Odyssey or Sienna in July 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2022 4:41 pm
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
899 posts
697 upvotes

Odyssey or Sienna in July 2020

Trying to make a decision. Am based in Ottawa where there are few options even available. As I understand it, I can source a Sienna SE or either an Odyssey EX or EX-L Navi that will meet my needs (8 seats which limits Sienna options).

Due to Covid, there are very few models available. Some things I’ve been considering:

- Sienna is being replaced this fall (or later depending on production delays)

- Odyssey is getting a refresh but 2021 also delayed due to covid production delays.

- Honda offering a better deal on my trade.

- Honda dealership nicer to deal with.

- Toyota is slightly cheaper and has leather in the cheap model compared to the Honda which requires a jump to the EX-L to get leather and auto trunk.

- I really liked the Hylander, but the seating and cargo space cannot compete with the vans.

- I don’t consider there to be much difference in terms of resale value (edge to Honda due to Sienna being replaced) or reliability (edge to Toyota from what I read, though a friend is still suffering her melon Sienna).

Other things to consider?
28 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12610 posts
3734 upvotes
Odyssey this gen has lots of issues. Sienna is the better bet.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
899 posts
697 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: Odyssey this gen has lots of issues. Sienna is the better bet.
What are the issues? I’m aware of the past transmission issues and the 2013 I owned had little issues with a sliding door and second row seats. The Sienna hasn’t really had an update since 2011 and is being completely replaced with a new design/engine/etc n a few months.
Oct 2, 2019
779 posts
701 upvotes
Nunavut
Due to COVID there are a lot of new odyssey’s and sienna. Who told you the opposite?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
2671 posts
4146 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
dolfan1980 wrote: Trying to make a decision. Am based in Ottawa where there are few options even available. As I understand it, I can source a Sienna SE or either an Odyssey EX or EX-L Navi that will meet my needs (8 seats which limits Sienna options).

Due to Covid, there are very few models available. Some things I’ve been considering:

- Odyssey is getting a refresh but 2021 also delayed due to covid production delays.

- Toyota is slightly cheaper and has leather in the cheap model compared to the Honda which requires a jump to the EX-L to get leather and auto trunk.

- I really liked the Hylander, but the seating and cargo space cannot compete with the vans.

- I don’t consider there to be much difference in terms of resale value (edge to Honda due to Sienna being replaced) or reliability (edge to Toyota from what I read, though a friend is still suffering her melon Sienna).

Find out insurance rates for both vehicles. I've noticed that Hondas tend to be more expensive. Would you consider a Kia Sedona? At least check it out and go drive it. It might be in contention as it's significantly cheaper than either the Honda or the Toyota with equal reliability. Though some say that Kia doesn't drive as well as other minivans.
Be Balanced. Be Diversified. Stay Invested.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2978 posts
1311 upvotes
GTA
FWIW, I liked the Sienna when I drove it last year, except the tranny was slow to shift (both directions) IMO.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
899 posts
697 upvotes
k847848 wrote: Due to COVID there are a lot of new odyssey’s and sienna. Who told you the opposite?
There are quite a few dealerships in Ottawa and I had trouble even finding a Sienna to test drive and only one SE 8 seater Sienna is an option given scarcity. The Odyssey is a little better, but will still likely have to get the one I want from Kingston or Toronto. The 2021s of both have been significantly delayed. If you have other info I’d love to hear it.
TuxedoBlack wrote: Find out insurance rates for both vehicles. I've noticed that Hondas tend to be more expensive. Would you consider a Kia Sedona? At least check it out and go drive it. It might be in contention as it's significantly cheaper than either the Honda or the Toyota with equal reliability. Though some say that Kia doesn't drive as well as other minivans.
I’m not sure the Kia has the same resale value or drive quality to be in the running, but I will give it a look.
Viperoni wrote: FWIW, I liked the Sienna when I drove it last year, except the tranny was slow to shift (both directions) IMO.
I found the Sienna to be a little dated and not the same drive also, but probably was due to me test driving the techs/fancy Highlander right after.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1464 upvotes
Ottawa
I had an Odyssey for 10 years. The first 5 was relatively trouble free but the last 5 however was far from it. Engine misfiring and rebuilt due to fouling, poor trim and body alignment issues, multiple A/C repairs, replaced suspension components (stabilizer bar links, front & rear shocks) due to premature wear, replaced sliding door latches, battery replaced 3x due to parasitic drain, replaced power steering feed hose, and on and on. You get the idea. I had the extended warranty and none of these items were covered and the dealer was unsympathetic. It was a money pit.

