Computers & Electronics

Official Canon Software to turn your DSLR/Mirrorless into a webcam for COVID WAVE 2 Lockdown

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2020 9:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1838 posts
500 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Official Canon Software to turn your DSLR/Mirrorless into a webcam for COVID WAVE 2 Lockdown

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... am-utility

Canon just announced the full release version of the EOS Webcam software and it supports ALOT of cameras, dating back to Rebel T3i from 2011! Just in case you need a webcam but they are all sold out and you have a canon Camera. I used the beta version throughout the lockdown with my 5D mark IV and it quality is mind blowing. Every video conference that I attended resulted in the first 5 min explaining what setup I was using to the attendees lol...
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3414 posts
3530 upvotes
Vancouver
Just a cautionary note about this: photographic cameras are not necessarily designed to have the screen on continuously for long periods of time, and they tend to overheat. I had an expensive Fuji camera with a webcam option burn out from staying on continuously for about half an hour of use as a webcam.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1838 posts
500 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Scote64 wrote: Just a cautionary note about this: photographic cameras are not necessarily designed to have the screen on continuously for long periods of time, and they tend to overheat. I had an expensive Fuji camera with a webcam option burn out from staying on continuously for about half an hour of use as a webcam.
Never had any problems with Canon on the 5D IV. You have the option of turning off the screen while using the software.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5612 posts
2796 upvotes
Mississauga
No love for the Rebel XS?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18003 posts
4560 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: No love for the Rebel XS?
No love for my Rebel XSi either, but to my surprise, my Canon 7D is supported, at least on Windows.

On macOS, it requires a minimum of High Sierra, and neither my Rebel XSi nor my 7D are supported.