Home & Garden

The Official Bonsai Tree Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2014 11:24 am

Poll: Do you make or buy Bonsai?

  • Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Sep 3, 2009
474 posts
6 upvotes
GTA

The Official Bonsai Tree Thread

Since there isn't an official thread for Bonsai tree's i figured i might as well start one.


Post questions, photos and anything else Bonsai Tree related here. :cheesygri
27 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 4, 2003
4731 posts
196 upvotes
Any recommedations on a store with a good selection of bonsai trees in Toronto?
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Sep 3, 2009
474 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
gretzky99 wrote: Any recommedations on a store with a good selection of bonsai trees in Toronto?
www.kimsnature.ca

this place is amazing, they have a large variety and great quality. i also keep an eye out for stuff at walmart sometimes they have a clearance sale and you can get stuff for $5. I got a ficus for that price, you cant even get a pot for $5 lol :lol:
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 19, 2007
582 posts
32 upvotes
Markham
Is money tree considering bonsai?
I bought a big money tree from walmart 1.5 yrs ago, I feel like the tree did not grow any bigger, but less leaves now. :(
Newbie
Oct 29, 2007
32 posts
Toronto
love bonsai. i prefer the outdoor ones such as the japanese maples.would like it to be a hobby but a bit pricey..
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Sep 3, 2009
474 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
reeboot wrote: love bonsai. i prefer the outdoor ones such as the japanese maples.would like it to be a hobby but a bit pricey..
you should learn how to make them yourself, its pretty cheap when you do it yourself. you can use almost any tree. Keep in mind theres no such thing as a bonsai tree in nature. you need to keep it that way otherwise it will just grow into a regular tree :)
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Sep 3, 2009
474 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
purplesnow22 wrote: Is money tree considering bonsai?
I bought a big money tree from walmart 1.5 yrs ago, I feel like the tree did not grow any bigger, but less leaves now. :(
hmm, thats kinda on the top of the fence. Some people say yes, some say no.
Sr. Member
Mar 7, 2009
780 posts
12 upvotes
I really like the first one, are they Maples?

In the past I have tried to make a bonsai by getting a shrub from a garden center and cutting trimming it to look like a tree. I believe I started with a potetallia (sp) because it has small leaves. They always died on me. I think it was because I would cut too much of the roots off at once.

Any thoughs on how to make a bonsai this way?

Thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 4, 2003
4731 posts
196 upvotes
i've had bad luck with bonsai.
No matter what i try, water it well, don't water it well, sunlight, no sunlight etc...they only last for a few months.
What is an easy to care for, low maintenance bonsai plant (for indoors only) out there?
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Sep 3, 2009
474 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
gretzky99 wrote: i've had bad luck with bonsai.
No matter what i try, water it well, don't water it well, sunlight, no sunlight etc...they only last for a few months.
What is an easy to care for, low maintenance bonsai plant (for indoors only) out there?
usually everyone recommends juniper. its a very hearty tree and can take all the above pretty well as long as its not neglected

[IMG]http://home-and-gardening.info/wp-conte ... bonsai.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/ ... Detail.jpg[/IMG]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 9, 2005
761 posts
7 upvotes
I have a number of bonsai for sale if anyone is interested. Mostly indoor/tropical

for sale:

Japanese maples
Sweet Acacia
Chinese Sweet Plum
Chinese elm
Ficus retusa
Mulberry tree
Bougainvillea
etc.

message me for details
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 9, 2005
761 posts
7 upvotes
gretzky99 wrote: i've had bad luck with bonsai.
No matter what i try, water it well, don't water it well, sunlight, no sunlight etc...they only last for a few months.
What is an easy to care for, low maintenance bonsai plant (for indoors only) out there?
Best Bonsai for indoors are:

Ficus (very easy)
Schleffera (so Easy)
Chinese Elm (easy but prefers outdoors)

The caveat of course that watering (the most common reason bonsai are killed - i.e. watered to frequently) is correct and ample light is provided. Most bonsai need supplemental lighting and by that Compact fluorescent light bulbs are best and cost effective. A small fan and humidity trey are additional pluses but not as important was watering and light.

