• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 1:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 5, 2010
851 posts
246 upvotes

Office Chairs?

Guys. So I've been working from home for the last 2 months now. And I foresee us staying this way for atleast another two months. My neck and shoulders are about to die cuz I've been using a lawn chair for an office chair. Don't have one...

I am in Toronto, where can I get an office chair that won't take years to come in. Amazon ain't shipping any reasonable chair under 200 till mid may.
17 replies
Mar 29, 2013
168 posts
88 upvotes
Oshawa
Hey - i dont have any recommendations, but im also looking for one and was about to make a post.

I wanted the ikea markus but they dont seem to be delivering to me.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11542 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
Depends on your tolerance to "used" stuff.
Chairs under $200 are typically garbage in the long term unless you get that famous Haiken mesh chair from Staples while it's on sale at $150.

Otherwise, a good office chair that lasts forever will cost $300+ brand new.

Considering one of my best office chair came from my work office when we renovated the building, I'd go buy another used chair off kijiji from a office supply outlet. Those stores are closed to public right now, but typically will open up if you called ahead.

If you think about it, it's less risky than going out for grocery shopping.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10625 posts
12840 upvotes
Vancouver
Offices often throw out chairs once the gas cylinder goes and the seat no longer stays at the set height. This is a $20 part that takes about 10 seconds with a hammer to change out. I rescued a couple from my wife’s office that were to be thrown out. If you know anyone still working in an office ask them if there’s anything kicking around destined for the trash heap.
Nov 22, 2005
101 posts
20 upvotes
Markham
What is a good recommendation for office chair that's around $300?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1975 posts
744 upvotes
Scarborough
shiryu1031 wrote: What is a good recommendation for office chair that's around $300?
Second hand Steelcase Leap V2 or Herman Miller Aeron.

Even though they're second hand....you'll probably never need to buy another office chair again.
Jun 9, 2019
222 posts
372 upvotes
My suggestion would be to look on Craigslist or similar sites for someone selling Herman Miller. They're often bought in bulk from office closures and sold individually on the aftermarket.

I picked up my Herman Miller in excellent condition for around $550 (retail would have been double). They're amazing quality and are the gold standard for ergonomic.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2010
851 posts
246 upvotes
Anywhere I can get a cheap one for now? I just need a cheap one for during this quarantine thing
Sep 30, 2001
28523 posts
7708 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone have any opinions on the ergocentric airCentric 2 chair with the optional headrest? Looks like it will cost $715+tx with the extras i'm looking for a good chair with a headrest option (or has a tall back to support the head)
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
41499 posts
39206 upvotes
Economy
sony17 wrote: Anywhere I can get a cheap one for now? I just need a cheap one for during this quarantine thing
I bought one from Walmart about a month ago. I find it comfortable.
I paid somewhere around $50 plus tax.
Don't take life too seriously.
No one gets out alive anyway.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33541 posts
7217 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
MrDisco wrote: Does anyone have any opinions on the ergocentric airCentric 2 chair with the optional headrest? Looks like it will cost $715+tx with the extras i'm looking for a good chair with a headrest option (or has a tall back to support the head)
I have two ergo centric chairs. I paid ~2200$ for the pair 8 years ago. They are great chairs and both mine has the head rest.

My only suggestion is to get leather. 715$ is a good price for the airCentric chair.
Jul 15, 2003
527 posts
168 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: Does anyone have any opinions on the ergocentric airCentric 2 chair with the optional headrest? Looks like it will cost $715+tx with the extras i'm looking for a good chair with a headrest option (or has a tall back to support the head)
I can't speak to their airCentric 2, but their TCentric Hybrid is pretty comfy (and lots of customization available). You can use their virtual consultation to get a recommendation; prices are cheaper than what you can get through a dealer I think.
Sep 30, 2001
28523 posts
7708 upvotes
Toronto
Skipper wrote: I can't speak to their airCentric 2, but their TCentric Hybrid is pretty comfy (and lots of customization available). You can use their virtual consultation to get a recommendation; prices are cheaper than what you can get through a dealer I think.
I saw that but wow it really starts pushing the price. The arms alone are a $240 option from one website i saw :(
Jul 15, 2003
527 posts
168 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: I saw that but wow it really starts pushing the price. The arms alone are a $240 option from one website i saw :(
Try contacting Ergocentric directly for a quote. They were able to give me prices (in some cases, a lot) lower than what was available from dealer sites. The only trouble is choosing from all the options available.
Sep 30, 2001
28523 posts
7708 upvotes
Toronto
Skipper wrote: Try contacting Ergocentric directly for a quote. They were able to give me prices (in some cases, a lot) lower than what was available from dealer sites. The only trouble is choosing from all the options available.
i know! i found another retailer that has a massive list of options. it's like, i just want a chair dude :'|