Wheels and Tires

[Official] All-Weather Tire Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 11:50 am

Poll: Have you owned any of these tires? If so, which one(s) do you recommend?

• Total votes: 135. You have voted on this poll.
Nokian WRG4 or WRG4 SUV

30%
Nordman WR or WR SUV (or Nokian WRG2 / WRG2 SUV)

15%
Nokian Rotiiva AT

1%
Toyo Celsius

16%
Kumho Solus HA31

11%
Hankook Kinergy 4S

1%
Vredstein Quatrac 5

1%
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

13%
Minerva Emi Zero All Weather

1%
Firestone WeatherGrip

10%
Jul 16, 2020
130 posts
23 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: I didn't say they wear quickly in that other post, I said they wear a little faster then all-seasons from all I've seen/been told and read, and less (better) then winters. An All-season for the most part will outlast an all-weather from what I've seen, but by how much varies a lot on tire choice, driving style and conditions, vehicle...
ok
Jul 16, 2020
130 posts
23 upvotes
the cc2 only comes with 16inch and up
Jun 10, 2016
237 posts
155 upvotes
Brampton
just wanted to report back that I had my Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires installed on my 2012 Buick Verano on Saturday. I live in the GTA and don't do a lot of winter driving (also have a very short work commute). I still had the original 9 year old tires on my car and after reading through this thread decided it was worth a little more to get the allweather tires since I never swap out to winters anyway. My biggest concern was sacrificing dry condition comfort/noise/feeling different than my allseasons. I'm happy to report back that so far they are great! Absolutely no difference in noise/steering feel from my regular allseasons. Obviously I haven't been able to test them on snow/ice yet, but I am fairly confident that I will be quite impressed with their performance. My parents have been driving around on these and the guy at the garage that installed them says he has them and that they are great. Also saved about $120/yr on insurance since they have the winter symbol!

Just wanted to provide this update for anyone looking into the tires..
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2147 posts
1179 upvotes
GTA
muscleflex wrote: just wanted to report back that I had my Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires installed on my 2012 Buick Verano on Saturday. I live in the GTA and don't do a lot of winter driving (also have a very short work commute). I still had the original 9 year old tires on my car and after reading through this thread decided it was worth a little more to get the allweather tires since I never swap out to winters anyway. My biggest concern was sacrificing dry condition comfort/noise/feeling different than my allseasons. I'm happy to report back that so far they are great! Absolutely no difference in noise/steering feel from my regular allseasons. Obviously I haven't been able to test them on snow/ice yet, but I am fairly confident that I will be quite impressed with their performance. My parents have been driving around on these and the guy at the garage that installed them says he has them and that they are great. Also saved about $120/yr on insurance since they have the winter symbol!

Just wanted to provide this update for anyone looking into the tires..
I don't think you will regret; I also decided to get the Assurance 2 years ago based on this

As said in my earlier post, we did not have any issues last winter with them.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Apr 3, 2010
448 posts
475 upvotes
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady is on sale till mid-October at Canadian Tire. $200 off a set of four. Coupled with the $100 mail-in rebate, that's quite a compelling deal. I don't trust them to touch my car, though. Anyone have experience with a good installer? I live near the 401 and Leslie.

Edit: No scratch that. I'll probably just have someone else, like KalTire or Active Green Ross, price-match it, and install it too.
Mar 19, 2018
107 posts
107 upvotes
DragOnT wrote:
I don't think you will regret; I also decided to get the Assurance 2 years ago based on this

As said in my earlier post, we did not have any issues last winter with them.

Thanks for posting that youtube link. I'm a bit torn on what do now lol

Hotdiggety wrote: Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady is on sale till mid-October at Canadian Tire. $200 off a set of four. Coupled with the $100 mail-in rebate, that's quite a compelling deal. I don't trust them to touch my car, though. Anyone have experience with a good installer? I live near the 401 and Leslie.

Edit: No scratch that. I'll probably just have someone else, like KalTire or Active Green Ross, price-match it, and install it too.

