Wheels and Tires

[Official] All-Weather Tire Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 10:15 pm

Poll: Have you owned any of these tires? If so, which one(s) do you recommend?

• Total votes: 137. You have voted on this poll.
Nokian WRG4 or WRG4 SUV

30%
Nordman WR or WR SUV (or Nokian WRG2 / WRG2 SUV)

15%
Nokian Rotiiva AT

1%
Toyo Celsius

15%
Kumho Solus HA31

12%
Hankook Kinergy 4S

1%
Vredstein Quatrac 5

1%
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

13%
Minerva Emi Zero All Weather

1%
Firestone WeatherGrip

10%
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9244 posts
1388 upvotes
Steven23 wrote: Just wanted to put my own data point on here regarding WRG3. Had it for about 55,000 km and this was to be my third winter with them. Just took them out and they were worse than all seasons. I will say their were acceptable for the second season and good/moderate their first season. Both the first two seasons with them were better than all seasons. I do rotate my tires 10,000km which is more than recommended of 5000km. The tread is not bad still and can be driven three seasons but I am going to buy winter tires for this year.
Still trucking along on my wrg3 on the 3rd winter. Less performance but still better than all seasons. Would still sorta slide around in heavy snow fall. Thin ice and light snow not a problem. Get stuck on snow bank created by shovel truck.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1570 posts
3389 upvotes
I have to buy a set of tires before I take off my winter tires. After doing some research Im thinking of switching to all weather's and getting the Firestone Weathergrip tires.

I found one online tire seller in canada that's selling the weathergrip tires, brand new for $114 CDN a tire, with free delivery.

It seems like a great price for this well reviewed tire.

Debating if I should hold off until Firestone releases their spring rebates, or look into a better all weather tire.

For those that already have these tires, what are your thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5965 posts
2465 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
oj777 wrote: I have to buy a set of tires before I take off my winter tires. After doing some research Im thinking of switching to all weather's and getting the Firestone Weathergrip tires.

I found one online tire seller in canada that's selling the weathergrip tires, brand new for $114 CDN a tire, with free delivery.

It seems like a great price for this well reviewed tire.

Debating if I should hold off until Firestone releases their spring rebates, or look into a better all weather tire.

For those that already have these tires, what are your thoughts?
Been using since Dec. but not alot of mileage in winter conditions.

Ok in snow, fair on ice... so better then all season but not as good as dedicated winters.

That being said ours are on a minivan so might get different results on a lighter vehicle... wait for more opinions.

Price you got is pretty good... we got ours when GM credit card was giving rebate if buy tires from GM garage something like that. Seems to be a promo every so often [certified-service-instant-150-off-new-t ... d-2273220/] This was promo beginning of 2019 and had same at end of 2019.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Dec 20, 2019
17 posts
Just purchased a complete set of Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires at Fountain tire. Sweet price at 15% off and $120 rebate online or through mail. Kind of a strange time to buy all weather tires but my original tires were pretty done. Very pleased with the sales process at Fountain. I know the sale price ends on April 25 but the rebate goes until the end of June.
Dec 20, 2016
74 posts
14 upvotes
daveyboy1 wrote: Just purchased a complete set of Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires at Fountain tire. Sweet price at 15% off and $120 rebate online or through mail. Kind of a strange time to buy all weather tires but my original tires were pretty done. Very pleased with the sales process at Fountain. I know the sale price ends on April 25 but the rebate goes until the end of June.
I got the weatherready two years ago and they're shot now. The traction in rain and snow is very good,but the rolling resistance and bumpy ride when it wears is not worth it.
Dec 20, 2019
17 posts
CHILLPILL123 wrote: I got the weatherready two years ago and they're shot now. The traction in rain and snow is very good,but the rolling resistance and bumpy ride when it wears is not worth it.
That's interesting..... Tirerack seems to have nearly all positive reviews but I appreciate your input!
Apr 25, 2020
1 posts
2 upvotes
I've been eyeing the BFGoodrich Advantage Sport LT tires for a while. Just noticed Canadian Tire has a pretty good deal on them at the moment. Looks to be on sale for $70 off, and another $70 rebate on top. For my 215/70r16, it's $480 for a set . For comparison, the WeatherReady are $732.
Jun 19, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
Need some suggestions.
Honda dealer is giving me Good Year Assurance weather ready tires for $689 with tax and installation. And then I can mail in the $120 rebate. Then it comes out as $569. But in future if I want to do tire rotation Honda will charge $40 each time.

