Ongoing Deal Discussion

Official "Was 20% now 15% off iTunes card" thread: post current deals here

Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1370 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
Any thoughts whether 20% off deals are returning in general? (Or is it like "Stock up if you are Costco member because you won't see 20% again for many months".)
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Oct 30, 2013
56 posts
35 upvotes
Airdrie
Discounts generally seem to be tied to how the Canadian dollar is doing compared to the American dollar. Unless the Canadian dollar gets a lot closer to par than it is now (probably not likely barring another fiscal crisis in the US), I would not expect to see many 20% deals. Even 15% deals were fairly rare in the past year. 10% is the norm now.

The last time Costco had the 20% in-store deal was Nov 27-Dec 7, so I believe this is a twice a year thing and would stock up accordingly.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4950 posts
541 upvotes
Victoria
iTunes is going the way of the dinosaur. It probably won't exist in a few years.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1360 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
dealguy2 wrote: iTunes is going the way of the dinosaur. It probably won't exist in a few years.
Doubt that, the number of people using it is increasing as people cut the cord and buy shows directly.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4950 posts
541 upvotes
Victoria
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Doubt that, the number of people using it is increasing as people cut the cord and buy shows directly.
iTunes sales continue to decline and will decline in a MASSIVE way in 2 weeks time when apple music is launched. Streaming revenues have nearly surpassed downloading in North America and that's already happened in Europe.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1360 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
dealguy2 wrote: iTunes sales continue to decline and will decline in a MASSIVE way in 2 weeks time when apple music is launched. Streaming revenues have nearly surpassed downloading in North America and that's already happened in Europe.
That's music, which was never hugely profitable for Apple, they admitted they ran it for years as a loss leader. TV and movies are where the money is at and it's increasing on iTunes (along with apps.)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4950 posts
541 upvotes
Victoria
The Canterbury Tail wrote: That's music, which was never hugely profitable for Apple, they admitted they ran it for years as a loss leader. TV and movies are where the money is at and it's increasing on iTunes (along with apps.)
That might have been true 10 years ago but believe me they have been scrambling to replace the itune download revenue lost to streamers.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2005
5745 posts
28 upvotes
Surrey
dealguy2 wrote: iTunes sales continue to decline and will decline in a MASSIVE way in 2 weeks time when apple music is launched.
Not everyone uses iTunes gift cards to buy music. A large majority use it to buy apps, games, and in-app services.
Apr 2, 2009
242 posts
136 upvotes
Vancouver
van wrote: Not everyone uses iTunes gift cards to buy music. A large majority use it to buy apps, games, and in-app services.
Same, I buy apps and in-app subscriptions, the odd video and music.

Also if you have an AppleTV and use Netflix, using an iTunes 20% discount card is equivalent to getting 20% off a Netflix subscription.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3136 posts
808 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
wesleyw wrote: Pretty sure you need an active membership, I ordered something a couple of weeks ago and it asked me to add a membership # in order to process an order.

And thanks, just got a pack for $80.
Dang I missed the deal
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1401 posts
1340 upvotes
Montreal
Nothing crazy in that but better than nothing : just noticed today in a BestBuy store that they sell the 4x15$ cards (60$ total) for 55$. Not a time limited promotion, looks like their regular price
Apr 11, 2011
409 posts
129 upvotes
Memramcook
Shopper's Drug Mart 10% off $50 or $100 cards. July 18 to 24.

From Atlantic Canada flyer

Bob
Jan 15, 2013
220 posts
166 upvotes
Midland, ON
This week Checkout 51 has $4 cash back on the purchase of a $50 iTunes card.

I just bought a $50 card at Superstore, where they had coupons on the gift card rack for 10% off your purchase. The last day for the coupons is today (July 30th) but I was able to use the coupon and submit my receipt for Checkout 51 so I basically received 18% off. Probably the best deal we have seen in Canada for these cards lately.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1626 posts
485 upvotes
Canada
MVallee wrote: This week Checkout 51 has $4 cash back on the purchase of a $50 iTunes card.

I just bought a $50 card at Superstore, where they had coupons on the gift card rack for 10% off your purchase. The last day for the coupons is today (July 30th) but I was able to use the coupon and submit my receipt for Checkout 51 so I basically received 18% off. Probably the best deal we have seen in Canada for these cards lately.
the app is now showing July 30 to August 5, 2015 as dates for purchase and uploading of the receipt
Jan 15, 2013
220 posts
166 upvotes
Midland, ON
2Sedins1Cup wrote: the app is now showing July 30 to August 5, 2015 as dates for purchase and uploading of the receipt
Yes the $4 from Checkout 51 is valid from July 30th - August 5th but the coupon that was on the gift card rack is only valid until today, so today would be your only chance to combine the offers unless some other retail puts the cards on sale this week.
Oct 30, 2013
56 posts
35 upvotes
Airdrie
Rexall: 10% off a $50 or $100 card, Aug 7-13