Saw this deal as well and coupled with DragOnT and musleflex's reviews I was seriously considering the WeatherReadys as this price is pretty compelling. With all discounts it's like half the cost of new Toyo Celcius tires. I've had Celcius tires for the last 3 years and been pretty happy with them though. Roadnoise on them is negligible, handling is good, winter performance was very good for the first two years, a bit less so in the third. My concern with the WeatherReadys is reading articles with comments like this:

"...the winter tire traction standard is low and out of date, it was relatively simple to add the mountain and snowflake logo to many current tires. Consequently, the tire makers have branded some former all-season tires as all-weather tires."

https://www.moneysense.ca/spend/shoppin ... es-review/

http://www.apa.ca/all-weather-tires.asp

It looks like these tires were all seasons rebranded as all-weather? (maybe someone can correct me if that's wrong) Nokian WRG4 and Toyo Celcius seem to be the highest rated all-weathers. I think if I lived on the West coast or even in Toronto where real heavy snow days happen much less I'd jump on these tires especially at the Canadian Tire price. However, I live in Ottawa where we get a lot more snow and ice and so it makes me hesitant to try them. Does anyone else have the Goodyears and have feedback on them living somewhere like Ottawa or Montreal? Thanks
Aug 17, 2006
293 posts
251 upvotes
gymchamp wrote: Thanks for posting that youtube link. I'm a bit torn on what do now lol

Saw this deal as well and coupled with DragOnT and musleflex's reviews I was seriously considering the WeatherReadys as this price is pretty compelling. With all discounts it's like half the cost of new Toyo Celcius tires. I've had Celcius tires for the last 3 years and been pretty happy with them though. Roadnoise on them is negligible, handling is good, winter performance was very good for the first two years, a bit less so in the third. My concern with the WeatherReadys is reading articles with comments like this:

"...the winter tire traction standard is low and out of date, it was relatively simple to add the mountain and snowflake logo to many current tires. Consequently, the tire makers have branded some former all-season tires as all-weather tires."

https://www.moneysense.ca/spend/shoppin ... es-review/

http://www.apa.ca/all-weather-tires.asp

It looks like these tires were all seasons rebranded as all-weather? (maybe someone can correct me if that's wrong) Nokian WRG4 and Toyo Celcius seem to be the highest rated all-weathers. I think if I lived on the West coast or even in Toronto where real heavy snow days happen much less I'd jump on these tires especially at the Canadian Tire price. However, I live in Ottawa where we get a lot more snow and ice and so it makes me hesitant to try them. Does anyone else have the Goodyears and have feedback on them living somewhere like Ottawa or Montreal? Thanks
Well, I probably will end up confusing you more but here's my bit. And I'm in the BC so doesn't compare to your winters. However, I've been a fan of All Weathers for many years. I had my first set of Goodyear Tripletreds (when they were considered all weathers) many years ago; I will say while they were okay when new, they were horrible near end towards latter half of life of the tire. Perhaps Goodyear improved but you'll find mostly that they are not rated as high as Nokian, Toyo or MIchelins. For that reason, for me, I would not consider Goodyear and went with other brands.

I can tell you, I currently have Toyo Celcius on my car going on 3rd winter that replaced the Goodyears; I would say they are solid and even wear but heavy feel but hasn't been pushed hard in BC winter. Now, I have also had the Nokian WRG4 for 2 winters on my other vehicle; again not pushed hard but let me tell one incident where it actually snowed heavily last year so got about 5-10 cms of fresh snow on the ground. Got up a steep incline without much problems which was amazing! (Had to test the tires!) One incident so purely subjective but been impressed with WRG4 and the tire feels more normal to regular all seasons compared to Toyos. Also, I believe they provide better gas mileage as they are low roll resistance (I'd say they would be about the same or 5 % more gas consumption than OEM tires vs. Toyo Celcius which are heavier tread so your gas mileage may be not be as good as all season tires. If you want to be clinical about it, the increase in gas consumption over lifespan of the tires may actually pay off the difference between the initial cost of the tires. But I think both are good so for my experience I would stick with Nokian or Toyo. Would also consider the Michelin Crossclimate as well but no experience other than a handful of reviews but they look promising and I may consider them for future vehicles.
Mar 19, 2018
107 posts
107 upvotes
jammin825 wrote: Well, I probably will end up confusing you more but here's my bit. And I'm in the BC so doesn't compare to your winters. However, I've been a fan of All Weathers for many years. I had my first set of Goodyear Tripletreds (when they were considered all weathers) many years ago; I will say while they were okay when new, they were horrible near end towards latter half of life of the tire. Perhaps Goodyear improved but you'll find mostly that they are not rated as high as Nokian, Toyo or MIchelins. For that reason, for me, I would not consider Goodyear and went with other brands.