Watering: Its always better to under water than overwater. Root will rot if kept constantly wet. Rule of thumb is to let the top 1-2 cm of soil dry out before watering usually.
bLaCkLyCaNtHrOpy wrote: usually everyone recommends juniper. its a very hearty tree and can take all the above pretty well as long as its not neglected

[IMG]http://home-and-gardening.info/wp-conte ... bonsai.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/ ... Detail.jpg[/IMG]
Junipers are very common bonsai trees, but there is one HUGE problem with them. They are meant to be OUTDOOR trees. They are guaranteed to die of kept indoors (need humidity of outside and air movement). Houses normally are very dry and lack air circulation.

*********Stay away from Junipers if your looking to keep them indoors.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2796 posts
2853 upvotes
I came across a post on reddit of a user showing off his bonsai tree. I am now intrigued as a hobby.

http://www.reddit.com/comments/bvgrc

I also found the link to the show in May and plan to intend (if i'm still intrigued in a month's time). As a noob/beginner, what should I look for in buying a plant/starter kit to start (ie pot, type of plant, soil, humidity trey, etc). If it helps, I'm looking to grow an indoor (how do ppl grow it outdoor while avoiding insects?) plant and have it placed next to a window to get it's sunlight. How much should I expect to spend. I am very intrigued at the mini fruit trees as well, like the apple/cherry one. Will one year of training get me ready to grow one of those?

Btw, anyone have links or recommendations that I could read up.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 9, 2005
761 posts
7 upvotes
Tilter wrote: I came across a post on reddit of a user showing off his bonsai tree. I am now intrigued as a hobby.

http://www.reddit.com/comments/bvgrc

I also found the link to the show in May and plan to intend (if i'm still intrigued in a month's time). As a noob/beginner, what should I look for in buying a plant/starter kit to start (ie pot, type of plant, soil, humidity trey, etc). If it helps, I'm looking to grow an indoor (how do ppl grow it outdoor while avoiding insects?) plant and have it placed next to a window to get it's sunlight. How much should I expect to spend. I am very intrigued at the mini fruit trees as well, like the apple/cherry one. Will one year of training get me ready to grow one of those?

Btw, anyone have links or recommendations that I could read up.
I've been doing bonsai for 2 years now and love it. Gardening in any form seems to be therapeutic.

Anyways, to your questions: I would recommend the following types of trees if your looking for something that is easy to care for indoors and require little in the ways of excessive care (from easiest to hardest):

1. Schefflera arb. - Umbrella tree
2. Ficus Retusa - aka Fig tree
3. Ulmus Parvifolia - Chinese elm

Anything outside of these will be more difficult to maintain indoors. Please be aware that bonsai trees, are just regular trees kept in miniature form with pruning. As such, all tree will flourish outside, but tropical trees need to be brought indoors in the fall and kept UNDER LIGHTING and have some moisture (i.e. humidity tray) and wind (i.e. fan) to keep them viable. ***By the way, if there is no wind, the risk of insect infestation increases. Your in essence keeping a tree in a dry, arid environment with no natural predators if you keep them indoors.

This hobby requires daily observation for pests, soil moisture, and fertilization. It as such, requires patience, keen observation, and ongoing learning.

Trees can vary in price from anywhere between $5-7 for seedlings to thousands of dollars for Specimen type trees (essentially picture perfect). For a beginner I would say anywhere between $5-50 would be ok, but that depends on you.

Mini fruit trees are usually outdoor bonsai, and fruit production will only occur usually as such. These trees also seem to be more difficult to locate and as such are usually higher in price.

Serrisa and Fukien Tea trees while beautiful, are both notoriously difficult to care for. Take that as a warning. Juniper trees, which you see sold everywhere, should NEVER be kept indoors, they will die guaranteed.

One of the hardest things with bonsai is learning to water your tree. Potted environment is much different than being grown in the ground and as such, many tree dies due to OVERWATERING, which causes root rot. The Japanese say it takes 2-3 years to learn how to water properly. I would have to agree.
Newbie
Feb 8, 2011
1 posts
I am trying to find out where to purchase an indoor bonsai tree - does anyone have any suggestions?
Sr. Member
Feb 20, 2011
618 posts
201 upvotes
downtown TO
[email protected] wrote: I am trying to find out where to purchase an indoor bonsai tree - does anyone have any suggestions?

got mine in homedepo for $35 have it 6 months now

Top