Sports & Recreation

**Official Boxing Thread** - Joshua vs Ngannou (Fri Mar 8 - 10:20AM ET DAZN)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2024 7:40 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto

**Official Boxing Thread** - Joshua vs Ngannou (Fri Mar 8 - 10:20AM ET DAZN)

**Lets make this RFD's official boxing thread where we can discuss all aspects of the sweet science**
Last edited by ji2o0k on Mar 3rd, 2024 10:16 am, edited 162 times in total.
1541 replies
Nov 30, 2003
47 posts
1 upvote
Ex fought like a machine on Saturday. He absolutely dissected Antonio with masterful feints, a tight defense, and mugging on the inside. Not to mention his lightning-fast straight and overhand rights!

I especially loved that sequence at the end of the 9th round (I think?) when Tarver missed a wild looping hook, and Bernard bounced off the ropes, grinned, shrugged at the crowd, and then bum-rushed the Magic Man back into the ropes with a shoe-shine flurry! The crowd ate it up! At 41, I think he may have truly and finally won over boxing fans. Good for him.

As for him hanging up the gloves, I too can see Ex fight one more time if the the conditions are to his liking. He's always been big on history and legacy in boxing, so I can't see him coming back if its to fight RandomJoe01, even if he gets paid $10mil. It'll probably take something like a Roy Jones II to get him back. Otherwise I see him being quite content doing his promotional work with Golden Boy.

As for this weekend's fight, I also love both fighters and will try to remain a neutral fan. A knockout is pretty unlikely in this one, when you factor in Winky's airtight D and average punching power. Should be interesting nonetheless!

Where are they fighting again? I figure the venue location may go a long way in dictating who gets the rounds and perhaps ultimately the decision ...
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
damn, I have to wait until TSN replays it on TV to watch the Hopkins vs. Tarver fight. Just from reading the summary on ESPN, sounds like a very exciting fight. Well actually more one-sided as Tarver was reported to be slow, sluggish etc. Could be because he lost all that weight ? Similiar to Roy Jones Jr ?

Wright and Taylor are fighting in Memphis, Tenn. The live fight will be shown on HBO.

Good call on the no knock-outs. Winky is superb on D and doesn't have that punching power. But this will be a very technical fight I think. Should be interesting !
Nov 30, 2003
47 posts
1 upvote
ji2o0k wrote:damn, I have to wait until TSN replays it on TV to watch the Hopkins vs. Tarver fight. Just from reading the summary on ESPN, sounds like a very exciting fight.

Wright and Taylor are fighting in Memphis, Tenn. The live fight will be shown on HBO.
Whoops, sorry to spoil anything for ya. But yeah, watch out for the end of the 9th round, hehe. It was hilarity!

Is the upcoming fight regular HBO or PPV?

Also, did anyone catch Cotto-Malignaggi? Stupid boxing, having 2 PPV's on the same day ...
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
joshtang10 wrote:Whoops, sorry to spoil anything for ya. But yeah, watch out for the end of the 9th round, hehe. It was hilarity!

Is the upcoming fight regular HBO or PPV?

Also, did anyone catch Cotto-Malignaggi? Stupid boxing, having 2 PPV's on the same day ...
No worries man, I am reading about the whole fight online, so doesn't really matter. Yeah they mentioned about the Tarver looping punch missing, Ex spinning, grinning and shrugging. Awesome.

I read that Malignaggi suffered a broken orbital bone and a possible broken jaw from that fight. Cotto is amazing.
Jul 15, 2003
797 posts
5 upvotes
yeah.. i'll be watching for sure... prolly the same place i watch the hopkins/tarver fight

i watched the hopkins/tarver fight at shoeless joe's.... but it was pretty hard to find one that showed this and not the edmonton/carlonia game

but with the evisceration of tarver.... what does that say about roy jones losing twice to tarver??
Dec 17, 2003
265 posts
17 upvotes
Scarborough
the taylor vs wright fight will be on TSN at 11:00 pm. Wont be live but at least its not PPV.
Nov 30, 2003
47 posts
1 upvote
botai wrote:yeah.. i'll be watching for sure... prolly the same place i watch the hopkins/tarver fight

i watched the hopkins/tarver fight at shoeless joe's.... but it was pretty hard to find one that showed this and not the edmonton/carlonia game

but with the evisceration of tarver.... what does that say about roy jones losing twice to tarver??
Honestly, not too much. Styles truly make fights.

I think RJJ, prime or faded, would have had some degree of difficulty against the style of Tarver. Antonio not only tall, he fights tall (i.e. using a good jab, standing straight) and has a pretty stingy and quick defense.