I can tell you, I currently have Toyo Celcius on my car going on 3rd winter that replaced the Goodyears; I would say they are solid and even wear but heavy feel but hasn't been pushed hard in BC winter. Now, I have also had the Nokian WRG4 for 2 winters on my other vehicle; again not pushed hard but let me tell one incident where it actually snowed heavily last year so got about 5-10 cms of fresh snow on the ground. Got up a steep incline without much problems which was amazing! (Had to test the tires!) One incident so purely subjective but been impressed with WRG4 and the tire feels more normal to regular all seasons compared to Toyos. Also, I believe they provide better gas mileage as they are low roll resistance (I'd say they would be about the same or 5 % more gas consumption than OEM tires vs. Toyo Celcius which are heavier tread so your gas mileage may be not be as good as all season tires. If you want to be clinical about it, the increase in gas consumption over lifespan of the tires may actually pay off the difference between the initial cost of the tires. But I think both are good so for my experience I would stick with Nokian or Toyo. Would also consider the Michelin Crossclimate as well but no experience other than a handful of reviews but they look promising and I may consider them for future vehicles.
haha nah not more confused. More informed :) I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed response! Despite the price on the Goodyears at Canadian Tire I think for Ottawa winters I'm better off with a different tire. I'm leaning towards just continuing with Toyo Celcius since I've been happy with them the last 3 years. Though am now also considering the WRG4s and Michelins.

Interesting about the gas mileage on the WRG4s vs Toyo. I didn't realize they might be better. Honestly thought it would have been the reverse. Good to know! What about road noise when comparing the two? I find the Toyos to be no issue at all for noise and had read that the WRGs were much louder (which is why I chose the Toyos 3 years ago). If the gas mileage is better AND slightly improved traction in snow then I might lean towards the Nokians for my next tires.

What about tread wear for your WRG4s vs Toyos? I got my current Toyos in the summer of 2017. So three winters so far. First two years the winter driving performance was good. Last year it felt sketchier. I need to measure them more accurately and check the exact mileage but I think they're at 5/32nds and I've put about 50 000 kms on them. This is on a 2008 Elantra. I'm curious if the WRGs would be better wear wise?

About the Michelins I've also read good things about them. Consumer reports rated them the best all weather tire in 2018 https://tiresvote.com/articles/consumer ... ires-2018/

And when it comes to wet braking both new and when the tires are worn they earned top marks with the Toyos and WRG's all the way at the bottom. https://www.kianiroforum.com/threads/an ... ires.8653/ (see the second last post in this thread) Where I live I care about these more for snow and find the wet performance of the Toyos okay but those results don't surprise me. Sometimes after just a bit of rain if I'm at a stop sign and accelerate too quickly my wheels will spin esp now as the Toyos are more worn.

Does anyone have any more RECENT reviews for the Michelins? Curious to see more info on how they compare to the Toyos and Nokians.
Aug 17, 2006
293 posts
251 upvotes
gymchamp wrote: haha nah not more confused. More informed :) I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed response! Despite the price on the Goodyears at Canadian Tire I think for Ottawa winters I'm better off with a different tire. I'm leaning towards just continuing with Toyo Celcius since I've been happy with them the last 3 years. Though am now also considering the WRG4s and Michelins.

Interesting about the gas mileage on the WRG4s vs Toyo. I didn't realize they might be better. Honestly thought it would have been the reverse. Good to know! What about road noise when comparing the two? I find the Toyos to be no issue at all for noise and had read that the WRGs were much louder (which is why I chose the Toyos 3 years ago). If the gas mileage is better AND slightly improved traction in snow then I might lean towards the Nokians for my next tires.

