• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 11:59 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9536 posts
2258 upvotes
Montreal, QC
coriolis wrote: Anyone use tire liners for their commuter bikes? Thankfully I've been lucky with punctures but as my bike sessions start to get longer (started at 5, 10, currently at 20km), I fear being stranded. Of course I have extra tubes in my bag but for some peace of mind. Or is getting tires with features like extra layers puncture proof material a better buy?

I am specifically looking at Mr Tuffy liners.
wushudrew wrote: Tire liners will help prevent flats in the tread only. If your sidewalls are cut or punctured, you'll still be out of luck. I can't say whether the added weight is worth it, but I personally would prefer a tougher tire with reinforced tread and sidewalls.
Quality tires does make a difference, I used to get flats all the time, turns out if was because of the crappy Conti Ultra Sport I was using (from MEC), since I switched to Vittoria Rubino Pro, no more
Tubes also somewhat makes a difference, don't go with the cheapest ones, the MEC branded tubes are total junk.

The generic ones from Norco/Lambert for roughly the same price are much better quality.

Can't remember the manufacturers, will try to look it up
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43435 posts
6689 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Daijoubu wrote: Quality tires does make a difference, I used to get flats all the time, turns out if was because of the crappy Conti Ultra Sport I was using (from MEC), since I switched to Vittoria Rubino Pro, no more
Tubes also somewhat makes a difference, don't go with the cheapest ones, the MEC branded tubes are total junk.

The generic ones from Norco/Lambert for roughly the same price are much better quality.

Can't remember the manufacturers, will try to look it up
Ooohh true... i always use the cheap tires... sometimes even the Canadian tire ones... i end up fixing flats all the time -_- sometimes i’ll even pay the local bike guy $20 under the tAble to do it cuz im lazy haha
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7131 posts
1893 upvotes
T dot 6
wushudrew wrote: I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Spurcycle bell - made in USA, guaranteed for life. There is no equal.
I actually just received a Spurcycle knock off bell for my beater, commuter bike ($18 on Amazon.ca). I'm certain the original is better in every way, but I've had pedals, seat and post, and lights stolen off my bike and can't have anything of value attached to it. The knock off is decent, not as loud as the other one I bought a few days ago for my cyclocross bike (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VRZ4T7W/ref ... 2438778011) but has a much nicer sound and its very compact.

stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9536 posts
2258 upvotes
Montreal, QC
In the city really, I'm using a electronic horn.
Hornit chinese clones, in the hundread dB, so you have a chance of being heard inside a car
Some even include a light and/or rechargeable.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11746 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
Does anyone own an ebike? I’ve been looking around and doing research. I’m looking for an ebike that will get me up a few hills here in Vancouver proper. At the end of the day I’m tired, old and grumpy. I want an ebike that will help me up the hills.

Will bikes from radbikes, rize etc do this? I’m a pretty big guy and that on top of an already heavy bike has me concerned it won’t do what I want.

I have a normal devinci madrid 8-10 years old now. And not a fan of the hills anymore.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1374 posts
1512 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: Duties are 0% for a bicycle made in USA/Mexico, and 13% if made in other countries. 5% GST also applies no matter where it was made. Bicycles are PST-exempt in BC.
Interesting. Wonder if companies bring in bikes and "finish" making them with decals or something to be able to say "Made in USA" ? (might not be as big a selling point if "Made in Mexico") Anyone in the industry have any insights that they can share?
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11746 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
What exactly determines if it’s “made in the US”? What proof. Aren’t all parts that make up the bike made in China ?

E.g would a US company Propella be considered made in the US?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1374 posts
1512 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: What exactly determines if it’s “made in the US”? What proof. Aren’t all parts that make up the bike made in China ?

A lot of industries manufacture products overseas and just so long as they are providing "value-add" to the item in their "home" country, they are able to label it as "Made in XXX".
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11746 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
In terms of whether the government of Canada charges duty. Would depend on a label saying made in the us? I can never specific information on the CBSA website. I might have to call for clarity. 13% duty is a lot. I wouldn’t want a surprise. Taxes are clear.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11746 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
This may or may not help me. Still muddy. I don’t think it’s NAFTA anymore?

Duty

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), no duty is payable on goods imported for personal use if the good is marked as made in Canada, the United States of America (USA) or Mexico, or if there is no marking or labelling indicating that it was made somewhere other than in Canada, the USA, or Mexico.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9041 posts
10474 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote: What exactly determines if it’s “made in the US”? What proof. Aren’t all parts that make up the bike made in China ?

My bike is a mish-mash of parts made all over the world

Frame, fork, and handlebars: Italy
Derailleurs, hubs, sprockets: Japan
Chain: China
Rims and spokes: Switzerland
Tires: India
Inner tubes, brake levers: Taiwan
Saddle: UK
Rear rack: USA
Assembly: Canada

So where was it "made"? Really hard to say. "Made in Italy" is on the frame, but the frame is less than half of the cost of the components of the bike and 0% of the cost of the Canadian labour that assembled it.
Jun 10, 2007
153 posts
28 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: This may or may not help me. Still muddy. I don’t think it’s NAFTA anymore?

Duty

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), no duty is payable on goods imported for personal use if the good is marked as made in Canada, the United States of America (USA) or Mexico, or if there is no marking or labelling indicating that it was made somewhere other than in Canada, the USA, or Mexico.
It is USMCA now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... _Agreement

CBSA - Estimate duty and taxes https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... l-eng.html

An old article: https://terminalcityriders.ca/articles/ ... to-canada/