The Magic Man, on the other hand, I think matched up poorly with Ex. For instance, Bernard always, always, always makes you fight his methodical, low-risk style of fight, with the most recent examples being Trinidad, Joppy, De la Hoya, Taylor, and now Tarver. Tarver himself relies on countering. That's how he starched RJJ in their second fight, and stunned him badly in the 11th in their third fight (interestingly, I noticed that he wasn't looking at Roy with either defining punch - lucky lands, perhaps?) He isn't, and was never close to being on the same technical or tactical level as B-Hop. Thus, his strengths ended up being his weaknesses on Saturday.

Probably his only hope was to either land a lucky punch, or outmuscle Hopkins. Too bad Bernard came into the fight in incredible shape! He even looked bigger than Tonio :cheesygri

[IMG]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ ... 12x360.jpg[/IMG]
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
If Oscar was naturally bigger he would've beat B-Hop. He was winning the fight until the body blow. Oscar just doesn't have it in his arsenal to hurt B-Hop.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Nov 30, 2003
47 posts
1 upvote
Irb wrote:If Oscar was naturally bigger he would've beat B-Hop. He was winning the fight until the body blow. Oscar just doesn't have it in his arsenal to hurt B-Hop.
Really? I had Bernard up a few points prior to the knockout. And I'm not entirely certain Oscar would beat him even if he was bigger. Bernard's technically brilliant, a true ring general, and Oscar likely would have fought the same type of fight whether he bulked up or boiled down. If he had to do the latter, his notoriously poor stamina would be even worse. Instead of starting to fade in the 5th-6th round like in the fight, I can see him sucking wind even earlier than that.

And I highly doubt that he knocks Hopkins out as a smaller or bigger man. The guy's got a great chin; Trinidad actually managed to left hook him a few times in their bout, and Nard went NOWHERE! Sure, Oscar knocked out Mayorga, but that was more a combination of counter-punching a wild-swinging brawler, Ricardo's non-existent defense, and Trinidad softening him up a bout earlier :twisted: :twisted:

This ought to be converted to a boxing thread or something, since RFD seems to be lacking one.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
so I decided to make this the official boxing talk thread on RFD. Couldn't find a previous thread like this so if you want to keep this one, just bump it.

Now on to the action. Who watched the Taylor vs Wright fight ? I watched the first few rounds on TSN at 11ish ET on that Saturday night. But I had to wake up early the next morning so didn't watch the whole thing.

So the match was a draw. From the first few rounds that I saw, it was definitely a very close match which was expected. But I am reading that Wright believes he was robbed and won't fight a re-match. Actually during negotiations Wright didn't want a re-match anyways I think and the only if Wright won would there be a re-match.

You guys think they will fight again ? I would definitely want to see that. Probably for the right price they will.
Nov 30, 2003
47 posts
1 upvote
Yay, a boxing thread.

I saw the fight. It was pretty action packed, with a fairly boisterous albeit small crowd. Given the magnitude of this fight (it was for the undisputed middleweight crown) I would've expected more attention and spectators. Though, I did hear rumblings of overly-inflated prices for tickets, which consequently led to all those empty seats.

In my opinion, Winky won by a few points. It was a pretty even battle with a lot of close rounds, and there were even a few bits of drama added in, namely the swelling shut of Jermain's left eye. It was probably the product of Jermain opting to use his face as his defense all night.

Overall though, it wasn't far fetched that a draw occurred.

Also, I felt the announcing was particularly biased in this fight. Everytime Jermain threw any punch of significance, Jim Lampley would have a joygasm or something and scream "Taylor with a blistering 4-punch combination that stops Winky RIGHT in his tracks!" followed meekly by a "Winky comes right back ..." So I can see how those who watched on HBO and listening to the commentators could feel that Jermain was winning, when the reality was that many of his punches were landing somewhere on Winky's guard (i.e. his gloves, arms, elbows, etc.)

I can definitely understand that its difficult to spot blazing fast shots that land and those that miss on a guy who almost always has his hands up, like Winky does. But honestly, I find that judges, when scoring defense in boxing, give much more credit to punches that completely miss the fighter vs. punches that hit the fighter's defensive guard. It can be difficult for fighters with styles like Winky to get their fair shake. Couple that with them being in Memphis, and Jermain being the reigning champ, and Winky was pretty much fighting an uphill battle to win the judges over.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
joshtang10 wrote:It can be difficult for fighters with styles like Winky to get their fair shake. Couple that with them being in Memphis, and Jermain being the reigning champ, and Winky was pretty much fighting an uphill battle to win the judges over.
From ESPN:
Wright, so upset with the decision, said he didn't want to fight Taylor again.