What about tread wear for your WRG4s vs Toyos? I got my current Toyos in the summer of 2017. So three winters so far. First two years the winter driving performance was good. Last year it felt sketchier. I need to measure them more accurately and check the exact mileage but I think they're at 5/32nds and I've put about 50 000 kms on them. This is on a 2008 Elantra. I'm curious if the WRGs would be better wear wise?

About the Michelins I've also read good things about them. Consumer reports rated them the best all weather tire in 2018 https://tiresvote.com/articles/consumer ... ires-2018/

And when it comes to wet braking both new and when the tires are worn they earned top marks with the Toyos and WRG's all the way at the bottom. https://www.kianiroforum.com/threads/an ... ires.8653/ (see the second last post in this thread) Where I live I care about these more for snow and find the wet performance of the Toyos okay but those results don't surprise me. Sometimes after just a bit of rain if I'm at a stop sign and accelerate too quickly my wheels will spin esp now as the Toyos are more worn.

Does anyone have any more RECENT reviews for the Michelins? Curious to see more info on how they compare to the Toyos and Nokians.
Road noise is hard to say but I would say when I switched out the WRG (I am actually using them as winters until my OEM are dead which is pretty much this year; have swapped 2 times now), I notice less of difference in noise with regular OEM ones. They feel a bit heavier but not by much. Celsius I can't say because they are my only set and the only thing I noticed was that the car now has a heavier feel on the road. Otherwise, noise wise, I don't think I have been concerned they are loud for both tires.

I've only put about 15 to 20k on both Celsius and WRG so tough to judge wear. I think both are rated for 95k but I doubt either of them would last that long. They still look pretty good but haven't measured. If I had to go between the two, I think I would pick WRG4 due to the low rolling resistance and over the lifetime of the tires, I think they will pay for the difference in fuel vs. Celsius. If I could go back, I think I would have gone with WRG4 even though it was more expensive back when both were considered.

All things point to good things about Michelins and they just released the version 2 which someone pointed to above. Always eyed Michelins and I think they are one of the best tires in the market (both Kal Tires and Costco has them) so I will likely try them on my next car. If you can take advantage of the Michelin rebate which I believe they offered earlier in the month or in August, I think they are the ones to beat. WRG4 rebate usually happens early in July/August I found so you have to jump on those quick or else right now you pay full price during the winter months. But who knows with COVID and manufacturers may want our business more so rebates may come back during the season?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1220 posts
1094 upvotes
I’ll be getting my CC2 on Monday. Purchased from Quattro last week with 7% off + $100 rebate + no 7% PST to BC. The tire was $215/ea now it’s around $750 all in. Now Michelin official CC2 rebate is over so you have to wait for Costco’s rebate
crimsona wrote: Cross Climate 2 now available on Costco.ca, cheaper than Cross Climate Plus at the 205/55/16 size but more expensive at the 205/60/16 (only XL available)

Waiting for a Michelin rebate now
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1257 posts
570 upvotes
Ontario
I dunno when I should put the CrossClimate2's I bought on my car. They are sitting in the basement right now waiting for cooler weather and me to burn the rest of my tread off the tires I have (about 4-5/32's left.) I already paid for install, just need to book it. Got them locally for cheaper then anywhere else I saw advertised and got the $100 rebate as well, so happy with the price at least...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
2005 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
naticom wrote: I’ll be getting my CC2 on Monday. Purchased from Quattro last week with 7% off + $100 rebate + no 7% PST to BC. The tire was $215/ea now it’s around $750 all in. Now Michelin official CC2 rebate is over so you have to wait for Costco’s rebate
Wondering why costco.ca does not have a rebate on Mitchellin yet as it's already offerred on the manufacturer's website. Where do you get your tires installed professionally and how much would it cost? I'm wondering if it's possible to buy from Quatrro and get it installed at Costco? Is it better to buy the tires from costco for the warranty? https://tires.costco.ca/RoadHazardWarra ... lang=en-CA