Wheels and Tires

[Official] All-Weather Tire Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 10:15 pm

Poll: Have you owned any of these tires? If so, which one(s) do you recommend?

• Total votes: 135. You have voted on this poll.
Nokian WRG4 or WRG4 SUV

30%
Nordman WR or WR SUV (or Nokian WRG2 / WRG2 SUV)

15%
Nokian Rotiiva AT

1%
Toyo Celsius

16%
Kumho Solus HA31

11%
Hankook Kinergy 4S

1%
Vredstein Quatrac 5

1%
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

13%
Minerva Emi Zero All Weather

1%
Firestone WeatherGrip

10%
Aug 1, 2012
894 posts
188 upvotes
Cambridge
Is there any way to use tirelocator.ca to find cheapest price for a tire within a broader region like GTA?
I've seen quite a bit of price variation between dealers but to compare you need to select individual dealer so not really possible to check in a broader region.

Btw, I'm looking at few all-weather options including the Firestones for 235/55/R19.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1062 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
jansh84 wrote: Is there any way to use tirelocator.ca to find cheapest price for a tire within a broader region like GTA?
I've seen quite a bit of price variation between dealers but to compare you need to select individual dealer so not really possible to check in a broader region.

Btw, I'm looking at few all-weather options including the Firestones for 235/55/R19.
Cheapest would probably just be getting the Firestone weathergrips at Quattrotire. Or see if the dealer would match pricing. Looks like there is a $40 rebate on them too.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2148 posts
1182 upvotes
GTA
Hope folks are using the polling option to vote on the Brand/Tires they have experiences on.

I must thank OP taking my suggestion and created the polling which gives a relative picture of what are the best option at a glance.

By the way, we bought the Goodyear Assurance when CT had them on sale plus $100 Rebate from Goodyear itself last year. We drove on them for 1 season; this winter will be the second season (since we still have the regular all season for the non winter days). So far so good.

Thanks again OP.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4428 posts
1896 upvotes
AB
Add MICHELIN CrossClimate to the poll.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1220 posts
1094 upvotes
I see mixed reviews about HA31. Michelin Cross Climate 2 is about 2x price of HA31. Should I install HA31, run them for 2~3 years and get another set of all weather tires, or just purchase the Cross Climate? Living in GVA so didn't expect too much of heavy snow.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1259 posts
572 upvotes
Ontario
I ordered a set of Michelin CrossClimate2's today. Will be here next week though I'm not installing them for another month or so...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Aug 1, 2012
894 posts
188 upvotes
Cambridge
someone16 wrote:
Cheapest would probably just be getting the Firestone weathergrips at Quattrotire. Or see if the dealer would match pricing. Looks like there is a $40 rebate on them too.
Actually Quattro isn't really better.. Firestone on Quattro is $780 tax-in + installation and SimplyTire is $886 tax-in installed so both are kind-of same price after installation.
IcarusLSC wrote: I ordered a set of Michelin CrossClimate2's today. Will be here next week though I'm not installing them for another month or so...
From where?
Jun 10, 2016
237 posts
155 upvotes
Brampton
Considering the Firestone Weathergrips and Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. Got quotes from Goodyear and they are coming in around the same price with Goodyear rebate - if price is similar which would people recommend?

Also, the quotes I'm getting are significant higher than what I'm seeing on here ($1000 installed is the cheapest of the quotes I've got so far) - does that just come down to size? (mine are 235/45/18)? I'm reading others getting Firestone Weathergrips installed for closer to $600 last year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5931 posts
2428 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
muscleflex wrote: Considering the Firestone Weathergrips and Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. Got quotes from Goodyear and they are coming in around the same price with Goodyear rebate - if price is similar which would people recommend?

Also, the quotes I'm getting are significant higher than what I'm seeing on here ($1000 installed is the cheapest of the quotes I've got so far) - does that just come down to size? (mine are 235/45/18)? I'm reading others getting Firestone Weathergrips installed for closer to $600 last year.
The GM Visa has tire rebate every so often... no annual fee, apply, get discount off tires, put credit card in drawer.

Also, check several GM dealerships for prices as they varied greatly when we got last December. Can have installed at GM dealership but do not have to.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Jun 10, 2016
237 posts
155 upvotes
Brampton
georvu wrote: The GM Visa has tire rebate every so often... no annual fee, apply, get discount off tires, put credit card in drawer.

Also, check several GM dealerships for prices as they varied greatly when we got last December. Can have installed at GM dealership but do not have to.
I did check the dealership rates, but it was significantly higher ..

any thoughts on these two tires? leaning towards the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready as it seems to be the better deal with rebate..
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5931 posts
2428 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
GM visa has up to $100 rebate (10%) but have seen better.

Have weathergrips and works well for us [not as good as best winters but better then best all season]. This is for a vehicle driven for short distances in/around city with little highway.

Check tirerack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyre ... ?type=GTAS

Both Weathergrip and Weatherready get excellent in Winter/Snow.

Way more miles reported on Weatherready so if getting better price on that then suggest get those.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Jun 10, 2016
237 posts
155 upvotes
Brampton
georvu wrote: GM visa has up to $100 rebate (10%) but have seen better.

Have weathergrips and works well for us [not as good as best winters but better then best all season]. This is for a vehicle driven for short distances in/around city with little highway.

Check tirerack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyre ... ?type=GTAS

Both Weathergrip and Weatherready get excellent in Winter/Snow.

Way more miles reported on Weatherready so if getting better price on that then suggest get those.
thanks - think that's what I'll do!
Apr 3, 2010
448 posts
475 upvotes
I live in Toronto, and don't need to drive during a snowstorm. I have the luxury of being able to wait till roads are cleared. I've been looking at all-weather tires, but haven't really been satisfied with any of them. I've finally decided to go with the Continental CrossContact LX25. It doesn't have the 3PMSF symbol, but it's winter performance is still equal to, or better than the Michelin CrossClimate SUV (in Tire Rack testing). On top of that, it has really good tread life, and should drive well on dry and wet roads. Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone is in a similar situation. Keep in mind that if I had to commute to work in a blizzard, my choice would have been different.
Jul 16, 2020
130 posts
23 upvotes
i heard nokian wrg4 wears quickly , any better options for allweather tires with snowflake symbol?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1259 posts
572 upvotes
Ontario
Onlyuo wrote: i heard nokian wrg4 wears quickly , any better options for allweather tires with snowflake symbol?
I didn't say they wear quickly in that other post, I said they wear a little faster then all-seasons from all I've seen/been told and read, and less (better) then winters. An All-season for the most part will outlast an all-weather from what I've seen, but by how much varies a lot on tire choice, driving style and conditions, vehicle...
·Ï¢årµ§·