You've been forewarned. If reliability is your priority, go with the Sienna otherwise enjoy your Honda.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
899 posts
697 upvotes
sandav wrote: I had an Odyssey for 10 years. The first 5 was relatively trouble free but the last 5 however was far from it. Engine misfiring and rebuilt due to fouling, poor trim and body alignment issues, multiple A/C repairs, replaced suspension components (stabilizer bar links, front & rear shocks) due to premature wear, replaced sliding door latches, battery replaced 3x due to parasitic drain, replaced power steering feed hose, and on and on. You get the idea. I had the extended warranty and none of these items were covered and the dealer was unsympathetic. It was a money pit.

You've been forewarned. If reliability is your priority, go with the Sienna otherwise enjoy your Honda.
Thanks for the intel and to the previous poster who put me onto the forum. I drove a 2013 until my divorce two years ago, but of course it had barely hit 100k km by then.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10089 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto
If buying brand new I suck it up and wait for 2021 sienna, I love the sienna with the space. I wish I could buy a Toyota hiace love it looks but can't if I gas the money I would import it
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
899 posts
697 upvotes
akito925 wrote: If buying brand new I suck it up and wait for 2021 sienna, I love the sienna with the space. I wish I could buy a Toyota hiace love it looks but can't if I gas the money I would import it
Is the 2021 Sienna all new or is the new hybrid engine something that has already had the kinks worked out? That’s my main worry with a new vehicle.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2941 posts
2348 upvotes
Markham
dolfan1980 wrote: Is the 2021 Sienna all new or is the new hybrid engine something that has already had the kinks worked out? That’s my main worry with a new vehicle.
Its pretty much all new. The hybrid engine is the same one used for the RAV4 hybrid, ES300h, Camry hybrid, etc.

If you're really worried, then still wait for the 2021s to actually release but negotiate harder for the 2020s and knock the price down further as they're going to be a hard sell if they're priced the same as the all-new model.
Oct 22, 2019
6 posts
5 upvotes
lethbridge, ab
dolfan1980 wrote: Trying to make a decision. Am based in Ottawa where there are few options even available. As I understand it, I can source a Sienna SE or either an Odyssey EX or EX-L Navi that will meet my needs (8 seats which limits Sienna options).

Whenever I am purchasing a car (new or old), I always checkout this website and find it to be pretty consistent with my cars. https://www.carcomplaints.com/ . Filter by Car Make, Model, and it will show you each model year how many issues have been reported, along with recall history.
Mar 28, 2008
534 posts
311 upvotes
Incidentally I'm also in Ottawa and also looking for a Toyota or Honda Minivan lol
The 2021 Sienna looks slick but I guess they will not have a non-hybrid model?
I barely drive 15,000km per year, so not looking to spend extra money for a hybrid.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2397 posts
1580 upvotes
North Vancouver
We love our Sienna and wouldn't hesitate to buy another but I'd never buy ther first year of any new gen release. Recommend holding off on the new gen Sienna until there is some established operating history and you can learn from the experiences of others.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
[OP]
Aug 3, 2017
899 posts
697 upvotes
ngold wrote: Incidentally I'm also in Ottawa and also looking for a Toyota or Honda Minivan lol
The 2021 Sienna looks slick but I guess they will not have a non-hybrid model?
I barely drive 15,000km per year, so not looking to spend extra money for a hybrid.
I bought an Odyssey today, pick it up next week. Deciding on the extended warranty given the advice regarding some issues with them. I could only find an SE Sienna and not really what I wanted. 2021s are a bit of a ways off, I got the trade in value I wanted and it worked out well.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2357 posts
1453 upvotes
Ottawa
dolfan1980 wrote: I bought an Odyssey today, pick it up next week. Deciding on the extended warranty given the advice regarding some issues with them. I could only find an SE Sienna and not really what I wanted. 2021s are a bit of a ways off, I got the trade in value I wanted and it worked out well.
I got my money's worth out of my 2014 Odyssey extended warranty. The van was more or less okay until 2019. We drive about 12,000 km per year. Right at the beginning, some minor things were wrong. The detailer who applied Opti-Coat told me that the paint was thin in a spot on the roof. During the first winter, the hydraulic liftgate arms would stutter. I didn't complain about those to the dealer.

In 2019, one of the sliding door cables snapped. They replaced the cable and motor. That was covered by warranty. Then it started to leak power steering fluid. The dealership decided to replace the steering rack. That was also covered. I finally asked about the liftgate arms but they said they're not covered. We'll see what's next...
Apr 13, 2009
102 posts
95 upvotes

Odyssey has been having a lot of quality issues. In general Sienna is tried and true since it's been around so long.
May 24, 2008
296 posts
233 upvotes
Mississauga
Current gen Odyssey owner (got the car in 2017, one of the earlier production which have more issues), get the extended warranty, its worth it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)