Wheels and Tires

[Official] All-Weather Tire Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 10:15 pm

Poll: Have you owned any of these tires? If so, which one(s) do you recommend?

• Total votes: 135. You have voted on this poll.
Nokian WRG4 or WRG4 SUV

30%
Nordman WR or WR SUV (or Nokian WRG2 / WRG2 SUV)

15%
Nokian Rotiiva AT

1%
Toyo Celsius

16%
Kumho Solus HA31

11%
Hankook Kinergy 4S

1%
Vredstein Quatrac 5

1%
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

13%
Minerva Emi Zero All Weather

1%
Firestone WeatherGrip

10%
Jan 25, 2020
2 posts
Looking for review or advise for all weather tire..Anybody ever hear of Powertrac tires?..they have a weather called Power March, I can get a good deal on them, but cant really find any information on them. Also looking at Celsius Cuv or Khumo HA1.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14398 posts
2902 upvotes
Toronto
Watts1234 wrote: Looking for review or advise for all weather tire..Anybody ever hear of Powertrac tires?..they have a weather called Power March, I can get a good deal on them, but cant really find any information on them. Also looking at Celsius Cuv or Khumo HA1.
Sounds like some low end chinese tire company like westlake. I would stick with something better rated. The Firestone tires seem to have good feedback
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Jan 25, 2020
2 posts
Yes they are Chinese, that’s why I am a little skeptical. Pretty sure I’m going with Khumo HA1
Feb 4, 2020
2 posts
4 upvotes
Just wanting to add another vote for the Firestone Weathergrips.
With the price point of these tires, I can say they perform very well! During the heavy rain and slush on Sunday night and snow on Tuesday here in Vancouver, it felt like I was driving on dry roads. These tires definitely feel better than my previous all season tires (General Tire Altimax RT43, another set of great tires I might add), and road noise isn't any louder in comparison so I'm not sure why others online claim road noise is an issue.
Zero regrets with purchasing these "new to market" tires. I'll update after a few thousand KMs on them. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Nov 30, 2019
80 posts
110 upvotes
Vertilaw wrote: Just wanting to add another vote for the Firestone Weathergrips.
With the price point of these tires, I can say they perform very well! During the heavy rain and slush on Sunday night and snow on Tuesday here in Vancouver, it felt like I was driving on dry roads. These tires definitely feel better than my previous all season tires (General Tire Altimax RT43, another set of great tires I might add), and road noise isn't any louder in comparison so I'm not sure why others online claim road noise is an issue.
Zero regrets with purchasing these "new to market" tires. I'll update after a few thousand KMs on them. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Thanks for the review. I've been interested in these. I'm also in Vancouver, Where did you end up buying them? I saw can tire or quattro tire seems to have a pretty good price.
Feb 4, 2020
2 posts
4 upvotes
Oishiii wrote: Thanks for the review. I've been interested in these. I'm also in Vancouver, Where did you end up buying them? I saw can tire or quattro tire seems to have a pretty good price.
I actually got the Budget Brake and Muffler I service my car at to order them for me. Price was decent and I had to get other things done. They're good to me so they get my business Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7448 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
Nokian WRG3 225/45R18
4th year in service
More than half the tread left at 60000km

Could even get up the driveway yesterday evening (honestly even last year wasn’t that much better whenever it snowed)

Granted these are pretty low profile tires and generally not greatest performer in snow but it is now useless in snow and will definitely be replaced next winter.
Will drive it more in the spring/summer/fall and write them off.

ADDENDUM....I just checked the wear marks and the 6 is still present.
Further confirming the current generations of WRGx are pretty much damn useless except for the guaranteed treadlife. There is no winter performance for me.
Back then I got original WR in 215/45R17 and they were good.
Last edited by ppl4golf on Feb 12th, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2008
47 posts
26 upvotes
ppl4golf wrote: Nokian WRG3 225/45R18
4th year in service
More than half the tread left at 60000km

Could even get up the driveway yesterday evening (honestly even last year wasn’t that much better whenever it snowed)

Granted these are pretty low profile tires and generally not greatest performer in snow but it is now useless in snow and will definitely be replaced next winter.
Will drive it more in the spring/summer/fall and write them off.
That's disappointing to hear as I was considering these for my next all-weather tire.
With taking last year into account, would you say they were fine for winter up to 50,000k?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7448 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
devilsadvocate wrote: That's disappointing to hear as I was considering these for my next all-weather tire.
With taking last year into account, would you say they were fine for winter up to 50,000k?
The first 2 years the usage was low (probably <25000km) .
It was acceptable for first 2 years.
Treadlife is good but that’s the point everyone is focussing on and actually missed. Getting an all-weather shouldn’t be about tread life, it’s about at least be adequate when it actually snows.

Saying that, I did have better experience with the WRG SUV version. They were adequate in winter but the road noise was something else and slight worse fuel efficiency. They do wear it seemed. Useful for 4yr/60000km I would say.
Last edited by ppl4golf on Feb 11th, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7448 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
devilsadvocate wrote: That's disappointing to hear as I was considering these for my next all-weather tire.
What are you using currently and the size?
May 31, 2008
47 posts
26 upvotes
ppl4golf wrote: What are you using currently and the size?
I have the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT 225/70R16. So far I have been very happy with them for the limited amount of snow and ice we've had in the GTA.

Was originally looking at the WRG4 SUV but they worked out to be +$300 more when factoring in the rebate from BFGoodrich, and I had a hard time justifying it at the time since I drive less than 10k a year, with most of that on sideroads.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5833 posts
1358 upvotes
GTA
How well do the all weather age i.e. 25% left or into 7-8th year?

I suspect these wears out faster that AS but there's always the option to grad a second set as dedicated winter.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1257 posts
171 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I scanned 10 pages but didn't see the info I wanted, how are these tires in summer? Do they brake/handle/corner/highway noise as well as decent all season? Firestone can be have for decent price, I figure it add insurance for early or late snow storm or rain storm but only if they're reasonable good in dry.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13379 posts
8345 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Get Potenza RE980AS Bridgestone's Ultra High Performance All-Season tire.
Price is good, performance is good all year round!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!