Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 4, 2011
185 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

Office Dress shirt colours, patterns!

I am starting a new finance manager position and am looking at re-doing my wardrobe. I wanted to get an idea as to

- How many dress shirts approximately would I need?
- What colours should I go for?
- Is stripes considered informal or should I get solids and stripes?

If anyone could post some any links of what they have recently bought that would be great. I am open to spending $80-100 per shirt.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20131 posts
4671 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
1. Know your actual shirt size based on neck circumference and arm length, and only buy fitted shirts labelled with the actual neck and arm length measurements. Never buy based on "small", "medium", "large", etc., unless you know the brand and that it happens to fit you.
2. Stay away from the boxy regular cuts and go for the slim fit, unless you are of larger proportions.

Solid is the most formal. Once you get into patterns / stripes, all of those are less formal. The busier and louder they are, the less formal they become.

Start off with solids in conservative colours for sure to make a basic collection. What looks good on you depends on your skin tone. I would have at least 1 light blue and 1 white. You might also consider light yellow, light green, light pink, but this all depends on your own complexion.

Then you could get into gingham, some stripes, herringbones, etc. Just don't commit on too much too quickly, or you'll build up a collection of stuff you'll never wear.

Whatever you do go slow!! :lol: If you buy a pile of clothes without specific clothing knowledge, you'll waste a lot of money on crap you're going to hate. Do yourself a favour and go on youtube, looking through the old videos of Real Men Real Style and Alpha M. And I do emphasize older videos, as those fundamental ones were made long ago.

Here is a good starting point:
The next step up from this is custom made shirts, but I wouldn't get into that just yet.
- casual gastronomist -
[OP]
Nov 4, 2011
185 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, this is really helpful. Are there are particular custom fit places which you would recommend for slim fit?
Jucius Maximus wrote: 1. Know your actual shirt size based on neck circumference and arm length, and only buy fitted shirts labelled with the actual neck and arm length measurements. Never buy based on "small", "medium", "large", etc., unless you know the brand and that it happens to fit you.
2. Stay away from the boxy regular cuts and go for the slim fit, unless you are of larger proportions.

Solid is the most formal. Once you get into patterns / stripes, all of those are less formal. The busier and louder the are, the less formal they become.

Start off with solids in conservative colours for sure to make a basic collection. What looks good on you depends on your skin tone. I would have at least 1 light blue and 1 white. You might also consider light yellow, light green, light pink, but this all depends on your own complexion.

Then you could get into gingham, some stripes, herringbones, etc. Just don't commit on too much too quickly, or you'll build up a collection of stuff you'll never wear.

Whatever you do go slow!! :lol: If you buy a pile of clothes without specific clothing knowledge, you'll waste a lot of money on crap you're going to hate. Do yourself a favour and go on youtube, looking through the old videos of Real Men Real Style and Alpha M. And I do emphasize older videos, as those fundamental ones were made long ago.

Here is a good st
arting point:
The next step up from this is custom made shirts, but I wouldn't get into that just yet.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20131 posts
4671 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
clumzy1 wrote: Thanks, this is really helpful. Are there are particular custom fit places which you would recommend for slim fit?
If you are looking to get made to measure dress shirts, one of the best destinations in the GTA is Spier and Makay. They have their downtown location and also the Mississauga location.
- casual gastronomist -
[OP]
Nov 4, 2011
185 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote: If you are looking to get made to measure dress shirts, one of the best destinations in the GTA is Spier and Makay. They have their downtown location and also the Mississauga location.
Thanks everyone. I have heard Spiers and Mackay and Brook Brothers as the two places where most have recommended to buy from. Anyone can address any comparison between the two?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6682 posts
6597 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jucius Maximus wrote: If you are looking to get made to measure dress shirts, one of the best destinations in the GTA is Spier and Mackay. They have their downtown location and also the Mississauga location.
I second these guys! Their shirts look great, the fabric is very nice, and customer service is awesome to boot.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20131 posts
4671 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
clumzy1 wrote: Thanks everyone. I have heard Spiers and Mackay and Brook Brothers as the two places where most have recommended to buy from. Anyone can address any comparison between the two?

Thanks
S&M is a small company existing only in the GTA, whereas Brooks Brothers is a very old and big company. I haven't tried the Brooks Brothers product but you are probably in good hands either way.

Once thing I can say is that S&M takes care of their customers and they are active on various clothing forums. I had some miscellaneous small problems with some of their stuff and they fixed it all very easily.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9509 posts
2070 upvotes
Somewhere
I'm a skinny Asian guy, and Brooks Brother's Extra Slim Fit is too loose on me. My go-to is Banana Republic.
:confused:
Penalty Box
Oct 8, 2005
5618 posts
1355 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: I'm a skinny Asian guy, and Brooks Brother's Extra Slim Fit is too loose on me. My go-to is Banana Republic.
Time to do some lifting.

ESF/Milano fit is just about right for me now... if my chest keep expanding I might need new shirts...
Sep 10, 2006
333 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
iEyeCaptain wrote: I'm a skinny Asian guy, and Brooks Brother's Extra Slim Fit is too loose on me. My go-to is Banana Republic.
Are you tall? I find BR to be big for a skinny asian guy...
Banned
Jul 24, 2016
3 posts
I think for the start, you need to basically get 5 to 6 shirts so you can wear them from Monday-Friday and get them drycleaned so that you can alter you wear for the next office days. If you have black strips in a white shirt, then don't go for another black or white shirt with prints. Choose light blue, white, navy blue, black or maybe even a denim formal shirt if you are guy and if you are a girl go for white, peach, baby pink, light blue, when you have colors that you can take care of which imposes that your life is sorted and clean as well as manage.