much sense.

The quest 2 is the only stand alone headset out there. Just that alone is quite a stellar feature and there are tons of great games and ports that work perfectly well, natively and offer a fantastic and seemless VR experience. The list is growing every week and clearly this is where Oculus (Facebook) bets the future of VR is at. The improvements. Over the quest 1 are so staggering over a short period of that that it elevated the Quest as a platform from nice functional proof of concept to great platform.

In terms of PC VR both Link (wired) and Virtual Desktop (wireless) have improved in stellar ways of the course of the past 3 months. I'm personally using virtual desktop and couldn't be happier. I am confident that anyone playing with a rift s vs a quest 2 would systematically pic the quest 2 as the better experience in a double blind every time. Better resolution, better refresh rate, better controllers.. The only honest drawback is comfort which can be mitigated via a 35$ Halo strap on Aliexpress..making the quest 2 more confortable than the rift.

The liberty of playing either quest native anywhere as a portable device or pcvr wire free is on another level. Setting up virtual desktop only requires the app and a proper router (doesn't have to be ridiculously fancy just about any good Ac router with a dedicated 5ghz band).

Having owned the Quest 1 for a short period of time and upgraded it to the quest 2 on launch it has been for me the most impressive gaming device I've ever owned over the past 30 years.
Oct 3, 2006
831 posts
415 upvotes
Do you have a link for the Halo headstrap on alieexpress?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3508 posts
5096 upvotes
Kitchener
I think I'm going to order a Rift S today. I really enjoyed my Rift CV1 when I had it.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
1281 posts
11 upvotes
I have the quest 2 with the Virtual desktop running wireless on wifi6 through 5ghz with a AC1500.

There is no latency. It's **** amazing. I can play boneworks/alyx with very little stutter. There is some issues if i turn REALLY fast.

beat saber/pistolwhip there is a tiny bit of delay but you can adjust settings for that.

Obviously you cannot play outside of the room the the router is in because 5ghz has a max range for max throughput. I can verify that I am getting 100mbps through 5ghz with wifi6.

I'm running a 1080ti btw.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4784 posts
3282 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Interesting take. I just ordered the oculus quest 2 from the site. Missed out on the restock on best buy today. Estimated delivery Feb 2. Oh wells, I'm a patient guy LOL. Gonna wait for 3080 Ti anyways.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3508 posts
5096 upvotes
Kitchener
Went ahead and purchased the Rift S from Amazon -- $507.37 Taxes IN.

All for Phasmophobia :D
Mar 17, 2007
128 posts
55 upvotes
Quest 2 is $50 cheaper and has higher resolution screens. Using either the link cable or virtual desktop, you can play PCVR games as well. Quest 2 is a no brainer IMO
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1582 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
Everyone that's says quest 2 virtual desktop and link has no downside vs rift s play either non intensive games or are fairly casual.

I bought the original quest 1 pretty much mainly for beat saber and have played custom songs on native quest beat saber as well as pcvr through link. I can say there is absolutely no way you can climb leader boards with link bandwidth limitations killing tracking and overall game stutter. I am playing with a 3060ti and still the system does not handle well with mods. This is already with direct usb c output from my motherboard so it should be the fastest possible. I would not even imagine trying wireless.

Picked up a 2nd hand vive recently because I wanted base stations and even with the horrid screen compared and required wires, the tracking experience and no in game stutter is infinitely better. Just need to get used to the heavy controllers now.

In casual slow games like phasmophobia, I would have no issue playing on the quest through link or wireless. But if you actually want to be competitive I cannot recommend the quest if you want to use pcvr. Quest version of games is another story. Quest would still be the one I recommend to any 1st time vr buyers esp since gaming pc requirements are removed so entry point much lower. However, everyone in the thread making it seem that the rift s is completely irrelevant because of the quest 2 has probably not experienced enough issues.