"What do you expect. I'm in [essentially] his hometown," Wright, 34, said. "They gave him what he wanted. I don't want no rematch," he said. "There are other fights out there. The fans know who won the fight."

Good point, exactly how Wright felt and commented after the match. When I was watching the first few rounds, Taylor kept his hands/guard so low. Wright was just peppering him with his jab since his hands were so low.

I was reading on ESPN that near the end of the 12th round, Wright wasn't punching and just moving around.......I think that was a mistake but Wright probably felt he won the match at that point.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
Well looks like the Golden Boy De La Hoya is going to make some sort of an announcement on Wednesday June 21.

Will he or won't he retire ? But one thing is for sure, he won't be fighting Mayweather on Sept.16.

What do you guys think ? I am thinking he will retire. He wanted to go out on top, he defeated Mayorga easily and looked good. He is getting up there in age and apparently he has all sorts of lingering ailments.

Plus even if De La Hoya did want to fight, he would only fight Mayweather. Which wouldn't be a contest I think. Mayweather would destroy the Golden Boy.
Banned
May 24, 2006
464 posts
1 upvote
Hey guys sorry to take the flow of this conversation in another direction but, did you hear Manny Pacquiao is gonna fight some guy named Oscar Larios July 2 2006.
Rumour has it that Manny has been partying too much and went to the hospital for exhaustion. I hope Manny can get back on focus and not fall off the map!

BTW, I would love to see "Prince" Naseem Hamed lose all that jail weight, train and have a fight with Pacman. That would be entertaining to watch, though I feel Pacman would beat the living crap outta Naseem (like what Marco Antonio Barrera did but worst). I just miss Naseem Hamed's ring antics.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
:arrowu:

ohhh the Pacman, yeah I just saw the fight schedule after you mentioned it. I love the Pacman, his fights are crazy action-packed battles.

I hope the Pacman hasn't lost focus like you said. That would be a shame if he came in out-of-shape etc.

Hhaha the Prince, he is bad-ass.........cuz he hit and ran someone......
Banned
May 24, 2006
464 posts
1 upvote
ji2o0k wrote: :arrowu:

ohhh the Pacman, yeah I just saw the fight schedule after you mentioned it. I love the Pacman, his fights are crazy action-packed battles.

I hope the Pacman hasn't lost focus like you said. That would be a shame if he came in out-of-shape etc.

Hhaha the Prince, he is bad-ass.........cuz he hit and ran someone......

Yeah but did you see Prince Naseem's prison pictures?! He gained A LOT of weight in there. I wish he didn't go to jail man, he was an entertaining fighter. I think he let his "ring persona" take over his real life identity. He was cocky outside the ring too! Man, sometimes people need to get out of character and just be themselves lol.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
mocha_keisha wrote:Yeah but did you see Prince Naseem's prison pictures?! He gained A LOT of weight in there. I wish he didn't go to jail man, he was an entertaining fighter. I think he let his "ring persona" take over his real life identity. He was cocky outside the ring too! Man, sometimes people need to get out of character and just be themselves lol.
haha I am just reading that he is around 170-180lb ?!!?? His fighting weight was around 125lbs ? Holy crap, I thought with prison, he would have so much time to exercise that he would probably still be in shape. Plus he would want to keep in shape to defend himself against the Bubbas of the jail.........(hhee yeah right, no one would touch him in jail pretty sure). But he really let himself go.........I have to google these pics when I get home tonight.

Prince Naseem might be done. He will be 33-34 when he gets out of jail. On top of that, he has to lose all that weight to trim back down and any boxer that loses so much weight just doesn't seem the same after that IMO.

He hasn't fought in a while either eh ?
Nov 30, 2003
47 posts
1 upvote
Yeah, at this point I would think that IF the Prince makes a comeback (probably unlikely), than it would be a cash-out move. He's a named fighter, one of the most recognizable Brits to hit North America, and that alone can be used as pretty significant bargaining leverage.

But yeah, given his style of fighting (almost purely relying on his reflexes), age and having to lose all the weight he gained over the years will probably work against him in the ring, should he decide to return.

Oh ji2o0k, here's a summary of the Prince's career:

From [IMG]http://www.princenaseem.com/naz.jpg[/IMG]

to [IMG]http://www.boxrec.com/media/images/thum ... arrera.jpg[/IMG]

to [IMG]http://www.topgear.com/content/features ... 1large.jpg[/IMG]

to [IMG]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... arrera.jpg [/IMG]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)