Kaltire quoted me $560 for the Nokian Nordman WR with tax and installation. Kaltire has advantages like free tire rotation everytime I go in and free flat repairs.

Now I am confused which one I should go for? Which tire is better?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1271 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
tanjid111 wrote: Need some suggestions.
Honda dealer is giving me Good Year Assurance weather ready tires for $689 with tax and installation. And then I can mail in the $120 rebate. Then it comes out as $569. But in future if I want to do tire rotation Honda will charge $40 each time.

Kaltire quoted me $560 for the Nokian Nordman WR with tax and installation. Kaltire has advantages like free tire rotation everytime I go in and free flat repairs.

Now I am confused which one I should go for? Which tire is better?
The GY would probably be a bit better in the summer, and the Nokians better in the winter.
I'd personally go with the Nokians if it was average daily run about car (non-high performance, and if it was I wouldn't look at either, I'd get dedicated summers and winters)...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Mar 5, 2017
103 posts
64 upvotes
vancouver
I was about to buy a set of Nordman WR SUV but they are out of stock and discontinued. They are replaced by the Nordman Solstice which has no reviews and no tests. I was told it was the same as the Nokian WRG3 SUV and to check the test result for those.

They show 1 and a half stars for dry pavement braking. How is that possible? Is it true? It sounds like the worst possible tire.

https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/wrg3-s ... estResults
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6240 posts
1907 upvotes
BC
Don't put too much reliance on tire tests. They can often give conflicting impressions of how a particular tire will work out for you.

Can be dependent on the vehicle used in the tests, and your driving style or travel patterns.

And if user opinions are integrated into the results, things get even more convoluted.

The WRG3 SUV is a directional tire, so limits your ability to do rotations - unless you dismount the tire which defeats the main purpose of going with an All Weather.

See this UK test

For sure, any All Weather tire is a compromise, and the Nordman Solstice might be the best choice for you if place a bit more weight on winter performance versus summer.
And you can live with a higher rolling resistance and maybe more noise than competing tires.

My guess would be that dry braking in summer would be acceptable, and the dry cornering capability might be a shortcoming you would notice more.
Mar 5, 2017
103 posts
64 upvotes
vancouver
macnut wrote: Don't put too much reliance on tire tests. They can often give conflicting impressions of how a particular tire will work out for you.

Can be dependent on the vehicle used in the tests, and your driving style or travel patterns.

And if user opinions are integrated into the results, things get even more convoluted.

The WRG3 SUV is a directional tire, so limits your ability to do rotations - unless you dismount the tire which defeats the main purpose of going with an All Weather.

See this UK test

For sure, any All Weather tire is a compromise, and the Nordman Solstice might be the best choice for you if place a bit more weight on winter performance versus summer.
And you can live with a higher rolling resistance and maybe more noise than competing tires.

My guess would be that dry braking in summer would be acceptable, and the dry cornering capability might be a shortcoming you would notice more.
Thanks for the link. I like those results better. I also clicked on their link for the Nokian WR4 tests. They were better than the 3 although the numbers were much different. Snow handling for all tires was 10km slower for the Auto Bild test than the Auto Zeitung test. 52kmh vs 81. I guess the snow was different.

A set of WR4 would cost about $100 more than the Nordmans. I'll probably go that route if they'll answer the phone.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3114 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
I just put on a set of Michelin Cross Climate (205/55r16) from Costco as the price went down ($160/each and with $70 Costco card)...I do have dedicated winters but is interested to see how it will do in light snow...
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Feb 12, 2015
31 posts
5 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks for all the comments, so I have been deciding on All Weather or Not to all All Weather...after reading the last 10 or so pages I will continue to run two sets of tires. Still to many compromises with the All Weather tires...
Feb 14, 2015
93 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
I noticed that no one in this thread mentioned the Firestone Destination AT/2. Are they good tires? Better than the Firestone Weathergrip? I was planning on buying them for my Highlander (24560R18).