• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2023 12:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: This is on the Martin Goodman Trail.
Its a really popular water front trail in Toronto.
From what I remember last winter, the trail gets enough users that the bike path kinda clears itself, or gets packed down.
MGT gets plowed during winter, so you should be fine.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Get these if you know you will be commuting in all types of weather, especially the sleet and your typical small frozen puddles on the path. Dont get these if you will be mainly on dry winter roads or deep snow path / road.
The studded tires, I have used Schwalbe in the past, are very very slow rolling and harsh on dry. But the first time they grip on ice, you are thanking the lords that invented them. Also completely useless in snow, for that you need fat bike level tires with very very low pressure.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Get these if you know you will be commuting in all types of weather, especially the sleet and your typical small frozen puddles on the path. Dont get these if you will be mainly on dry winter roads or deep snow path / road.
The studded tires, I have used Schwalbe in the past, are very very slow rolling and harsh on dry. But the first time they grip on ice, you are thanking the lords that invented them. Also completely useless in snow, for that you need fat bike level tires with very very low pressure.
This is exactly why I've never bothered.
My ride into the city is 12km-ish one way.
There are many more days of riding where roads are clear, and much less where conditions are really bad.
I find regular Marathons are perfect for winter.
If weather is bad, I don"t ride.

Were I to consider riding with studs, I'd go with a two bike setup.
One for most rides, and the other for bad weather.

For winter riding, its massively a mental game.
You need to make riding style adjustments to be safe.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Get these if you know you will be commuting in all types of weather, especially the sleet and your typical small frozen puddles on the path. Dont get these if you will be mainly on dry winter roads or deep snow path / road.
shikotee wrote: This is exactly why I've never bothered.
My ride into the city is 12km-ish one way.
There are many more days of riding where roads are clear, and much less where conditions are really bad.
I find regular Marathons are perfect for winter.
If weather is bad, I don"t ride.

Were I to consider riding with studs, I'd go with a two bike setup.
One for most rides, and the other for bad weather.

For winter riding, its massively a mental game.
You need to make riding style adjustments to be safe.
I plan on doing it even in the worst weather. Anything to not pay $25/day for parking.
I think it will be doable because my entire commute will be on the martin goodman trail.

Thanks for the tips.
Next up. I’m going to post my gear.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
UrbanPoet wrote: I plan on doing it even in the worst weather. Anything to not pay $25/day for parking.
I think it will be doable because my entire commute will be on the martin goodman trail.

Thanks for the tips.
Next up. I’m going to post my gear.
I would walk the 10km than ride that 10km in real shit winter weather. Also that trail is not maintained AFAIK and riding over random black ice, snow drifts and people footprints is absolutely horrible.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I would walk the 10km than ride that 10km in real shit winter weather. Also that trail is not maintained AFAIK and riding over random black ice, snow drifts and people footprints is absolutely horrible.
As already clarified, they clear the trail after snowfall.

https://bikesharetoronto.com/winter-bik ... e%20winter.
Toronto is home to only a small part of the 3600km Great Lakes Waterfront Trail. Popularly known in the city as the Martin Goodman Trail, it spans 22km along Toronto’s waterfront.

Its popularity peaks during the summer months, but is also commonly used in the winter for recreational or commuter use. This is also the longest bike trail that is maintained and cleared by the city throughout the winter.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: What they say and what actually happens are two very different things in my experience on that trail.
That trail is used by many commuters on a regular basis.
I know several who use it regularly, and have not heard complaints that it was never cleared.
The biggest complaint is that there have been occasions, with multiple snowfalls in a short amount of time, where there has been a delay in clearing.
It definitely is not treated as a top priority, such as the primary main streets of Toronto, but that really isn't surprising.

If you have used it on a regular basis over the last few winters, by all means chime in, and provide specifics.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I would walk the 10km than ride that 10km in real shit winter weather. Also that trail is not maintained AFAIK and riding over random black ice, snow drifts and people footprints is absolutely horrible.
Its all good for me. I go camping in the winter. I can easily tough it out.
shikotee wrote: That trail is used by many commuters on a regular basis.
I know several who use it regularly, and have not heard complaints that it was never cleared.
The biggest complaint is that there have been occasions, with multiple snowfalls in a short amount of time, where there has been a delay in clearing.
It definitely is not treated as a top priority, such as the primary main streets of Toronto, but that really isn't surprising.

If you have used it on a regular basis over the last few winters, by all means chime in, and provide specifics.
Its now coming back to me. I was riding my bike and running on that trail last winter occasionally. I ran on the bike path because it was cleared.
The board walk isn’t cleared.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10989 posts
13539 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: This lock is legit
Thieves spent an hour with an angle grinder and multiple disc and unable to break it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/s/uj8aLi8TuM
$400 CAD!
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
ratutry88 wrote: Using liquid nitrogen and a ramset they'd have it open in less than a minute.
How do you do that when its locked tightly to the bike @ an awkward angle without melting the bike or damaging the battery making the theft useless?

Not busting your ballz. Would love to see a test. The lock breaking vids on youtube are fun to watch.
Lol.
Sep 10, 2022
119 posts
219 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: How do you do that
I'd place a thick cloth between the bike and the lock to not damage the paint mostly, the nitrogen will evaporate almost right after hitting it so it's more to protect the paint. You need to make a small notch on the lock to help concentrate the stress(triaxial loading) first so it might take a bit longer than a minute.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
ratutry88 wrote: I'd place a thick cloth between the bike and the lock to not damage the paint mostly, the nitrogen will evaporate almost right after hitting it so it's more to protect the paint. You need to make a small notch on the lock to help concentrate the stress(triaxial loading) first so it might take a bit longer than a minute.
This would have to be a very targeted hit. Would take extra planning to get the liquid nitrogen. Probably not worth it unless someone has the latest obrae / canyon road bike locked up. Lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)